Hello, my name is Tommy and I'm an experienced and passionate tutor, specialising in EFL, 11+, Acting, Public Speaking and Elocution/Accent Reduction.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
EFL for child and adult learners
11+ for state grammar and private schools
English Creative Writing and Comprehension for 11+
Acting classes for Drama School Auditions
- Tell me about your qualifications:
BA Joint Honours in English Literature and Drama, The University of Birmingham
2 Year Professional Acting Course at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA)
120-Hour TEFL Certificate - Distinction
Educated at John Hampden Grammar School, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
3 A Levels: English Literature (A), History (A), Government and Politics (B)
1 AS Level: Geography (A)
10 GCSE's: 5A*s, 1A, 4Bs
- How much do you charge?
Between £35.00/ph and £45.00/ph dependent on travel time and subject level.
- Where do you teach?
I am happy to travel within the London Boroughs and can sometimes teach at my home in Streatham.
- When are you available?
I am available after school, at weekends, and through school holidays
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I have taught students from 5 - 50 years
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I have been told that learning with me is intellectually stimulating and, most importantly, fun! Knowledge is power but it's also extremely enjoyable, and I aim to draw that quality out of my lessons.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have worked with both young and adult EFL learners, including working with Lewisham and Southwark College. Student needs have included preparation for IELTS, business English, ESP, accent reduction and general conversational assistance.
Working with children on their preparation for both state school 11+ grammar school entry and private 11+ entrance exams. Working with children on Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning, English and Maths.
Examples of schools for which I have been preparing students: Weald of Kent Grammar, Tonbridge Grammar, Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar (Kent), St. Olave's Grammar, Dulwich College, Emanuel School, Francis Holland School, Queen's Gate School, The Laurels School
Recent 11+ students have attained places at St. Dunstan's College, Whitgift School, Wallington County Grammar School, Weald of Kent Grammar School, Wimbledon High School
- Wide ranging experience of working with young actors and adult actors. Mainly helping students in their applications for drama schools. I have personal experience of audition processes at LAMDA, RADA, Guildhall and Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, as well as having worked with students on their applications for these schools and others.
- Work on accents, accent reduction, elocution and voice.
- Worked with businessmen and women in elocution and accent reduction so that they can be more clearly understood in the workplace.
- Worked with clients from all of over the UK and Europe and the Far East.
- Offer Skype/FaceTime teaching.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
I hold a current DBS and am subscribed to the DBS Update Service, which can be checked by anyone at any time upon request.
• BA English Literature and Drama at University of Birmingham
• Postgraduate 2 Year Professional Acting at LAMDA, 120-hour TEFL Certificate
Tommy's always on time, thoroughly prepared, and he really cares about every student. They learn much more than just the subjects he teaches - he's a great role model and a polite, friendly and fun guy to have as a tutor!
Tommy is a great tutor. Thorough, approachable, positive, focussed and has an excellent way with children. My daughter gained a lot from these classes personally and by achieving her LAMDA grade. Highly recommend!
Tommy is a brilliant tutor whom I can highly recommend - his lessons are interesting and enjoyable. He’s also punctual and efficient in responding to messages and arranging classes
Tommy is very thorough, always on time and makes sure we get a full hour of teaching, even if we have chatted for 10 minutes first. He's extremely thorough and hasn't ever cancelled a single lesson. He's also very flexible, so can axcomodate my busy schedule.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||£40|
|5 hours||Not available||£200||£200|
|10 hours||Not available||£350||£400|