My philosophy is that everyone has the ability to succeed with the right guidance and support. My general ethos with regards to my Lessons is that the students should be at the forefront and be truly engaged in their own learning. I believe that this instils a sense of responsibility, confidence and empowerment for the student. This will be done by encouraging the student to become aware of how they learn, what strategies work for them as an individual and how to overcome challenges to their own learning and progress.
I prefer to thoroughly prepare for the lessons so that I can create or source fun and visual learning resources which will aid in delivering engaging, goal oriented and effective lessons.
The lesson structure will initially start with a short and fun quiz, or past exam questions to review the student’s learning from the previous session. Then, I will go on to teach the planned session with opportunities for questions throughout. When the student feels more confident I will go through some exam style questions and ask that they verbally teach me how they would go about tackling the question. This is because I strongly feel that the ability to teach is a high standard from which to measure a student’s comprehension of a topic.
Nonetheless, I leave some flexibility to allow the students to focus on the specific needs that they may have for that lesson.
Hi! I am Annette, an encouraging and passionate tutor!
I am a first class honours Biomedical Science graduate from King`s College London currently in my 2nd year of Medical school. During my earlier studies I gained 4 A*-As in the International baccalaureate in 6th form and 11A*-A at GCSE level. I believe in making learning engaging and interactive, because succeeding is a little less challenging when we are doing something we enjoy. Instead of allowing my students to view studying as a chore, I believe in cultivating their unique passion for learning and education. In doing so, I believe that my students can then go on to progress even further long after our sessions. Being a current student who is fresh in the education system, I feel I can bring this unique and fresh insight into my teaching styles that I as a student find to be invaluable.
I have 4 years professional experience tutoring, tutoring students from the ages of 9-16 in Mathematics and the sciences.
I hope to work with my students to bring out the best in them, both academically as well as teaching them invaluable life skills they can continue to use in the future.
I am a dedicated 2nd year medical student following the completion of a Biomedical Science degree with a First class honours at Kings College London. My diverse professional profile includes my most prominent role as a leader and contributor to the university-lead Widening Access to Medicine programme. I have also delivered private academic tuition in maths and the sciences for the last 4 years, a role that has allowed my to develop and maintain my high standards of organisation and communications skills. My solutions driven and flexible approach has also enabled me to continue both of these roles in a virtual manner during the COVID-19 pandemic. Alongside these, I have creative pursuits including photography and a health and wellness blog, all of which require excellent communication and organisational skills to maintain at a high standard.
- Teaching and lesson planning
- Leadership of small groups
- Visual merchandising
- Cash register operations
- Basic Life Support (CPR)
- Call handling
- Microsoft office suite
- Friendly and professional communication in a clinical/non-clinical setting
Sep 2019- current
Plymouth University Faculty of Health|Student Ambassador
Acting as a leading student ambassador for the Widening Access to Medicine organisation at Plymouth university, I regularly facilitate and lead a wide range of workshops, events and activities for students across all ages looking to pursue a career in medicine. These include but are not limited to mock interviews, presentations at local schools and colleges and interactive workshops. Maintaining upmost levels of medical professionalism, I confidently and enthusiastically lead sessions which strive to provide students with an exceptional opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and the overall strength of their healthcare profession related university applications.
- Leading groups of student in various interactive tasks
- Teaching individuals and larger groups of students
- Highly organised event planning
- Engaging with and providing constructive feedback to students
- Presenting in front of large groups
- Using Microsoft office suite to create tools to complement events and activities
- Meeting and communicating with various professionals as well as students in an educational setting as a naturally personable point of contact.
- Awarded a Certificate of Commitment
- Letter of gratitude from a student who found my contributions particularly valuable for informing their decision to study medicine.
Sep 2016 – current
My Tutor & Private Tuition|Private Tutor
For almost Four years, I have been a successful and goal-driven academic tutor helping facilitate the academic growth and success of my students. My friendly nature has enabled me to build positive relationships with both parents and students, subsequently leading to the improved confidence, ability and academic test scores of my students.
- Planning and delivering engaging lessons
- Utilising technology (Microsoft office) to provide interactive lessons
- Maintaining a high standard of mathematics and English Language
- Reflecting, providing and receiving constructive feedback
Post Office|Counter Clerk
- Call handling
- Passport check and send
- Business accounting and safe handling
- Cash register trained
- Driving high sales of post office products
- Taking orders
- Delivering excellent customer service
- Serving food and drink
- Cleaning and maintains excellent hygiene standards
Awards and Acknowledgements
- Maurice Wilkins social impact award for the Highest academic attainment in a module on my Undergraduate degree at Kings College London.
- Certificate of commitment to the Plymouth University “Widening access to medical school” organisation as a student ambassador.
- The Student Selected Component Prize for achieving the best overall performance in the student selected research essay module.
Education and Qualifications
2nd Year Medicine, (Graduating in 2025)
First class honours, Biomedical Science, KCL (2019)
International Baccalaureate, Barton Court Grammar School (2014)
References available upon request |
Annette has tutored my daughter and managed to greatly improve not only her grades but her confidence. She is a kind, friendly and enthusiastic tutor who truly cares about her students’ progress. After helping my daughter gain an A in her GCSE I would strongly recommend her to anyone.
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|
|5 hours||Not available||£140||£150|
|10 hours||Not available||£270||£300|