I teach BSL at all levels from Level 1 to Level 6 NVQ, and also have experience teaching below Level 1, working with preschool children to develop their every day signing skills and doing BSL activities with them. I know the Signature curricula for Levels 1, 2, 3 and NVQ 6 very well, and I know how to teach ensuring that the assessment criteria are covered for all units. For Levels 3 and 6, I am experienced in teaching students how to do their clips, profile, etc for their portfolio. I also provide tips and guidance to students on getting involved in the Deaf community, as well as teaching vocabulary, grammar and BSL linguistics. I love BSL linguistics and continue my learning about linguistics every day.
I am a BSL teacher with many years' teaching experience, and I am a Deaf BSL user. I have taught students of all ages, from babies up to adults, including working professionals and adults with learning difficulties. I'm a qualified teacher and I ensure I update my training every year. I live in London and have a strong knowledge of regional signs.
I am available to do one to one tutorials with students as needed, to develop students' confidence and to help students practise before their exams, and I am experienced in providing such tutorials. I have lots of resources and handouts that I've developed in relation to the curricula.
Assessor/ BSL Teacher (2009-present)
• Course tutor
• Promote and advertise BSL Level 1 & 2 course
• Creating power point presentations, sourcing appropriate handouts and creating resources
• Following the course curriculum and procedures
• Responsible for assessing students competency and needs
• Booking examinations and assessment through online portals
• Organizing paperwork and course folders finding new resources and material
• Working with a group of students and giving one to one guidance and support.
BSL 3, 4 & NVQ 6 (2012-present)
• Course teacher
• Promote and advertise the course
• Teach students advanced linguistics, receptive and conversation work.
• Making sure every student is included within the class and to promote the involvement of students in outside situations. (E.g. Deaf community/deaf clubs etc)
• Ensure students are committed to individual learning outside of class
• Organizing paperwork and course folders finding & creating new resources and material.
• Following the course curriculum and procedures
After school club
• Teaching children Y1 & Y2 basic BSL; including activities, games, and songs to encourage children to develop another language and to gain deaf awareness.
EDS charity – 2013 - Present
A1 Assessor/ NVQ British Sign Language Level 3 & 6
Duties: Signature qualification, teach and assess student profiles.
National Deaf Children Society – 2008-2015
Deaf Role Model
-Attend residential workshops all over the UK, teaching young deaf children to develop their signing, encourage learning and increase their confidence and develop their deaf identity. Ensuring all those are proud to be deaf.
Lister Community School – 2011 - 2016
British Sign Language Level 1 & 2 Teacher
Teaching deaf and hearing students how to sign British Sign Language in a large and successful comprehensive. Providing a classroom presence and contributing to the positive ethos of the school.
• Teaching British Sign Language level 1 and 2 curricula by Signature.
• Helping deaf pupils to identify deaf. Recording and monitoring a student’s attendance.
• Marking work and giving appropriate feedback to pupils.
• Managing pupils' behaviour in the classroom.
• Preparing coursework for students and the class.
Deaf awareness training
I have trained no less 300 police officers and staff from the Metropolitan Police services. Some of these achieved high acclaim, successfully completing their BSL level 3 NVQ
Perfect! You pretaught me a lot of vocabulary for the Signature Level 3 video in the first lesson, but I didn't realise you were doing that, so I thought it strange you were teaching me / checking those words, but of course that was useful.
I have done that video before with a previous teacher, but some time ago. He did a LOT of Signature Level 3 videos with me. I think he didn't do the 2 most recent videos with me.
I'd like to have another lesson as soon as possible because I'm unemployed and it would be fantastic to pass the Level 3 receptive. Before the summer break seems unlikely, but just in case... I realise that if I've seen a video before that has been fully explained to me, it will be much easier. You can see I really have a problem with finger spelling receptive skills.
When are you free to teach me again ?
Perfect! Excellent first lesson - I wasn't sure what to expect yet Alice made it all so easy. She put me at my easy straight away and conveyed information and techniques from the get go - can't wait for the next lessons. Brava.
Perfect! So patient, kind and really effective teaching!!
Perfect! Alice is an excellent teacher, very efficient, patient and thorough.
Perfect! Our first lesson with Alice has got to be the best first lesson I’ve had in 20 years of learning and development. Professional, fun, responsive and I already have some key learnings that I can use in between lessons. Thank you, Alice!
Perfect! She is amazing! The best teacher I’ve ever had
Perfect! Alice is an excellent teacher. She made the task quite easy to comprehend and to follow.
Perfect! Alice is amazing!
I'm so glad I found Alice as a tutor.
I'm new to signing and wanted to learn because I'm a teacher and would like to communicate with any student or parent who communicates through signing.
Alice is patient, kind, organised and a pleasure to speak to.
Thank you for everything you've done to help me so far.
Perfect! Alice is wonderful, attentive and incredibly knowledgeable. Would highly recommend her teaching.
Perfect! Very clear and responsive teaching, professional, personable and encouraging. Great lesson.
sign language lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|