I aim not only to support students in achieving the best possible grades in a given subject but also to encourage them to develop their confidence and abilities in ways that are transferable to other subjects and areas of life. In keeping with this philosophy, I always strive to promote free and critical thinking in students, as I firmly believe these skills are indispensable to any educational or vocational domain.
My services include general subject support, exam and test preparation, interview preparation and advice on effective research practice.
I am an experienced, Edinburgh-based tutor offering personalised tutorials to students of all ages, levels and abilities.
I recently completed my PhD in Philosophy at the University of Sussex and hold an MSc and MA in Philosophy from the University of Edinburgh. I have tutoring experience at primary, secondary and undergraduate level.
2015-2019 PhD in Philosophy, University of Sussex
Viva Voce: July 2019
Graduation: January 2020
2015 Master of Science Mind, Language and Embodied Cognition (1st/Distinction), University of Edinburgh.
2012 Master of Arts with Honours Philosophy, University of Edinburgh.
2012 Teaching English as a Foreign Language Qualification, TEFL Scotland.
RECENT EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
2016 Associate Tutor.
University of Sussex.
• Plan, manage and run undergraduate tutorials in Philosophy.
• Mark and provide feedback on student coursework and exams.
• Provide advice for students on academic and pastoral issues.
2012-2016 Private Tutor.
• Assist primary and secondary school students with their school work.
• Help students to improve their general study skills.
• Liaise with parents and students to coordinate solutions to issues impacting on academic performance.
2012-2015 Sales Assistant.
Walker Slater Ltd.
• Manage national and international shipping from the Walker Slater Ltd. menswear store.
• Handle customer queries and complaints.
• Recognize and mitigate security risks.
• Assist in marketing efforts while building rapport with customers by inviting them to special store events.
2009-2015 Costumed Interpreter.
Artemis Scotland Ltd.
• Communicate historical information to members of the public at historic sites across Scotland.
• Welcome onsite visitors and respond to their history-related queries.
• Coordinate the portrayal of historical characters with other team members.
• Provide public tours for visitors to historic sites across Scotland.
• Research relevant historical information.
FUNDING & AWARDS
2018-2019 – The Royal Institute of Philosophy Jacobsen Studentship. PhD studentship awarding £8000.
2015-2018 – Arts and Humanities Research Council Studentship. Three-year PhD studentship providing a stipend of approximately £14,000 per annum and covering all fees for that period.
2015 – Missing Shade of Blue, essay prize. UK based annual postgraduate essay competition.
2017 Lead Organiser and fundraiser. Conference, ‘Computation and Representation in Cognitive Science’, University of Sussex, July 2017.
2016-2017 Lead Organiser. Reading group, Cog-Phi, University of Sussex.
2016-2016 Lead Organiser. Seminar group, E-Intentionality, University of Sussex.
2013-2015 Lead Organiser. ‘Representation & Intentionality’, ‘Philosophy of Anthropology’ and ‘Natural Kinds’ reading groups, University of Edinburgh.
2014 Organiser. Conference, ‘iCog 2: Perspectives on Learning’, University of Edinburgh.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£30||£30|