I can give lessons to GCSE English Literature / Language students and A-Level English Literature students. Whether the student is pushing for top grades or solidifying a pass, lessons are tailored to the individual. We can focus on exam technique through past papers, analyse extracts of texts together or practice learning material in other ways that suit the student such as practising learning quotes or simply discussing the content together. My methodology centres on patience and understanding the unique learning style of the student in order to create a friendly but ambitious atmosphere that enables the student to achieve their potential.
I am a first-year university student with an A* in A-Level and GCSE English Literature and an A* in GCSE English Language. I have experience in private tutoring for public speaking, which has led to the success of my students at UK wide competitions. I am eager to help with any aspect or level of GCSE/A-Level English, but particularly poetry or Shakespeare. Shakespeare texts I have covered before include those listed below, but I am more than willing to tutor new texts.
- The Merchant of Venice
- The Tempest
- King Lear
BSc International Relations and History, London School of Economics 2019 – Present
• EC100: Economics – predicted 1st
• HY116: International Politics since 1914 – predicted 2.1
• IR100: Theories and Concepts in International Relations – predicted 2.1
• IR101: Contemporary Issues in International Relations – predicted 2.1
A-Levels & GCSEs, Portadown College 2015 – 2019
• A*AB in English Literature, Politics and History (with an A in AS Level Business Studies)
• English Literature – 100% in all A2 modules and 96% overall.
• 10 GCSEs: 6A*, 3A and B
• A*’s in English Literature and Language with 100% in Shakespeare and poetry.
DISTINCTIONS, AWARDS AND EXPERIENCE:
Head Girl, Portadown College 2018 – 2019
• As Editor-in-Chief of the Yearbook and Co-ordinator of the Formal, I managed a £12,000 budget, liaising with staff and businesses. These roles also included organising photo shoots, fundraisers and similar events.
• I spoke at important services to over 800 people and managed a team of 40 Prefects.
• I provided support and mentoring throughout the year, most crucially during a bereavement in the community.
US Congressional Visit, Stormont 2019
• One of two selected to speak at the Commemoration of the Good Friday Agreement to a delegation which included the US Speaker of the House, the Ambassador to the UK, the Assembly Speaker and First Ministers.
• Following this, I was invited to attend an informal discussion at the US Consulate with the US State Department about post-Brexit Northern Ireland.
Best UK Chairperson, Business and Professional Women’s Public Speaking Competition 2016 - 2019
• 2018-19: Runner Up Team, Best Chair.
• 2017-18: Regional Runner Up as Speaker
• 2016-17: Regional and National Runner Up as Speaker
• Tutored 5 students in public speaking and speech writing for GCSE English Language with all boosting their grades from C’s to A’s.
Founder and Chair of Debating Society, Portadown College 2017 - 2019
• Within a month, we were filling a lecture theatre of 100 seats. This gave me an excellent experience of leadership and organisation. Furthermore, in my final year, I mentored and trained the new leaders to take over.
• I gained marketing and advertising experience in tandem with the ability to research, plan, participate in and lead a debate.
Perfect! Joanna is an excellent tutor and I highly recommend her. Each lesson was throughly prepared. She is very articulate and engaging. Her passion made every lesson special.
Perfect! I first reached out to Joanna after disappointing exam results had really dented my daughters confidence.
Joanna's passion for teaching is contagious as is her energy.
I am glad to say that because of her, my daughter has developed an immense interest in English and in a short period of time has shown excellent progress.
Joanna excelled at delivering well-structured, active and engaging sessions. She is a very friendly and personable tutor who is clearly passionate and skilled in supporting students to their full potential.
I would strongly recommend Joanna to anyone who wants help in English. A perfect tutor in every sense of the word.
Joanna really saved both my English Literature and Language grade, I wouldn’t have gotten the qualification without her. I’d been to other tutors but they just didn’t take the same amount of time or interest in me, and lead to me just wasting my own money.
Joanna is a very skilled tutor and has helped me study a range of literature; from medieval poetry and Shakespeare to modern prose. She works well with students of all levels and capabilities. Would strongly recommend Joanna as a tutor!
english literature lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest poetry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, modern literature lessons for all!
Taking comparative literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|