I am an experienced, full-time maths tutor (750+ hours of tuition delivered over 7 years) and personal coach. I have a highly comprehensive understanding of my subject matter having studied it at postgraduate level, however pride myself far more on my ability to communicate this understanding effectively to my students and instil in them a passion for the work that we do together!
In regard to my methods, they will depend largely on the individual learning needs and objectives of the student, which I will explore with them both in the initial lesson and as an ongoing exercise throughout our tutoring journey. With that being said, there will always be some focus on adhering to the following principles:
1) Spaced repetition - so that we are working efficiently and consolidating on previously covered topics to ensure they stay fresh in the student's mind
2) Early work on exam-style questions - to help student's become aware of the level-required of them as well as the way that exam questions are marked and how much time they'll will have to answer them
3) Regular feedback on progress - to give students a realistic understanding of their current level so that together, we can set goals for them which are both ambitious and realistic. Once these goals are in place, we will create a roadmap of how to get there; an invaluable tool in giving structure to our work and helping to assure that we remain on the right track.
While these methods outlined above have been found again and again to be highly effective, it is equally important that we are a good fit for each other as tutor and student. For this reason I offer my first session completely free of charge, with no expectation, so please don't hesitate to get in touch!
Hi, my name is Sam and have been tutoring maths now for 7 years. I have a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Leeds where I graduated with First Class Honours, achieving amongst the top few in my year for a large number of my courses. I have since been pursuing my passion as a tutor and have delivered countless hours of 1-1 tuition to students of all backgrounds from KS1 to Undergraduate level.
- 7 years delivering private tuition to students of ages 10-18
- 700+ hours of GCSE and A-Level Tuition delivered through Tutor Doctor and private tuition
- 1 year tutoring undergraduate maths through the PAL mentoring scheme at The University of Leeds
- 1st Class Bsc (Hons) Mathematics from The University of Leeds
- A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics
- Accredited Diploma in Coaching from Animas Centre for Coaching
- DBS Full Disclosure (previously called a CRB check)
Sam has been tutoring me A'level maths since September 2020, he is 100% reliable and always punctual. He used to come to my home to tutor me but then we moved to online tutoring which has proved to be just as effective. Sam is exceptionally patient and can explain things to me in lots of different ways until I get a full understanding. We often work through problems together so Sam can see where I am making mistakes and he guides me so I can identify the correct method for myself.
Sam has been teaching me maths for over a year and I have understood and gained so much knowledge from every lesson. He explains difficult concepts very clearly and always gives me questions to practice. Also, Sam is a very friendly person and I enjoy talking to him during our lessons. I would recommend Sam to anyone who is looking for outstanding maths tutoring.
Sam is a great tutor who is excellent at explaining anything I need help with! He is reliable and helps with all aspects of the A level course.
I've found working with Sam had not only given me more confidence to pass my GCSE with the highest grade but also increased my critical numerical understanding and intuition so that I tackle maths topics much faster and feel more prepared for A-Level Maths.
Sam tutored my son for the last year of his Maths GCSE. Before the pandemic, Sam came to our home. He was always punctual and very courteous. Sam’s tutoring played a significant role in my son doing well in his Maths GCSE. He is very patient and calm and extremely clear in his teaching. Now Sam is tutoring my daughter Maths online. This is invaluable considering how much schooling she has missed due to the pandemic. Again, he always explains things clearly and readily consolidates topics and processes with her. Sam is engaging and friendly. My daughter is making good progress in Maths, a subject she can find challenging.
Sam is definitely an A* Maths tutor.
Sam tutored two of my daughters in 2020 - one in year 11 whose GCSEs were then cancelled and then her younger sister whose lessons were online and who will be doing her GCSEs in 2021. Sam was very knowledgeable of the course and content, patient with the girls, good at explaining concepts, easy to understand, easy to communicate with - Orla said he made maths so much easier! He is young and so the girls found him approachable and understanding of their situation. I would have no hesitation in using Sam again or in recommending him to others.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|