Hello and welcome to my profile. My speciality is teaching people to write great essays and pass their exams.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach all aspects of English at GCSE and A-Level: Essay Writing, IELTS, OET, Creative Writing, English Literature, English Language, Business English and English as a Second Language.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
• Novelist with 12 published titles (check me out on Amazon). • Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). • BA (Hons) English and Business Studies. • 730 City & Guilds FE Teacher's Certificate.
- How much do you charge?
• £25 per hour, online or at my home. I charge extra for travel if I come to your house.
- Where do you teach?
Most of my students are online.
You are welcome to come to my house for lessons.
I charge for travel to Pendle, Barrowford, Nelson and Burnley.
For those who would like their distance learning personalised, I am happy to arrange an initial meeting for students in Ribble Valley, Clitheroe, Blackburn, areas around the M65 corridor, and the Yorkshire areas of Skipton, Settle and Keighley. Parents, remember that online tutoring from me means that you know who is teaching your child, yet you don't have to pay for travel and you can stay comfortably at home while your child has a lesson!
- When are you available?
I have two vacancies on Mondays at 5:00 and at 6:00 ONLY for students who can come to my home in Colne.
Sorry, but my online slots are fully booked.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
• 11+ students, students taking GCSE and A-level English courses. • Any student who wishes to improve essay writing and/or exam skills. • Any student who wishes to improve Creative Writing or Business English. • Medical professionals who need an ESOL qualification in order to practice in the UK (I can offer IELTS and OET tuition) and also British people who need IELTS in order to emigrate.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
11+, GCSE and A-level: WJEC, OCR, Edexcel, AQA, CCEA, ESOL: general skills and preparation for all exams including Trinity College, OET, Cambridge FCE and IELTS. • Business English: style & communication, reports and presentations. • Creative Writing: romantic and popular fiction.
I have also helped students who are working towards distance learning qualifications such as teaching certificates.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I have had several students who live overseas and are taking a British A-level (Cambridge, AQA & Edexcel). A calling system such as Skype combined with Google Docs works surprisingly well for all tuition.
I currently tutor overseas students who are working towards places at selective schools such as Sevenoaks and Winchester.
Creative Writing and Essay Writing are easy via email exchange using Word documents and the â€œTrack Changesâ€ option. Parents, online tutoring means you can be comfortably at home instead of being a taxi service!
IELTS students, we can work online, or you can book a block session at my house.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
My focus is you: I offer clear, well-structured sessions that will help you pass your exams and reach your goals.
- What kind of experience do you have?
• 'Retired' from teaching A-level and GSCE English at a local college in order to concentrate on home tutoring. • Over ten years experience in teaching Creative Writing. • 5 years TEFL experience in Hong Kong and Tokyo (teaching English as a foreign language).
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Will supply DBS on request.
- Where and with whom did you train?
• In 2010, I gained my Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) at the Burnley campus of the University of Lancashire. • In Japan, I worked for the Berlitz Schools of English, who have a thorough and effective system of in-house training. • City & Guilds 730 FE Teacher's Certificate.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
* Romantic Novelists Association * University & College Union
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I tutor A-level students who live abroad; GCSE English students who need extra help to pass the exam; A-level students who want an A grade; and romantic novelists determined to be published. I also teach qualified people who need IELTS/OET/CAMBRIDGE to work in the UK and native speakers who need a good IELTS grade to emigrate to Australia and New Zealand.I also teach students who want to study in the UK and who are aiming at top boarding schools.
• English & Business Studies (BA Hons)
• PGCE - awarded by UCLan
• Will supply DBS on request
• University & College Union; Romantic Novelists' Association
I got 9 in reading, 8 in listening, 7.5 in speaking, 7 in writing. I am very happy that I got through. Your tips for speaking and writing really helped me...I am very happy to inform others about how helpful you were. Thanks again.
Thought we should let you know how J got on with his GCSE English paper [after 7 sessions].
He received a grade 'B' up from a 'C', which is what we hoped! He also recently had some more course work marked just shy of a grade A, He says his thought process in English has changed for the better, which is down to the time you spent with him, so maybe in hindsight we should have contacted you 12 months sooner.
J went into [her exams] feeling much more confident about her ability and what she needed to produce in order to receive marks. I am really grateful for the support and encouragement that you offered her and I'm sure you played a large part in her enthusiasm for the subject - so much so that she is considering dropping Sociology at A level in favour of English ... you can quote me. I'd definitely recommend you to others.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, 11+ school exam preparation lessons for all!
Taking dissertation and thesis preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|