-Dynamic, creative and enthusiastic tutor who strives to provide the best support to his/her student.
-Engaging and interactive tutorials.
-Attractive lessons tailored to each student’s needs and abilities, taking their personal interests into account to ensure maximum participation and enjoyment of the content material.
-Flexible methodology and implementation of differentiated instruction for students with learning difficulties or disabilities.
-Lesson plan e-mailed to the student in advance and systematically e-mailed back after the lesson with notes, written record, corrections, important vocabulary and grammar points.
-Use of a broad range of authentic audio, video and text material in the target language selected with care in order to stimulate oral participation, develop critical thinking and make the most efficient use of the student’s thoughts.
-Professional evaluation and monitoring of the student.
-Positive and constructive feedback.
-A serene and constructive tuition space that facilitates student’s communication and self-confidence and in which all mistakes are valued as an essential source of progression and used as platforms to learn and build understanding.
I am a qualified teacher secondary teacher with four years of experience teaching English as a first foreign language in France (2013-2017) and two years of experience teaching both EFL and French in the UK and abroad (2017-2019). Now a permanent UK resident, I provide in-person and online language tuition.
I hold a Master's in English Literature, a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy and taught French for one year at the University of Sheffield as a Lectrice (2011-2012). I also hold a qualification in translation (English-to-French) and editing and have a passion for literature, art, poetry and music which I try, as much as I can, to incorporate in my teaching.
-Lessons need to be cancelled at least 48 hours before the session.
-If a lesson is cancelled on the day of the lesson, a cancellation fee which amounts to half the price of the lesson (£12,50) needs to be paid to the tutor in compensation for the gap left in the schedule and the time spent on lesson planning.
VIOLETTE HOLT // CURRICULUM VITAE
Date of birth: 18/10/1985
Address in France: 59 Tennyson Road S6 2WD Sheffield
Telephone: 07(concealed information)
Email: (concealed information)
Creative, ambitious, dynamic French native and hardworking qualified EFL teacher with great communication and writing skills, looking to work as an EFL/French Tutor in the UK.
Professional experience as a Teacher
Since July 2018 (part time): Permanent move to Sheffield, UK. Working as a freelance EFL/ French Private Tutor in the Sheffield area.
From 1 October 2017 to 28 June 2018 (part time): worked as a freelance English and French private tutor within the agglomeration community of Aix-en-Provence (France).
From 1 October to 30 September 2017 gave French private tutorials in Yorkshire, England (part-time) at secondary (sixth form) and master’s level.
September 2015–August 2017: ESL teacher at Collège Alphonse Daudet (full time)
Collège Alphonse Daudet is a secondary school for 11-15 students and is part of a Reinforced Educational Priority Area (Rep +). The school is located in Istres, South East of France. I mainly taught English at Key stage 3 (year 7, 8, 9).
• Year 2016-2017: appointed form tutor to a year-9 class and subject teacher to three year-8 classes (including an SEN class), one year-7 class and two year-9 classes.
• Year 205-2015: subject teacher to two year-7 classes, one year-8 class, two year-9 classes and a SEN year-10 class.
School year 2014 -2015: Trainee ESL teacher at Lycée Général et Technologique de l’Empéri (full time)
Lycée de l’Empéri is a sixth form school located in Salon de Provence.
I taught English to four year-11 classes and two year-12 classes.
October 2013 to March 2014: ESL Supply teacher at Cours Bastide (full time)
Cours Bastide is a private Catholic school located in the centre of Marseilles comprising primary, secondary and sixth form education facilities. I taught English as well as supplementary English to students at key stage 3 (year 7 & year 9), key stage 4 (year 10) and sixth form (year 12 and 13).
June 2013 to June 2014: On-and-off private tutorials in English and French.
Private tutorials given through the tutoring agency Complétude.
Part-time / Subjects taught: English - French - Philosophy
September 2011 to June 2012: Lectrice in the French department of Modern Languages at the University of Sheffield, UK (full time)
Taught French as a Lectrice to level 1, level 2 and level 3 students.
Tasks undertaken as an English Teacher
• Creation and planning of lessons and sequences in accordance with the national curriculum for modern languages.
• Preparation and marking of assessments in coordination with the national curriculum.
• Training students in the four main language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
• Creation of original written and audio material used for practical works in class.
• Applying differentiated instruction to students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
• Ensuring regular communication with parents and with the educational team.
• Marking of final English oral examinations for A levels.
Tasks undertaken as a Lectrice
• Preparing lessons and activities on various themes under the supervision of the Chief Lectrice.
• Training the students to express themselves on a variety of subjects related to the French-speaking world.
• Marking the students’ progression at the end of each semester.
• Recording and marking the students’ oral presentations.
• Involvement in extra-curricular activities (cultural outings with students, newsletters etc.)
Additional experience : Translation and Writing
Professional translation assignment
• 26 March 2018 - 28 May 2018: distance translation internship at Discovery Publisher (New York), a multimedia publisher that specialises in the editing and publishing of works promoting physical and emotional well-being through spiritual growth. During my internship I was assigned the translation from English to French of the introduction, preface and first five chapters of a book entitled Autobiography of Swami Sivananda (1995)
Personal translation project
• 2017-present: have been working on the translation of the collection of poetry Moortown Diary by Ted Hughes
• 2016-2017: Produced a French translation of Crow by Ted Hughes.
-Translation of the poem “Daddy” by Sylvia Plath.
-Translation of the poem “Red” by Ted Hughes.
Professional writing: produced the introductory texts for two Art exhibitions held at the DLA Pipers headquarters in Sheffield under the supervision of Dr Amanda Crawley Jackson (October 2011 and March 2012).
• 2010-2011: Dissertation on Human, All too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche.
• 2009-2011: “Le corps révélé dans la littérature de D.H.Lawrence : de Women in Love a Lady Chatterley’s Lover” (Master’s dissertation written in French -year 2)
• 2008-2009: “Orality, the real and the aura in James Agee’s Let Us Now Praise Famous Men” (Master’s dissertation written in English- year 1)
• 2017-Present: long poem dedicated to the life and art of Elliott Smith (work in progress)
Qualifications and Education
• 25 July 2018: certificate of Proficiency in English (C2 level)
• 30 May 2018: editing, analysis and translation certificate obtained at Discovery Publisher after successful completion of internship taken from 24 March to 28 May 2018.
• 24 October 2017: certificate of achievement for Esssential Knowledge at Key Stage Teaching Level 2 awarded by Developing Your Potential (UK).
• February 2017 – June 2017: ICT internship (France)
• 7 March 2017: awarded UK Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
• July 2015: granting of tenure as an English teacher in France.
• July 2014: awarded the English CAPES (French qualification for teaching English as a second language at the secondary level to 11-18 students).
• 2013 – 2014: preparation of the English CAPES (PGCE equivalent in France)
• 2010-2011: Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy at Aix-Marseille University (France)
• 2009-2010: Year 2 Master’s in English literature at Aix-Marseille University (obtained with distinction).
• 2008-2009: Year 1 Master’s in English literature: year 1 (obtained with second class honours).
• 2007-2008: Bachelor’s Degree in English at Aix-Marseille University (obtained with second class honours).
• 2005-2008: undergraduate in English at Aix-Marseille University.
• 2003: Baccalaureate-Literature (A levels equivalent).
• French: Native speaker
• English: C2 (Proficient speaker)
• Italian: A2
Perfect! What a wonderful teacher! She was vivacious, interesting and explained everything in detail. Violette also started the lesson by introducing yourself with a fantastically put-together PowerPoint and this was the basis for our lesson. Incredible amount of work went into that! I’m really looking forward to having her as my tutor as I know I will make lots and lots of progress under her tutelage. I would absolutely recommend her! She even sent me all the vocabulary from the lesson afterwards.
Hello Sue, thank you so much for this wonderful review left after our first only lesson. I will do my best to keep you excited and satisfied with the next sessions. Many students express their satisfaction orally or by email but few take the time to leave a review on this platform. It helps me a lot and ins greatly appreciated, so Many thanks again for that :) :) I'm looking forward to our next lesson on Friday :)
Perfect! I have been learning French with Violette for the past 11 months. She is very reliable, clear to understand and always provides good lesson materials, preparation and follow-up. She is receptive to adapting material to my requirements and subjects that interest me. C’est fantastique!
Perfect! Violette is an excellent tutor. Shes quite experienced and knowledgeable. Her lessons were very effective and tailored to my needs. I highly recommend her, as shes exceptional and hard working person!
Totally enjoyed her lessons!
Thank you very much Violette.
Bana has been a wonderful student to work with. Hard-working, focused and always very discerning and perceptive in her comments and questions despite the extensive length of the learning sessions and the amount of information that needed to be covered and processed over a very short period of time, she has been simply heroic! I will not forget her kindness and the wonderful exchanges that we've had during these strenuous sessions:)
I have a long time looked an english teacher like this and now I can say that it’s the best ! I have been learning english language with Violette for two years and it’s all the time perfect with joviality, punctuallity, advices. It’s a real pleasure and progress are there !
Hello, my name is Alix. It’s been two years since Violette is my teacher.
Violette is really encouraging, kind and above all, patient with hers students. Having class with her is really pleasant and enriching. Violette knows teaching without hurting hers students in any ways. On the contrary, she is always there to support them. She makes you stretch to your limits and really motivates you to give your best. Violette is the more conscientious person I know. She is hardworking and really supportive.
If you want to improve your level of english/french (she is teaching both), Violette is the teacher you need! Go for it!
Violette is an excellent tutor. Shes quite experienced and knowledgeable. Her lessons were very effective and tailored to my needs. I highly recommend her, as shes exceptional and hard working person!
Totally enjoyed her lessons!
Thank you Violette.
Mrs Violette Holt is a teacher I would recommend without a doubt for her involvement with her pupils, her professionalism and her diligence. She is trustworthy and truly effective in terms of results. Thanks to her, I have observed a real change in my child’s school life.
Violette is an excellent tutor, very professional, very patience and friendly, she is great at explaining everything
She is the best English teacher I have ever had
I enjoyed very much her lessons.
I recommend Violet because she is a super intersting theacher!! she gave me desire to progress! excellent!
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension -french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||£105||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||£210||£250|