I believe that tutoring is first about personal connection. Any learning can only be achieved given a certain level of trust, which must be established in order to create a solid platform from which further learning can then flourish. Younger students are most open to absorbing information and should have the chance to take academic information and guidance from a range of people. This enhances the educational experiences and broadens the horizons of a student.
Having successfully passed grammar school entrance exams, three university degrees and auditions for multiple prestigious drama schools in the world I know that, with the right teachers, subjects can really come alive. I have also seen how more clinical approaches to tutoring further separate students from the learning process. Having been a student myself, I have seen the many positives and potential pitfalls one-to-one tuition can bring. These experiences galvanize me and help me in my own tutoring. I relish taking what I have learnt, and the exciting methods by which I have learnt it, and passing that on to other students.
Regardless of the level taught, it is impossible to make real progress unless the student first has engagement and interest in the subject. I see my task as tutor as a process of invigorating the material for those studying.
Please get in touch if you would like to arrange a tutoring session, as my availability is very flexible and also dependent on location.
I am an experienced teacher (10 years) & professional actor. I have tutored students from all walks of life, and am a very engaging and dynamic tutor, which translates extremely well online. He has experience preparing 11+ 13+ students for a list of top schools. I am known for being a ‘grade-changing’ tutor, consistently improving results for pupils, their first-choice schools, and on a number of occasions, scholarship offer. As a philosophy graduate, I see critical thinking as crucial to problem solving, and have had multiple successes teaching English, History, Politics, R.S. and Geography at High levels.
Alongside this I am also a professional actor with extensive work on stage, including the West End, Edinburgh and internationally, as well as TV and film and commercials. I have worked the past few years at the National Film and TV School as an actor and educator, helping students produce short films.
- When are you available?
My timetable is quite flexible. I am happy to work evenings and weekends but weekdays are preferable.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
The majority of my students are between the ages of 9-18, but I also teach older students who are working towards degrees and teaching qualifications.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
GCSE, A/S-level, A-level, 11+ and 13+ school entrance exams (verbal/non-verbal reasoning also) and SATs
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I use Zoom, Skype and Google Hangouts for online sessions, and use interactive whiteboards to explain concepts & tehcniques visually, and Google docs to share files.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
December 2007 – Present
• Member of many prestigious agencies, with 10+ years experience and 400+ hours tutoring.
• Have also taught in schools as a supply teacher and teaching assistant.
• My specialist subjects Common Entrance, English Language and Literature, Maths, Science, R.S., Philosophy, History, Geography, Theatre, Exam and Essay Technique, and more.
• I have tutored students from all abilities and backgrounds, from ages 4 to 56; including adults, undergrads, GCSE’s and A-Levels, as well as Common Entrance, younger pupils, and SEN learners.
• Experienced with entrance to top schools including (amongst others) Eton (King's Scholarship), Westminster, Tonbridge, King’s, Latymer, Highgate, Alleyns, Dulwich, City, and many more
• Have taught residentially in England, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow, Dubai, Zurich, Gstaad, St. Tropez and Delhi.
• Consistently high admission rates into schools; consistently high grades in exams; multiple scholarship placements.
• Have taught via Skype, Zoom, iTutorGroup etc online.
• References and results available upon request.
May 2019 – Present
Drama Teacher at Elizabeth Samuels Drama School, London
• Running drama classes for children ranging in ages up to 11
• Playing games, boosting confidence and teaching techniques
May 2019 – Present
Creative Workshop Facilitator at NCS, The Challenge
• Run weekly two-day workshops in digital storytelling, creative media and social enterprise and start-up skills to large groups of young people
• Adapting and making a set curriculum accessible and engaging for teaching to large and diverse audiences
• Accompanying teams of young people on community group visits
Spotlight View Pin: 30(concealed information)
Equity Number: B(concealed information)
Agent: Stanton Davidson Assosciates
Training: Drama Centre London; Vakthangov Institue Moscow
August 2008 – Present
• Through independent ambition and drive, I have promoted myself and developed excellent professional relationships that have led to repeat work with directors, producers, companies and theatres.
• Extensive work on stage, including with John Cleese and Nicky Henson, and recently in the Highly acclaimed “One Jewish Boy”, as well as TV and film and commercials
• Have worked the past few years at the National Film and TV School as an actor and educator, helping students produce short films
• Performed in four Edinburgh Fringe Festivals, operating in both a production and promotion role, as well as that of an actor.
• Performed in many international productions including in Moscow, Dublin, New York, Rome.
• Received multiple awards, including the 2010 NSDF Top Commendation for Acting, and the 2012 NSDF Emerging Artist Award
• Founded my own theatre company, Ninth Life Theatre Company, and produced a play written by myself, The Questionnaire.
• Planned, oversaw and participated in the running of a huge fundraising campaign, raising £5000 in 7 months.
• Awarded a Full Scholarship for excellent promise to the prestigious Drama Centre London for a place on the MA Acting Degree.
To Whom It May Concern:
I am very pleased to write this letter of recommendation for Robert Jones. Robert tutored our two eldest sons, now 11 and 9 years old in the year leading up to their 10+ entrance exams and interviews. Both of our sons were offered places to their preferred secondary school at the first attempt and I strongly recommend Robert as a tutor who can get the best out of children and give them the tools to successfully negotiate entrance exams.
Robert has great qualities that are needed to tutor children - clearly very patient, gives constructive feedback and homework and inspires confidence in the kids (and parents!) that they can succeed When we decided to enter our children for 10+ entrance exams, it was by no means certain they would pass, however Robert quickly identified the children’s academic strengths but, more importantly, their weak spots and is able to successfully address any issues - a skill I definitely would look for in a tutor. He was always on-time, well prepared for the tutoring session and very personable which meant the kids were always keen and up for each lesson.
I would thoroughly recommend Robert as a tutor. You may reach me via E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 07834 589 674. I will be happy to provide additional information or answer any questions, if needed.
acting lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest improvisational theatre lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, drama school entrance lessons for all!
Taking lamda exams preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|