I give lessons to all ages and standards and mould my lessons to the individual student.
I focus on breathing and a good strong basic technique, because without that playing the flute is very difficult. Once the student understands the basic technique required, I will help them learn pieces and show them how to practise the pieces in a productive and thorough way.
I am a disciplined teacher and a bundle of fun at heart, I like students to engage so that we can work together and enjoy the process.
Teaching is my passion and I believe learning a musical instrument is so good for the mind.
In 2017 Rebecca completed her Masters Degree being awarded Distinction by The Royal Academy of Music, where she studied with Samuel Coles (Principal flute Philharmonia), Karen Jones (Principal flute London Sinfonietta), William Bennett (Former Principal flute English Chamber Orchestra) and Helen Keen (Former Principal Piccolo Royal Philharmonic Orchestra).
Rebecca also received a BMUS after completing her undergraduate degree at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Here she studied classical flute principally with Philippa Davies, Sarah Newbold and Ian Clarke.
Brought up in Scotland, Rebecca started learning the recorder at primary school and progressed onto the flute at the age of 8yrs. She received private tuition from Sheena Gordon, professor of flute at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama and previously a member of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. In 2005 she won a full scholarship to study as a specialist musician at Wells Cathedral School in Somerset, which offered a unique opportunity and environment for her to develop her musical talent. During her time there Rebecca was involved in many performance opportunities both within the school and outside it.
She was a member both of the National Children’s Orchestra and the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain. In 2007 she won first prize in the British Flute Society Intermediate competition. In 2011 and 2012 she was principal flute with the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland. In 2013 she won the prestigious Needlemakers Woodwind Prize at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. In 2014 she was privileged to be given an Ian Fleming Award by Help Musicians UK.
Since graduating Rebecca has been working as a regular extra for the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, sitting as Principal and Sub Principal flute. She also does other regular extra work with the English National Ballet Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra and Various other orchestras and ensembles.
Rebecca is a passionate teacher and has taught in schools both in London and Bournemouth for many years, alongside giving private flute tuition face to face and online to all ages and standards.
She adores teaching and considers it is as extremely important and fulfilling to pass on her knowledge and love of music to others, as it is to pursue her future performance career. She believes that whatever the level or aspiration of a student, learning an instrument is an exciting, rewarding and joyful experience. Rebecca loves many genres of music including, folk, dance, rock, classical, bigband. She also teaches piano grades 1 – 5 and theory as she studied this throughout school.
This year Rebecca has also completed a teaching licentiate awarded by the Royal Academy of Music.
REBECCA LOUISE CARSON
Address: Flat 2, Carlton House, 2 Cavendish Road
Email: (concealed information)
Tel: 07(concealed information)
Tutor in: Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo.
• Royal Academy of Music, Master of Arts in Performance, Awarded – Distinction (Sept 2015 - July 2017).
• Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Bachelor of music (Hons), (2010 – 2014).
• Wells Cathedral School, Somerset (music scholarship), (2005 – 2010).
• Glenmoor and Winton school – Peripatetic woodwind tutor.
• Coaching chamber music at the Cambridge Summer Music School – current.
• ‘Our Ladies of Victories’ School, South Kensington – Peripatetic Woodwind Tutor (2018).
• Merton Music Foundation, Morden – Peripatetic Woodwind Tutor, teaching individuals lessons. (2017).
• Employed by ECAM - Every Child a Musician, completed training. A programme run by Newham Borough Council, providing children in years 3,4,5 and 6 with free music tuition. Part Time Peripatetic Woodwind Tutor - taking whole class and small groups lessons (2017).
• Self employed - Peripatetic part time Woodwind Teacher (2011) - current.
• Coram’s Nursery, Russell Square, London – A workshop working with nursery children introducing them to music. Singing nursery songs, having fun introducing and playing music to them, ages 0-4, also performing my instrument. (March 2015)
• Orphanage in Senahasa, Galle, Sri Lanka - Voluntary work, General duties looking after the day to day welfare of the children. (August 2015 - September 2015).
Professional Orchestral Experience: (Ongoing)
• Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra – Freelance work, Principal Flute, Sub Principal Flute and Principal piccolo.
• Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Freelance work, Sub Principal Flute
• Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra – Freelance work, Sub Principal Flute
• BBC Symphony Orchestra – Freelance Work, Sub Principal Flute
• English National Ballet - Freelance work, Sub Principal Flute and Principal Piccolo.
• City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra – Freelance work
• Orpheus Sinfonia – Sub Principal Flute.
• London Electronic Orchestra with Music Producer Kate Simko and singer Katy B. Elgar Room, Albert Hall, March 2018. (Solo Flute).
• Extra player for The Halle Orchestra
• Britten Sinfonia – Freelance work, Sub Principal Flute.
• Ensemble Alba - Freelance work, Solo Flute (An ensemble based in Dumfriesshire).
Other Orchestral and Chamber Experience:
• Royal Academy of Music Symphony Orchestra, Second flute, (conductor - Sir Mark Elder, 2nd December 2016).
• Royal Academy of Music Opera, Principal flute, (conductor - Gareth Hancock, 7th - 11th March 2016).
• New Music Ensemble ‘A genuine coming together’, Piccolo, London Contemporary Music Festival, (14th December 2015).
• Royal Academy of Music Concert Orchestra, Piccolo, (conductor - Yan Pascal Tortelier, 24th November 2015).
• Guildhall New Music Ensemble, Flute, Wigmore Hall, (May 2015).
• Guildhall Symphony Orchestra, Piccolo, (conductor - Jaime Martin, 20th March 2014).
• BBC Symphony Orchestra’s Total Immersion Series, BBC Radio 3, Villa Lobos ‘Jet Whistle’ for flute and cello, (15th February 2014).
• National Youth Orchestra of Scotland, Principal flute, (2011).
• Wells Cathedral School Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra, Principal flute, (2005 - 2010).
• Flute soloist with Wells Cathedral School String Chamber Orchestra performing
Pipe Dreams by Carl Vine, London, (2009).
• National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, Second flute, (2007 - 2008).
• National Childrens’ Orchestra of Great Britain, (2004 - 2006).
• 2014 - Awarded a Fleming award of £4,000 by Help Musicians.
• 2013 - Winner of The Needlemakers Competition (GSMD woodwind competition).
• 2010 - Entrance Scholarship for duration of study at GSMD.
• 2007 - Winner of British Flute Society Intermediate Competition.
• 2005 - Full scholarship to study as a specialist musician at Wells
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest flute lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, piccolo flute lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|