I am a French native tutor, living in the UK since 2000. I currently teach French to a variety of students who are mainly preparing for different school exams.
I also teach primary school children and adults at any level.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach French and I have been tutoring for over 10 years now. I have references and testimonials from my previous students. NEW GROUP LESSON AVAILABLE.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
Level 2 Certificate in supporting teaching and learning in schools, Mar 2010
(Distinction) CALAT, Croydon
Level 4 Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector, Aug 2009
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) French Studies, May 2005
Birkbeck College, London
- How much do you charge?
£28.00 GCSE, IGCSE
£25.00 Adults (any level)
£28.00 A level
£28.00 Primary and secondary ( Foundation, KS1, KS2, KS3)
£15.00 for 30 minutes
Saturday GCSE group lesson limited places £18.00
Group lesson available.
- Where do you teach?
I teach from home. Areas covered Croydon, Purley, Wallington, Coulsdon, Sanderstead, Sutton.
I can travel for an additional fee.
- When are you available?
Weekends / Weekdays (all times). NEW GROUP LESSON AVAILABLE.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Any ages and any levels.
For young children 30 minutes is sometimes preferable but I stay flexible.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
13+, GCSE, IGCSE and 'A' level.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Everything is possible if you are patient and ready to work hard towards your personal goals.
My aim is always to assist my students with structured tuition to achieve their goals in French within a flexible, friendly and relaxed environment.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have experienced teaching French in a primary school for key stage 2. I also tutor primary, secondary and adults from home. The majority of my students are preparing for their GCSE, IGCSE or A level examinations. I have further experience teaching in a nursery for 3 to 5 year-olds and also adults conversational French at a language club in London. I use various learning styles and adapt my teaching methods for the students.
Nursery school ( Foundation stage ):
The earlier children are exposed to foreign languages, the easier it is for them to assimilate the new language. I make the learning fun and I place more emphasis on lots of games, stories, singing and miming.
Primary school (key stage 1and 2):
Children learn French in a fun, educational and enjoyable way by the use of role play, games, stories, and songs. I would teach children through the four skills of speaking, listening, writing and reading.
Pupils should be able to:
• Use a wide range of vocabulary and simple sentences.
• Learn about the country and the culture
• Initiate simple conversations
• Use proper pronunciation and intonation
• Respond appropriately to spoken language
• Apply simple aspects of grammar
Secondary school (Key stage 3 and key stage 4, GCSE):
Lessons follow the curriculum guidelines covering a variety of topics:
• Lifestyle and Health
• Social issues and equality
• Free Time and the Media
• Advantages and disadvantages of new technology
• Home and Environment
• Work and Education
Lessons are tailored to the students' needs and expectations:
• Conversational skills
• Listening and reading-comprehension
• Grammar, covering all tenses
• Wide range of vocabulary
• Translation and dictation
• Role play and photo cards description
I use past papers, subject specific dialogues, assessments and curriculum resources to build confidence and prepare for exams.
Subjects contents may vary:
• Media ( television, advertising or new technology)
• Culture ( cinema, music, fashion/trend )
• Healthy living/lifestyle (Sport, holidays, health and well-being)
• Family/relationships (Friendships, relationships with family, marriage/partnerships)
• Pollution / energy and protecting the planet
The multicultural society:
• Immigration / integration / racism
Contemporary social issues:
• Wealth and poverty
• Law and order
• Impact of scientific and technological progress
In addition discussions are based on newspaper articles and debates about current French affairs or news. This is invaluable in helping to improve your understanding and conversational skills.
French conversational skills on various topics from holiday to business. We agree on the objectives and a learning plan to ensure the best teaching approach.
I have a wide range of resources and books.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
I have got a valid CRB disclosure certificate and a French "casier judiciaire national"
- Tell me about some of your current students.
My current students are learning a foreign language for either a specific qualification such as GCSE, a job or just for fun. I also have several adult students from beginners to advanced level. I have children from many backgrounds, including students of comprehensive, grammar and private schools.
• Bachelor of Arts (Hons) French Studies
• Level 4 Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector
• Up to date CRB
Dorothee has been teaching our two children for the last three years. They enjoy and like French in school but we felt they would benefit from 1-to-1 tuition from a native speaker. The feedback we get from them is that lessons are always fun and a mixture of different language skills such as speaking, grammar, writing and awareness about France and its culture. Dorothee always uses a variety of techniques, from standard books and CDs and other internet resources. We could not recommend her more highly.
Thank you so much for all of your help and support in French. I feel as if every session has benefited my knowledge and understanding of French. Thank you so much for helping me.
Thank you for helping me get higher grades in French, You have really helped . I am going to miss coming here every Saturday.
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||£20||Not available|