Hi - I'm Will. My tutorial sessions are engaging, effective, and catered to the different needs of each individual.
I help students understand how to achieve top marks, become confident in their own abilities, and of course, enjoy the subject!
Graduated in 2016 from Oxford University with a BA in English Language & Literature. Now working professionally in the arts and charity sectors.
Over 5 years as a tutor and mentor, I've helped more than fifty students to excel academically.
I require 48 hours notice for rescheduling or cancellation. If a lesson is rescheduled or cancelled less than 48 hours beforehand, I reserve the right to retain a deposit of 50% of the booking cost.
2013 – 2016 Oxford University, St Edmund Hall
Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature (2.1)
CELTA qualification (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)
2011 – 2013
Godalming Sixth-Form College (Surrey, UK)
A Levels: English (A) / History (A) / Philosophy (A*)
May 2017 - present Marketing & Communications at The Landmark Trust (Historic Buildings Charity)
• Editorial – Developing editorial strategy and content. Researching and writing on the Trust’s philosophy, work, and buildings from both commercial and engagement perspectives, and for a range of digital as well as print media.
• Project management – Managing all aspects of the ‘Young Landmarkers’ membership scheme including development, marketing, administration, and events programming.
• Digital marketing – Running email and social media campaigns, using automation platforms alongside Google analytics.
• CMS – Maintaining and updating the Trust’s website using Episerver.
2016 – present London Editor at The Cambridge Humanities Review
• Managing and directing the journal’s London team, and its general presence and activities in the city – namely, its promotion, sponsorships, distribution, and events across London.
• Recently, I independently organised a sold-out event hosted at the London Review Bookshop, with speakers including the celebrated writer and psychoanalyst Adam Phillips.
2017 Administrative & Events Assistant at The University of Surrey, Guildford School of Acting
• Assisting with the administration and logistics of day to day operations in a busy university drama department, including timetables and scheduling, buildings maintenance, and stock.
• Oversaw digital marketing for the Guildford International Music Festival, and assisted with events coordination.
2016 Editorial & Research Intern at The Institute of Art and Ideas
• Carrying out research and analysis in the arts and in philosophy, and in the markets surrounding these fields.
• Ideas generation, and event planning and organisation.
• Liaising with a wide range of speakers, partners, customers, and institutions.
President, Socrates Society (2014 - 2016)
Socrates Society was a popular, informal student philosophy society at Oxford University. Speakers would give a talk on any topic of their choosing - provided it was approached philosophically - which would be followed by the ever-successful combination of discussion and wine. As President, I was responsible for all aspects of the termly events programme, including curating speakers and topics, organising venues, and promotion.
Clubs & Societies Officer, Oxford University Student Union (2014-2015)
Having run for and been successfully elected as Clubs & Societies Officer for OUSU, I was responsible for coordinating and delivering the Student Union’s support to the student clubs and societies at Oxford University.
Environmental Training Course with Operation New World
I was awarded a place on a week-long course on the island of Corsica, where – with the guidance and mentorship of industry professionals – I learned how to conduct a range of environmental surveys and assessments, culminating in a provisional environmental impact assessment of an area of the Corsican coastline.
SKILLS & INTERESTS
Driving: I hold a full, clean driving license.
Languages: Intermediate French.
I was a member of the Oxford University Bibliophile Society whilst at university, and have gradually amassed my own modest library and book collection, comprised primarily of classic literature and books on philosophy, history, and nature, along with some antique books.
I love exploring foreign countries - both geographically and culturally. I have travelled extensively in Europe, and am lucky enough to have also been to countries including the U.S., Cuba, Singapore, Nepal, and Australia (among others).
I am a keen walker, and will get out into the countryside at any opportunity. I have particularly enjoyed hikes up to the Eagle’s Nest at Berchtesgaden near Salzburg, along the Portuguese coast and through the forests north of Lisbon, and, also finding urban walks to be interesting, across the city of London from Wembley Park to Crystal Palace. I hope soon to walk one of the ancient tracks that traverse Britain - perhaps the Pilgrims Way.
“A resourceful, highly intelligent student, capable of excellent work, quick thinking and flexibility”
- Lucy Newlyn (Fellow and Professor of English at St Edmund Hall, Oxford University)
“An invaluable asset... able to turn his hand to any task required, quickly, efficiently and with a level of competency that instilled confidence in those around him. As such, I can highly recommend Will as an employee.”
- Nancy Edwards (Marketing, PR & Events Manager at Dunsfold Park Ltd.)
Excellent! Will had been very enthusiastic, kind and friendly on his first day with my Son. We would definitely recommend him to support any student looking for help in GSCE English.
Though we only had one session together (due to geographical constraints), Priyatos (Subrata's son) seemed like a very bright and motivated student. It was a pleasure to meet him and discuss his academic progress, and I wish him all the best in his studies.
Will is patient, supportive, approachable and friendly. He adapts his teaching style to your needs as a student and does a lot of preparation for all his lessons. Will goes the extra mile to get the very best from whoever he is working with. Highly recommended
Will has over 5 years of experience tutoring a variety of students in different subjects at different levels. The most important thing about his tuition style is his adaptability to the needs of his student, reflecting his commitment to seeing the achieving results his tutees are capable of in reaching their full potential.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking text commentary lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|