Being an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher I believe I bring this passion for music into all the lessons I teach and always encourage students to strive for their best, gaining confidence in their abilities and enjoying the process and results they accomplish.
I aim to motivate students by tailoring the teaching method to suit the individuals' needs and am quick to assess a students' strengths and also areas that need more focus, tackling these in order to help them reach their full potential.
Performing is a vital part of the learning and development process and I always endeavour to provide the students with opportunities to showcase and expand their musical journeys; both through exams, ensemble and orchestra settings.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Oboe and Cor Anglais
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I graduated with PGDip distinction from the Royal College of Music in 2010. Before this I studied at the Royal Academy of Music where I received a BMus degree.
Whilst there I also obtained an LRAM teaching qualification and worked with children in groups for workshops.
- How much do you charge?
£20 - 30mins
- Where do you teach?
I am based in North London but am happy to travel to other parts of London for private lessons. I am available for online lessons through Zoom or another platform if preferable.
- When are you available?
Available during the week or weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Any ages/levels welcome.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I often enter students for exams (Trinity Guildhall And ABRSM) and help prepare for performances or concerts as they arise.
- What kind of experience do you have?
I received the LRAM teaching Diploma during my undergraduate degree at the Royal Academy of Music and have since developed my teaching skills and strategies through working with a ride range of students from contrasting backgrounds, abilities and ages.
In my current position working with Croydon Music Service I teach individuals, small groups and ensembles as well as coaching the Croydon Youth Orchestra Woodwind section, rehearsing and preparing them towards performances including most recently at Fairfield Halls.
Previous to this I have also been involved in side-by-side schemes through Southbank Sinfonia where we tutored students in orchestral playing and promoting their musical awareness in an ensemble setting.
Having held the 2nd Oboe position in the Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, (2016-2018) and also worked as a freelancer extensively throughout the UK and abroad for almost ten years I believe I have the experience to inspire students and deliver a high level of competence on the oboe.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Croydon Music & Arts – individual and group tuition, ensemble coaching (2018-2020)
- Musico South – private instrumental tuition in South London (2015-6)
- Camden Music Service – individual tuition at New End School and Hampstead School, ensemble coaching (2010-16)
- Private instrumental lessons in self-employed capacity (2005-2020)
PROFESSIONAL ORCHESTRAL WORK
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Extra work – 2nd Oboe) 2020 – present
- Philharmonia Orchestra (Trial – 2nd Oboe) 2019
- Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra (2nd Oboe) Sept 2016 – July 2018
- Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (Extra work – 2nd Oboe/Cor Anglais) 2018 – present
- BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra (Trial 2016 - 2nd Oboe/Principal & extra work – present)
- City of London Sinfonia (Trial - 2nd Oboe/Cor Anglais) 2016
- BBC Philharmonic Orchestra (Trial 2015 – 2nd Oboe & extra work – present)
- English National Ballet (Trial 2014 – 2nd Oboe/Cor Anglais & extra work – present)
- Welsh National Opera Orchestra (Extra work – 2nd Oboe/Cor Anglais) 2013 - present
- BBC National Orchestra of Wales (Extra work – Principal, 2nd Oboe & Cor Anglais) 2013 - present
Vanessa was my first oboe teacher and she taught me for 7 years - from a complete beginner to a relatively experienced amateur. She is a very patient teacher with a clear vision of how her students can progress. She was also great at choosing music that is fun to play whilst helping her students improve. I would recommend her highly.
Vanessa is a fantastic tutor, I would highly recommend her services. She provided weekly oboe lessons, always making a constant effort to help me improve.
She is friendly, supportive and motivational.
She was always organised and made an effort to travel to our lessons.
Vanessa is personable, knowledgeable and a great teacher. She is highly skilled and have great experience in music.
I highly recommend her to anyone looking for an oboe teacher.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|