I encourage strong reading skills and with an all-round thorough approach to technical control and abilities. I aim to make my lessons fun, engaging and widespread with careful attention to all key aspects of music in stylistic awareness, aural skills, time-keeping, musical communication and the ability to busk / learn songs and new repertoire. I can offer lessons in specialised areas for advanced students and provide advice on gear, work experience, opportunities and home study of all aspects of the instrument(s).
I have been teaching for over 20 years across LEA's, Higher Education and private schools. I have also been a music examiner for Trinity College London for 12 years and now I am also a part-time examiner for Rockschool. I have tutored over 300 candidates to a 100% grade exam pass rate with 96% of those achieving either Merit or Distinction level. A number of my students have achieved Grade 8 level, several of whom later became professional musicians and music educators themselves.
£35 for advanced students (post-Grade 8, diploma / degree level, professional musicians) and distances further afield may be provided at possible extra accommodation costs. Cancelation policy is strictly the full fee within 48 hours prior to the agreed lesson time.
DRUM KIT, PERCUSSION & KEYBOARDS (MUSIC PERFORMANCE / SESSION MUSICIAN)
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC TEACHER & MUSIC EXAMINER (MUSIC EDUCATION)
Date of Birth: October 29th, 1973 (age 45)
Marital Status: Engaged
Nationality: British (UK passport holder)
Car owner with current full driving licence
Health and Employment record excellent
DBS cleared annually
Musicians Union member with £10 million Public Liability Insurance cover
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
• Graduate Diploma in Jazz, Contemporary & Popular Music (City of Leeds College Of Music, 1992 - 1995)
• A-Level (1) Music (De Aston Secondary Comprehensive School, 1985 - 1992)
• GCSE (8) Music, Maths, English Language, English Literature, Geography, History, I.T., Law & Society
(De Aston Secondary Comprehensive School, 1985 - 1992)
• Grade 8 Drum Kit distinction (Guildhall, 1990)
• Grade 8 Orchestral Percussion distinction (Guildhall, 1990)
• Grade 5 Piano (Associated Board, 1989)
• Grade 5 Theory of Music (Guildhall, 1989)
CAREER REVIEW (MUSIC EDUCATION)
• MUSIC EXAMINER / ROCKSCHOOL (RSL Ltd) EXAMINATIONS BOARD (2018 – present / part-time)
• MUSIC EXAMINER / TRINITY COLLEGE LONDON EXAMINATIONS BOARD (2006 – 2017)
Drum Kit & Percussion Specialist Examiner (2006-2017), ‘Rock & Pop’ Syllabus Examiner (2011-2017), Generalist Music Examiner (2014-2017)
Involves examining, workshop and ambassadorial duties globally. Countries worked in include South Africa, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, U.A.E., Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Cyprus, Italy, Malta, Republic of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. The administering of approximately 30,000 exams as a music examiner over eleven years in total for Trinity College London.
• INSTRUMENTAL TUTOR / DRUM KIT, PERCUSSION & PIANO (1995 – present)
Private & Freelance Instrumental Tutor with over twenty years experience for various Education Authorities, Private Institutions and Education Establishments. I have a 100% pass rate from approximately 300 candidates entered into graded music exams with 96% achieving either Merit or Distinction level.
One-to-one tuition, group tuition and wider opportunities classroom tuition. Conducting and Musical Direction of varying ensembles (Orchestras, Wind Ensembles, Rock Bands, Big Bands, Samba Groups) and Workshop Leader in subjects including GCSE Music Composition, Ensemble Playing, Popular Music, Samba Music and General Percussion. Teaching posts in Primary, Secondary & Higher Education and the preparation and performance of musical items for the visit of HRH Queen Elizabeth II to the national education conference at St.Georges Hall, Bradford (1998). I have tutored many young drummers and percussionists up to and beyond Grade 8 and witnessed several of my students continue to become professional performers and music educators themselves in later years.
Previous posts include;
• ACKWORTH SCHOOL, Pontefract, West Yorkshire (2003 - 2008)
• QUEEN ELIZABETH GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Wakefield, West Yorkshire (2007 - 2008)
• LINCOLNSHIRE MUSIC SERVICE PERIPATETIC TUTOR (1999 - 2004)
• BRADFORD MUSIC SERVICE PERIPATETIC TUTOR (1995 - 1998)
• ROUNDHAY MUSIC PERIPATETIC TUTOR (Leeds) & YORK UNIVERSITY DRUM KIT TUTOR (1999 - 2005)
• WORKSHOP FACILITATOR FOR ‘SOUND 52’ & ‘THE FIREBIRD TRUST’, Lincolnshire (1998 - 2002)
CAREER REVIEW (MUSIC PERFORMANCE & RELATED)
• FREELANCE SESSION AND TOURING MUSICIAN IN DRUM KIT, ORCHESTRAL PERCUSSION, LATIN PERCUSSION & PIANO / KEYBOARDS (1992 – 2012 / full-time, 2012 – present / part-time)
Performances across many genres of music and throughout over 30 countries worldwide. Numerous UK & European tours throughout theatres, concert halls & arenas / stadiums plus work for TV & Radio amongst many commercial studio and live recordings. Summer seasons, cruise ships and pantomime contracts with performances, recordings and tours for many musical artists and throughout performance settings including stage, festival, corporate, web-based, television, film, radio and internet streaming events. Musical Director (M.D.) for several productions and artists with many self-penned compositions and arrangements also used commercially and for varying musical settings.
Artists worked for include;
JOE LONGTHORNE MBE, ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK, PETER GRANT, MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS (U.S.A.), GEORGIE FAME, THE DRIFTERS (U.S.A.), BUCKS FIZZ, CHARLIE GRACIE (U.S.A.), CRAIG DOUGLAS, ALBERT LEE, BOZ BOORER, JOHN DAVID, PETE PRITCHARD, LIAM GRUNDY, DARIUS BRUBECK, LESLEY GARRETT CBE, DANNY LA RUE OBE, JESS CONRAD OBE
Orchestras, Brass Bands, Big Bands & Wind Ensembles include;
BLACK DYKE MILLS BRASS BAND (Principal Percussion), GRIMETHORPE COLLIERY BRASS BAND (Principal Percussion), JAYESS QUEENSBURY BRASS BAND (Principal Percussion), STOCKSBRIDGE ENGINEERING STEELS BRASS BAND, BRITISH PHILHARMONIC CONCERT ORCHESTRA, WELSH NATIONAL OPERA, NATIONAL FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA, EAST OF ENGLAND ORCHESTRA, YORKSHIRE CHAMBER ORCHESTRA, LEEDS SINFONIA, LINCOLN SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA, YORKSHIRE WIND ENSEMBLE, MOONLIGHT SERENADE ORCHESTRA, GORDON TETLEY BIG BAND (15-year residency)
Orchestras & Ensembles under the batons of;
SIR RON GOODWIN, SIR NEVILLE MARRINER, PETER DANIEL, JOHN ANDERSON, ROBERT CHILDS, MAJOR PETER PARKES, PROFESSOR JAMES WATSON
Theatre Productions include;
• ‘THE RAT PACK, LIVE FROM LAS VEGAS’ (M.D.), ‘THE ELVIS COLLECTION’, ‘WINTER DANCE PARTY’ (M.D.), ‘BUDDY HOLLY, A LEGEND REBORN’ (M.D.), ‘BE BOP A LULA’, ‘ROCK’N’ROLL PARADISE’, ‘RAVE ON’, ‘THE DIAMOND STORY’, ‘CROONERS’, ‘THE ULTIMATE BEACH PARTY’ ‘THE VOICE OF ROY ORBISON’, ‘THE POWER & THE GLORY’, ‘THE ADDAMS FAMILY’, ‘ELVIS ROCKS’, ‘HANK, CASH, CLINE’, ‘BUDDY v THE KILLER’
• Amateur Operatic Show Productions include; ‘WEST SIDE STORY’, ‘JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR’, ‘GREASE’, ‘ME & MY GIRL’, ‘SHOWBOAT’, ‘THE KING AND I’, ‘LA CAGE AUX FOLLES’, ‘CARMEN’, ‘PIRATES OF PENZANCE’ amongst many more
• Nine pantomime contracts at Harrogate Theatre (72+ shows per season), one at Sheffield Lyceum Theatre
Corporate Function Acts include;
THE RAT PACK BOYS (M.D.), BENNY LEE & THE WHISTLE STOP FIVE, THE RAT PACK TRIO, SCHWING, THE ‘A’ BAND, GOURMET MUSIC, YORKSHIRE EVENTS COMPANY ENSEMBLES, THE MINI BIG BAND, THE SIMON FAULKNER BAND, PHIL LYONS NEW VINTAGE
Countries performed in include;
Spain, Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy, Latvia, France, Cyprus, Russia, U.S.A., Mexico, U.A.E.
Venues performed at include;
London Palladium, Ronnie Scotts / London, Pizza Express / London, Brixton Academy, Manchester Apollo, Manchester Bridgewater Hall, Birmingham Symphony Hall, Bristol Colston Hall, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, London Barbican Centre, Edinburgh Playhouse, The Sage / Gateshead, Leicester De Montfort Hall, Blackpool Opera House, Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, Cardiff St David’s Hall, Shepherds Bush Empire / London, 02 Indigo / London + most UK provincial theatres and many European concert halls, auditoriums, arenas & stadiums
Seasonal contracts, Cruise Ship companies and Festivals performed at include;
Royal Variety Club of Great Britain, Blackpool Grand Theatre, Blackpool North Pier, Max Jaffer Summer Season / Scarborough Spa Orchestra, Hafan-Y-Mor (Pwllheli), Primrose Valley (Filey), Golden Sands (Mablethorpe), Norwegian Cruise Lines (Carribean & Central America), Seabourn Cruise Lines (Baltics), Viking Line (Scandinavia), Color Line (Scandinavia), Pride of Bilbao (Spain), First Hotels, EURO 96 (Nottingham Forest FC, Leeds United FC, Newcastle United FC), Summer Jamboree (Italy), Hemsby Rock’n’Roll Festival, Burnley Blues Festival, Colne Rhythm’n’Blues Festival, Aldborough Festival, Leeds Waterside Festival, Dublin Jazz Festival
Original acts, artists and projects include;
CATHOUSE CREEPERS, LISA GEORGE & THE PEDALOS, THE BIG HEAT, CHOCANTE, FAT SAMMY & THE PLAYBOYS, LOUIS LOUIS LOUIS, PHIL HALEY & HIS COMMENTS, SHAWN HARVEY, THREE LITTLE BOPS, THE SLINGSHOTS, PINK PEG SLAX, THE SHIVERS, THE GONE DADDIES
Artists & Bands performed as supporting act for include;
CHUCK BERRY, LITTLE RICHARD, CHAKA KHAN, DIANE SCHUUR, TANIA MARIA, STRAY CATS, JOOLS HOLLAND RHYTHM’N’BLUES ORCHESTRA, TAKE THAT, RONAN KEATING, HEATHER SMALL
Personal music projects and collaborations include;
‘THE CAT PACK’ (2000 - 2009)
A 19-piece big band in the style of 1930’s - 1950’s Swing & Rhythm’n’Blues with a modern day take similar to that of the Jools Holland Rhythm’n’Blues Orchestra and the Brian Setzer Orchestra. The recording and commercial release of two albums on Raucous Records and BBC Big Band Competition award winners in 2002 (Malcolm Strachan / Best Soloist Award). The band’s repertoire included approximately 80 of my own compositions and arrangements with appearances including supports for Chuck Berry & Little Richard and at many leading UK Jive, Swing and Rhythm’n’Blues festivals. Highly active on the UK corporate function circuit including appearances at the National Railway Museum / York, Longleat House / Bath, Bristol Colston Hall, Gateshead Stadium and for companies including Pfizer, Sainsburys, Leeds Royal Armouries and the Yorkshire Evening News. Self-promoted theatre shows at Leeds City Varieties, Oldham Coliseum and Burnley Mechanics with further appearances at Blackpool Opera House, Halifax Victoria Theatre, Batley Frontier (Variety) Club and a thrice-yearly residency at the Ritz Ballroom, Brighouse for six years. Sales of the band’s CD’s were made in Europe, Scandinavia, Australia & Japan and I oversaw all aspects of the band management in terms of business & creative development, contract handling, bookings, rehearsal, concert logistics, production and promotion.
‘LISA GEORGE & THE PEDALOS’ (2006 - 2009)
Artist liaison, musical arranging, band direction, production and promotion of Lisa George’s solo musical project culminating in the release of the album, ‘The Devil Said Shake’ on Raucous Records and appearances at many UK Jive and Blues festivals. Website co-design, updates and management with a hand in all creative input, business development, contract handling, bookings and rehearsal & concert logistics.
COMPOSING & ARRANGING FOR EDUCATIONAL PROJECTS AND MUSICAL PERFORMANCE (2000 – present / part-time)
Preparing and publishing tuition guides, exercises and pieces for educational use in Drum Kit, Percussion and Piano tuition. Preparing and publishing musical arrangements used for theatre productions, corporate function acts and cruise ship showbands & productions.
• HIGHER EDUCATION / MUSIC DEGREE (Graduate Diploma in Jazz, Contemporary & Popular Music)
(September 1992 – July 1995) City Of Leeds College Of Music (C.L.C.M.)
Drum Kit for the Al Wood and C.L.C.M. big bands including performances alongside Phil Woods, Rob McConnell and John Warren. Principal Percussionist with the C.L.C.M. Symphony Orchestra and C.L.C.M. New Music Ensemble. World premiere performance of Gil Evans’ ‘Yesterdays’ arranged for the original ‘Charlie Parker with Strings’ sessions, previously unpublished (included BBC Television feature). Further ensembles included the Ronnie Bottomley Sextet, Peter Birkby Latin Ensemble, C.L.C.M. Percussion Ensemble and Johnny Harrison Radio Showband.
• SECONDARY EDUCATION
(September 1985 – July 1992) De Aston Secondary Comprehensive School / Market Rasen, Lincolnshire Music Support Service Youth Ensembles and early professional engagements
Drum Kit for ‘Jazz Vehicle’ (award winning youth big band) including regular public gigs and an appearance at the ‘Monsters of Rock’ festival, Castle Donnington. Principal Percussionist for the Lincolnshire Youth Orchestra including T.V. appearances and a tour of Holland. Percussion for the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra including developing a large repertoire of important orchestral works at venues including Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln Castle and the East of England Showground. Numerous solo recital performances during 6th form, appearances for several local amateur operatic societies and Rock / Jazz gigs in local venues.
COMMERCIAL RECORDINGS / ALBUMS / DVD (Selection)
• Joe Longthorne – ‘Joe Longthorne Live at the 02 Indigo’ DVD (Independent) 2011
• Joe Longthorne – ‘Joe Longthorne Sings to the Gods, live in Cyprus’ DVD (Clear View Entertainment) 2008
• Lisa George & the Pedalos – ‘The Devil Said Shake’ CD (Raucous Records) 2008
• Joe Longthorne – ‘You And Me’ CD (Clear View Entertainment) 2007
• Joe Longthorne – ‘You And Me Tour’ DVD (Clear View Entertainment) 2007
• Joe Longthorne – ‘Joe Longthorne Live at the London Palladium’ CD (Clear View Entertainment) 2006
• Joe Longthorne – ‘Joe Longthorne Live at the London Palladium’ DVD (Clear View Entertainment) 2006
• The Cat Pack – ‘It Aint What You Do’ CD (Raucous Records) 2006
• The Big Heat – ‘Boogiemen’ CD (Raucous Records) 2006
• Shawn Harvey – ‘Shawn Harvey’ CD (Independent) 2005
• Cathouse Creepers – ‘Fast Lane’ CD (Raucous Records) 2005
• The Cat Pack – ‘Everybody Wants To Be A Cat’ CD (Raucous Records) 2003
• Phil Haley & His Comments – ‘Everybody Needs To Rock’ CD (Preston Records, Australia) 2001
• Black Dyke Mills Brass Band – ‘The Music Of Peter Graham’ CD (Doyen Records) 1997
• Black Dyke Mills Brass Band – ‘Fanfares, Preludes & Themes’ CD (De Haske Records, Switzerland) 1997
• Leeds Chamber Orchestra – ‘Bartok Piano Concerto’s No.s 1 & 2’ CD (Independent) 1994
• Numerous independent recording and session work for various artists, education resources, internet, TV & Radio.
TV & RADIO (Selection)
‘The One Show’ – BBC Television, 2011. ‘The Billy Fury Story’ – BBC Radio Merseyside, 2010. ‘Joe Longthorne Sings to the Gods’ - live from the Kourian Amphetheatre, Cyprus, 2008. ‘Heartbeat’ – Yorkshire Television, 2007. ‘Music Live ‘97’ – live broadcasted concert from Bridgewater Hall, Manchester, featuring Black Dyke Mills Band, BBC Radio, 1997. ‘Festival of Brass’ – featuring Black Dyke Mills Band, BBC Radio, 1997. ‘The Richard Whiteley Show’ – featuring ‘Chocante’, Yorkshire Television, 1995. ‘Edit V – the recordings of Bartok’ – Yorkshire Television, 1994
PERCUSSION MANUFACTURERS ENDORSEMENTS
• Majestic Percussion / Holland (2008 - 2010)
• Premier Percussion / UK (2007 - 2010)
• City of Leeds College of Music Award for Drum Kit (C.L.C.M.), 1995
• George Deane Memorial Award for Tuned Percussion (C.L.C.M.), 1994
• George Deane Memorial Award for Timpani (C.L.C.M.), 1993
• ‘Best Percussionist’, Isle Of Man Brass Band Festival (Jayess Queensbury Brass Band), 1993
• De Aston School Excellence in Music Prize, 1990 & 1992
MEMBER OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES & SOCIETIES
• Musicians Union
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
I am friendly, relaxed and easy to work with whilst maintaining strong professional values and efficiency at all times. I pride myself on punctuality, appearance and adaptability with immediate attention to health & safety and child safeguarding paramount. I have a strong awareness of what is required of the modern day musician and can be relied upon to cope competently with reading, busking and playing to clicks. I can be a disciplined functional performer whilst also creative when the situation requires and I am always a reliable all round team player. My teaching methods are primarily dedicated to strong reading skills, synchronisation, technique, aural ability, communication and musical awareness of various styles and ensembles. Whilst I have developed a very successful method in teaching refined over many years, I have a very keen interest in pedagogy and still constantly look for new ideas and methods from very many sources for further self-improvement. My examination approach reflects and encourages similar attributes in candidates with also an aim to treat each candidate as an individual and to create a calm and confident environment at all times during examinations.
I can supply excellent references on any aspect of my professional and personal life.
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest drum lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, percussion lessons for all!
Taking jazz drumming lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||£25|