- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I am currently teaching pupils of various ages electric and acoustic guitar from scratch, covering all aspects of musical theory, technical development, sight reading, session styles and live performance (from complete beginners to advanced).
- My knowledge of music is exceptional, both in the theoretical & technical aspects of guitar playing with a firm grasp of how music has developed and progressed since the dawn of popular/contemporary music.
- I teach a wide range of styles ranging from genres dating back to the 1950's, including blues, rock 'n' roll, rock, pop, alternative, punk, post-punk, jazz, grunge, heavy metal & classical.
Please feel free to have a look at my Youtube channel - (concealed information)
I'm also on Facebook:
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BA (hons) Popular music (2:1)
- Higher Diploma in contemporary music performance
- Diploma in Contemporary music performance
- Music Technology (A/S Level)
- Music (GCSE)
- How much do you charge?
£14 (30 MINS)
£25 (60 MINS)
- Where do you teach?
I usually teach at my home in Finchampstead - which is where all my equipment is all set up / teaching materials are all easily at hand.
- When are you available?
- Monday to Friday (Days and evenings depending on availability)
- Available all year round ( aside from Christmas/New Year periods/ Bank holidays etc)
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
All age ranges + all difficulty levels
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have been taught by some of the most renowned session musicians and professional guitarists in the world, names include:
- Pete Friesen (Alice Cooper Band & the Almighty)
- Dave Kilminster ('Guitarist' magazine's 1991 guitarist of the year, collaborated with Roger Waters & Keith Emerson)
- Guthrie Govan ('Guitarist' magazine's 1993 guitarist of the year, Progressive Rock band Asia)
- Jamie Humphries (Australian Pink Floyd touring artist)
• I participated in a production of 'Return of the Forbidden Planet', a rock 'n' roll musical in Liverpool's Academy 3 theatre.
• Whist at the Academy of Contemporary Music I took the opportunity to play with members of Skunk Anansie.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes I have a valid CRB disclosure certificate.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
I am a associate member of the Registry of Guitar Tutors ( (concealed information) ) - meaning that I can enter students for Electric & Acoustic guitar examinations fully accredited by London College of Music & Thames Valley University
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Please see examples of testimonials from current students:
â€œJames is friendly and puts you at ease, he teaches at a pace to suit you and is patientâ€.
- James Gatfield
â€œJames has a friendly yet professional approach to teaching. I would highly recommend himâ€.
- Katie Wittig
â€œAn advanced guitar player who has helped me to begin to understand both the basic and technical requirements when learning to play.â€
- Matt Barclay
"Guitar lessons with James are good because not only do I learn good techniques and cool songs, but I also have fun too."
- David Maloy
• BA (Hons) Popular Music (2:1)
jazz improvisation lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£25||£25||Not available|