Face-to-face in Central London & online lessons all over the world
I will make you equip ‘inter-cultural communication skills’. My passion for language teaching is to contribute to the society where people need more global minded attitudes and mutual understanding.
I will help you understand Japanese culture from the native perspective. By absorbing the Japanese mind set, you will begin to perceive, process, and express yourself in an authentic Japanese way. In the lessons (including online lessons), we will explore the speech and body language of native Japanese speakers - this will increase your awareness of the feelings that lie behind Japanese expressions.
By following this approach, you will use a more appropriate grammatical structure and word usage, allowing you to speak Japanese more naturally.
I am a professional full-time Japanese teacher teaching more than a thousand students over 13 years to UK university students and diplomats experienced at SOAS, King`s College London, University of Sheffield and foreign and Commonwealth Office. In addition, I have a cooperate training contract at SONY, in the past, with Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Deloitte, Ashurst and British Museum.
I have completed Leading Adult Learning - Facilitator Development Sessions at autumn term 2017 at University College London (UCL). I have completed an MBA in Further Education Management at King’s College London, an MA in Applied Japanese Linguistics at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and a Postgraduate Diploma in Japanese Teaching at the Institute of International Education in London.
You can choose minimum 30 minute lesson from £25.
*Full time student will have 10% off concession.
*Please note that the fee for face-to-face and online lessons are the same.
For corporate training for specific needs, I will design tailor-made course. Corporate training can also be conducted on-site (additional expenses may incur). In addition, online lessons are available.
Cancellation & rescheduling policy: If the student cancels a lesson less than 24 hours in advance, the student must pay for the full amount of the lesson fee. If the student would like to cancel and reschedule a lesson they can do this at the discretion of the teacher. If this is agreed by the teacher and the request is received from the student between 6 days and 24 hours before the lesson, a fee of £25 will be payable.
- Qualified, experienced and enthusiastic native Japanese language teacher for adult learners
- Student-centred approach with full professional support - identified student interests, dealt with enquiries smoothly, and initiated a successful consultant service to learners.
- Exceptional communication skills, time-management and teamwork - created harmonious and productive work and study environments for colleagues and students
Japanese language teacher – Arai Academy of Japanese Studies (July 2014-present)
• To design and teach tailored Japanese language courses for private lessons and small group lessons.
Japanese Language teacher – SONY Computer Entertainment Europe (Oct 2015-Present)
• To design and provide highly attractive business Japanese course for the vice-president by identifying his needs and learning styles.
Teaching Fellow in Japanese Language - Department of Japan and Korea, School of Oriental and African Studies (Jan 2011 - Jul 2011 & Sep 2014-2018)
• Delivered a course and set exams for the students of BA in Japanese especially in speaking skills.
• Organised visitor sessions every term by inviting native Japanese speakers for the practice of speaking.
Japanese Language Trainer - The Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Language Services Direct
(Jan 2014 - 2016)
• As a course leader, I designed and provided highly effective courses for UK Diplomats as a preparation of their work in Japan.
• Delivered encouraging feedback and a consulting service in any enquiries at any time.
Lecturer in Japanese - Modern Language Centre (MLC), King’s College London (KCL) (Oct 2009 - 2017)
• Designed and provided highly attractive courses by identifying learners’ interests and learning styles to both business people and university students in all accredited modules, evening and tailor-made courses.
• Delivered effective and encouraging feedback and a consulting service in any enquiries at any time.
Japanese Language Teacher – Dentsu Aegis Network (Sep 2013 – Jun 2014)
• Taught Japanese for the top managers including the president for the purpose of their business trips to Japan.
Language Learning Advisor - Learning Resource Centre, MLC, KCL (Sep 2011 – Jun 2013)
• Initiated one-to-one advice service for learning support as well as staff training for my colleagues in starting this service, which resulted in much success with compliments given by both students and teachers.
• Initiated student feedback system and newsletter for service improvement.
University Teacher in Japanese Language - School of East Asian Studies, University of Sheffield
• Provided Japanese tuition for both Japanese and other degree students. (Sep 2006 - Aug 2009)
• Developed student inter-cultural competence as a preparation for their year abroad.
MBA in Further Education Management - King’s College London (merit) (2011 - 2012)
Modules: Business Management in Further & Vocational Education /Conceptions of Vocational Education
Dissertation topic: How can language centres in UK universities realise their full potential?
• I gained knowledge of prospective approaches in education business targeting adults in the 21st century, and was equipped with a strong insight into excellent education management and promoting educational courses.
MA in Applied Japanese Linguistics - School of Oriental and African Studies (2005 - 2006)
Postgraduate Diploma in Japanese Teaching - Institute of International Education in London (2003 - 2004)
BA in English Literature - J.F. Oberlin Junior College, Tokyo, Japan (1993 - 1995)
• My academy is officially selected as 'the best Japanese language tutors online' by VidaLingua - a language expert search engine.
• My dynamic, flexible and student-centred approach and constant striving for teaching development enabled me to receive consistent high student satisfaction in every element of Japanese language learning.
• Adaptability in roles and providing pastoral support to learners with an approachable and professional attitude
• Effective oral and written communication skills with students and colleagues
• Efficient administrative management in any kind of submission deadlines
• Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
• Online lessons via skype with my electric materials such as PowerPoints
• Virtual Learning Environment for sharing materials with staff and students
Workshop in speaking for the learners at King’s College London (May 2015)
Staff training in one-to-one support at King’s College London (Feb & Dec 2012)
Staff training in language teaching ‘through drama activities’ at King’s College London (Nov 2010 - Feb 2011)
Newsletter Editor for the British Association of Teachers of Japanese (Dec 2008 - Nov 2009)
Organisational assistant at the SOAS International Conference, University of London (June 2006)
Drama Activity course in Language Teaching at SOAS (Jun 2010)
Tango and salsa dances (Sep 2006 - Present)
World trip from Asia to Europe (Feb - Aug 2003)
References: Available on request.
Arai-san (Mineko) is an excellent Japanese tutor, very patient and combines the teaching of the Japanese language alongside the culture and traditions of Japan.
I thoroughly enjoy her lessons which are delivered via different mediums to suit my needs / diary which is greatly appreciated.
Arai-san comes highly recommended for all those who wish to study Japanese, no matter how experienced.
Graham: Finance Director
I have been studying business Japanese with Arai sensei since 2017. She is a fantastic and dedicated teacher who will tailor your lessons to meet your needs and goals. I always enjoy our lessons and have made great progress since I started. If you live in London, you can also join the monthly conversation group to meet Japanese people and practice your Japanese. I couldn't recommend her enough.
Arai Sensei has been my private tutor for four years and has helped to explain many useful things about the language. She has also helped me to learn about Japanese culture and society. I enjoy her lessons and her enthusiasm. Duncan Bartlett, Japan Story.
japanese lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - japanese lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - japanese lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - japanese lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£55||Not available||£45|
|5 hours||£250||Not available||£225|
|10 hours||£500||Not available||£450|