Cambridge-educated, I am a highly experienced tutor with over 1500 hours' experience. In the Varsity Top 100, I was described as being 'one of the friendliest faces in Cambridge' and, as a tutor, I am unfailingly enthusiastic and dedicated.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I am a specialist in French at all levels (with a 100% success rate in scholarship examinations). I also specialise in Spanish tuition at all levels and English Literature and Language, also to university level. Furthermore, as a graduate of Royal Central, I am able to offer tuition in the dramatic arts.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have been enabling students to achieve their full potential for 12 years now. I began teaching in 2006 and, before that, on my gap year, I was an assistant in a French school. At GCSE, I gained 12 A*s and 1 A (one mark off an A* - something which, to this day, continues to be the subject of good-natured teasing by friends). Nonetheless, I was awarded the Headmistress' Prize for the Best GCSE results in the school and appeared in the local paper. I then went on to achieve 5 High As (above 90%) at AS and A Level and was given the school award for Outstanding AS Results (2003) and Outstanding A Level Results (2004), as well as both Language Prizes. Being a year young at school, I gained entrance to Cambridge University at age 16, so took a year off to take my Grade 8 Violin exam (passing with Distinction) and divided my year between France and Spain in preparation for study at Cambridge University where I took Part 1 French and Spanish at Queens' College. Though there was a great deal of literary content to the course, I found my passion for literature in my own tongue unsated so I decided to do my Part 2 in English Literature, choosing papers in Shakespeare, Tragedy and American Literature. I feel I thus definitely made the most of my time at Cambridge and, as a result, am able to offer tuition in a range of disciplines.
Despite all this sounding as if I must live with my nose perpetually in a book, whilst at university, I was listed in the Varsity Top 100, a compilation of 'one hundred of the most talented, influential and hard-working students at Cambridge', where I was described as being 'one of the friendliest faces in Cambridge' - and I am still just as friendly now! I am an extremely approachable person and easily develop a rapport with students. However, I am not afraid to let them know when they are not working hard enough and this never comes across as anything other than because I care!
- How much do you charge?
Please see rates by subject level listed above. I am an online specialist. However, I consider face-to-face lessons subject to the agreement of a fee for travel time.
I also like to offer an introductory lesson face-to-face with any new online student, where possible.
- Where do you teach?
Online or face-to-face locally in Hertford. As stated above, I consider face-to-face lessons subject to the agreement of a fee for travel time.
- When are you available?
Weekdays and school holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
All ages and levels. Please see subject list above.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
Each student receives a bespoke folder on Google drive. This allows me to share all of the relevant sheets with the pupil ahead of the lesson so that they can be printed, if required. I also give parents access to the folder so that materials can be viewed, homework can be submitted and any session notes (made via Google Docs) can be accessed.
Over the course of tuition, I work via Google documents which we both can edit. This allows me to make any corrections and to create documents which summarise the learning so that our day's work can be printed at the end of the lesson. Depending on the parents' preference, the student can complete homework online, or can create their own hand-written workbook and upload a scanned copy of their work for me to check.
- What kind of experience do you have?
• My home-schooled French A Level pupil gained an A* and his place at Oxford. Another home-schooled A Level retake pupil went from B to A* Level and received unconditional offers from top universities.
• My remedial IB pupil improved his grade from Level 4 to Level 6 after working intensively on his English Language and Literature with me for 4 weeks. He then, with my ongoing help, went on to secure his Level 6 and his place at University College London.
• Under my tuition, my 13-year old pupil successfully gained his place at Eton on a French scholarship. Another two pupils were awarded scholarship to St Paul's - one of whom achieved the highest marks in the school for his French exam, for which he received a personal phone call.
• My Common Entrance pupil - with whom I had been working for three years - got a Merit for French, meaning he scored 80-90%.
• All three of my EFL students gained places at the schools of their choice (Headington, Sedbergh and The Dragon School), as did both pupils
applying for Wellington College at 13+. Also, my 11+ pupil gained her place at Francis Holland.
• Last year, my GCSE French tutee, with whom I had worked for two years, gained an A*. He has gone on to take French for A Level, under my tutelage.
• Also in 2017, both my AS Level French resits, with my help, achieved their A grades and my Year 10 Spanish tutee improved her marks by 30% across the board. In addition, my remedial French A Level pupil improved her marks from a D in February to an A in April!
• I also work with university students and, last year, I consulted on and helped with the structuring of a Durham fourth-year languages student's essays on French art and film, as well as on multiple literature essays. I also provided intensive and ongoing assistance to a girl in the final year of her course at UCL. I am currently consulting on an MA Dissertation with a student at the Shakespeare Institute (University of Birmingham) for a girl discussing the exploration of Grief in Shakespeare.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes - available upon request
- Tell me about some of your current students.
Lowri Amies single-handedly taught my son for A level French via Skype and in person; he had been forecast an A at best. She got him an A star. She is not just a very nice person but highly organised and pragmatic. She knows the grade is everything, and her lessons are channeled towards that goal. I would wholeheartedly recommend her to anyone.
From the moment we met Lowri, we knew she would help our daughter achieve the desire of her heart. She went above and beyond to teach with passion, commitment and excellence. She brought out excitement for learning and brilliance within such a short time in our daughter, so much so that her teacher in school who had predicted her a low grade sent out a mail to attest to the remarkable improvement after just a few weeks of her initial assessment. She made an A grade! Lowri's methods and passion for teaching are next to none. Thank you so much Lowri.
Lowri tutored our daughter Ruby and we just loved her. She was amazing with Ruby and her tutoring skills showed in
Ruby's results. The lessons were interesting and Ruby looked forward to it every week. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Lowri - she is a wonderful girl and it was a pleasure to have her in our home.
We are very grateful to Lowri for her French tuition for both A level and GCSE. She has excelled at guiding both my son and daughter with a fine balance of encouragement, support, teaching resources and techniques to improve their grades and give them the confidence to sit their exams worry free.
• MA CANTAB Queens' College, Cambridge University: BA Hons – 2.1 PART 1: French and Spanish, PART 2: English Literature. Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London: BA Hons in Acting (Acting Strand) - 2.1
• DBS Checked - copy available upon request.
Really great teacher. Has a lot of patience and stays very positive. Teaching methods are brilliant and always comes to lesson with lots of material to work on
Lowri has been helping my 15 and 11 year olds now for over a year in both French and English.
Both look forward to seeing her and enjoy their one on one time with her.
She manages to inspire and encourage both on different levels. My eldest is preparing for gcse and my daughter has just successfully gained entry to her first choice secondary school with Lowri’s help.
I would certainly recommend Lowri whose patience and enthusiasm both encourages learning and makes the hour spent with her both productive and interesting.
For what it’s worth, my son is a scientist and mathematician but with help from Lowri discovered a love of literature and theatre.
Lowri is an amazing French tutor. She is organised, professional and made a real connection - resulting in a GCSE A* grade.
I would highly recommend her.
acting lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|