I am Giulia, an Italian native speaker now living in Sheffield, where I have recently achieved my Master's Degree in Screen Translation with a distinction.
I am offering Italian language lessons in the Sheffield area to people of all levels - beginners, intermediate and advanced students are all welcome! As an Italian native speaker, I can help you with Italian grammar, Italian conversation, Italian pronunciation, or whichever aspect of the Italian language might be of interest to you. I would also be happy to help you learn more about my beautiful country by delivering lessons which focus less on the language and more on Italy's fascinating culture - including Italian history, Italian politics, and Italian cinema!
I also offer Italian cooking lessons, where you will be able to learn some of the basic recipes of our cuisine, including pasta dishes and risotto.
Lessons can be done both at your home and at mine - I am extremely flexible.
I have a 6 years work experience in private tutoring. When I was still living in Italy, I was an english private tutor and I have tutored middle-school and high-school students within an age range of 11-18, all with different learning requirements. More specifically, I have dealt with children who needed homework support, helping them consolidate their grammar skills; and I have also tutored proficient students who were willing to enhance their linguistic and conversational skills to a more advanced level. By working with students with learning difficulties I have learnt how to be patient, as I often had to repeat the same rule several times to students who had difficulties in concentrating. Moreover, I have developed the capacity to be professional and friendly at the same time, a quality that was extremely appreciated by both students and their parents.
Beside private tutoring, I have also held a 40 hours German course at the University of the Third Age in Genova, Italy, where I have assessed written and oral assignments of elderly students. The class was composed of approximately 20 students whose age ranged between 50-80. Due to the diversity of the classroom environment, I had to learn the ability of keeping my students motivated in different ways; for example, I would ask the most proficient students to help me explain grammar rules to the rest of the students, thus making them feel more involved.
Education and Qualifications
University of Sheffield, MA Screen Translation, 2015 – 2016 (Distinction)
• The MA covered the theory and practice of translation for audiovisual media such as films and TV series, providing the technical knowledge and skills required to work in this specialised area
• Main subjects: Italian/English translation, Theory and Practice of Subtitling, International Project Management
• IT skills gained: proficient use of subtitling software (WinCaps), good use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Prezi
• Completion of a subtitling project (250 subtitles) from English into Italian
• 13,000 words dissertation “An Investigation into Domestication as an Adaptive Strategy” demonstrates my excellent writing and research skills, together with my ability to work independently
Università degli Studi di Genova (Italy,) BA in Theories and Techniques of Interlingual Mediation (110/110 cum laude,) 2011-2014
• Graduated with honours
• Main subjects: Italian/English translation and interpreting, Italian/German translation and interpreting, Italian, English and German linguistics
• As a Student Representative in the School Council for two years, I have worked alongside professors to revise and edit important Faculty documents, actively taking part in meetings and thus gaining significant verbal communication and teamwork skills
Liceo Scientifico Gian Domenico Cassini, Genova (Italy,) 2006-2011
• Secondary school diploma with a concentration on scientific studies, achieved with a final grade of 90/100
Freelance translator – Sofia dalla Notte (Cultural Association), Genova, Italy, March 2013 - Present
I have collaborated with cultural association Sofia dalla Notte, based in Genova, for three years. During this time, I have developed the ability of working under considerable time-pressure, a crucial skill for translators.
• Translation of articles: translating articles from Italian into English, and from English into Italian. The articles mainly covered subjects related to the arts, cinema, theatre and cultural events
• Proofreading articles: as a part of my job, I have to proofread and edit articles written by others
English Private Tutor – Self-employed, Genova, Italy, November 2011-September 2015
I have taught private English lessons to middle and high school students. Working with students with learning difficulties I had to develop different methods specifically designed for different requirements. My experience in this job displays my penchant for teaching and communicating with students of different ages, as well as my organisational skills.
• Helping students consolidate their grammar and conversational skills
• Assisting students in doing their homework
• Improving students’ knowledge in British literature
• Enhancing to advanced level the linguistic skills of the more proficient students
German tutor – Università della Terza Età (Uni. T.E.), Genova, Italy, December 2014- May 2015
During my BA I have been selected among other brilliant students to teach a forty hours German course (beginner level) to students of the University of the Third Age. The age range of students was between 50-80 years old.
• Introducing the basic rules of German grammar
• Providing the basis of conversational German
• Assessing written work and oral presentations
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|