Brushing up on your Brontës? Scrutinising some Scott? Sometimes you need a little extra help...
I have a lively tutoring style that is sure to engage and enhance any student's interest in the subject. My intellectual practice is rigorous - as well as improving understanding and knowledge of the set texts, I equip students with broad analytical skills to enable long-term engagement with literature. I strongly encourage debate and independent thought, so that my students learn to communicate their ideas excellently in both written and verbal discussion.
I tutor at National, Higher, or undergraduate degree level:
- At school level, I can cover any set texts and develop further skills as required. I have lots of tactics for getting reluctant children/teenagers reading, and likewise can help an enthusiastic student thrive.
- At degree level, I specialise in the 18th-21st centuries, and the novel. I can enhance your understanding of texts and historical/theoretical contexts, or develop your essay-writing skills and practice speaking up in class.
- I am also happy to tutor adults looking to improve their literacy/reading skills more informally. I focus on English and/or Scottish literature, and can introduce relevant comparative literature (particularly Spanish and French) if required.
My lessons are tailored for individual students, depending on level and ability. In the first session, we explore the student's learning style (auditory, visual, kinesthetic) by a quiz and short activities, before getting stuck straight into the first set text. I agree the learning plan with each student, which sometimes includes extra critical reading. My style is flexible - whether your child needs a boost to get through the exams, or you just want to learn something new in the evenings, I will design my lessons to suit you.
I believe that reading for pleasure is absolutely key to developing intellectual abilities and personal fulfilment, and that everyone can find their own way to enjoy reading and learning.
I have a masters degree in English Literature, and I am currently studying towards a masters in Book History & Material Culture. I plan to start my PhD in 2020.
I have broad experience in both one-to-one tutoring and training groups. I spent two years delivering training at Waterstones (London area), tutoring booksellers in some of the biggest shops to share their love of literature.
Rates may be renegotiated if you have any special requirements, such as particularly unsociable hours or if I need to source extensive extra critical reading - please ask.
- MSc Book History & Material Culture (currently studying) - Edinburgh University 2018-present
- MA with Distinction in Twentieth-Century Literature - Durham University - 2012-2013
- First Class BA in English Literature - Durham University - 2009-2012
- Area Trainer – Waterstones (London area) – July 2016-August 2018
Additional role alongside shop management. I ran weekly classes in several branches, which included giving presentations and leading discussions. I also specialized in training new employees on a one-to-one basis within my branch team.
- Bookshop Manager – Waterstones Leadenhall – March 2017-August 2018
- Bookshop Manager – Waterstones Gower Street – June 2016-March 2017
- Bookseller – Waterstones Trafalgar Sq – June 2014-June 2016
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking modern literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£18||£18||Not available|
|5 hours||£80||£80||Not available|
|10 hours||£150||£150||Not available|