I'm a friendly and supportive teacher who strongly believes in the importance of developing a solid practice routine for my students in order to improve their musicianship. I can teach both in english and italian.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach the saxophone at any level (from beginner to advance), jazz improvisation, music theory, elements of jazz harmony, clarinet (beginners) and flute (beginners)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Jazz master's degree at Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London.
- Jazz bachelor's degree at the conservatory "Vincenzo Bellini", Palermo (Italy).
- High school diploma at Liceo Classico "Empedocle", Agrigento (Italy).
- How much do you charge?
- £35 per hour
- extra fees for travel (5£), depending on the distance.
- one to one lessons preferred
- available for small Group lessons (25 pounds each for groups of two),
- Where do you teach?
At students' houses
- When are you available?
During weekdays and weekend
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Any ages, from beginners to intermediates/advancers
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I can prepare students for grade exams with ABRSM and Trinity college of music.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I can teach both in english (very fluent) and italian (my mother-tongue). I would love to help my students discover how beautiful an experience playing music is and how to enjoy and have fun with it. I am aware of what the students really need due to my years of study and training so am well qualifed to help out and pass on my own musical knowledge to students young and old. Whatever their ambitions I do my utmost to help my students reach their playing goals and get as much enjoyment from playing their instrument as possible.
Here is a list of important points the students will learn:
- technique (scales, arpeggios and patterns in all Keys and different tempos etc)
- sound (dynamic, how to develop a personal sound, long tones, overtones, vibrato, mouthpiece's exercies,etc)
- articulation (staccato, legato, jazz pronunciation/swing)
- time feel and expression
- reading music/Learning repertoire
- jazz improvisation
- music theory/ elements of jazz harmony
Although my lessons are booked by the hour, I usually allow them come to a natural ending so may go slightly over the alloted time, give or take 10-15 minutes (same lesson price charged).
I have a 24 hour cancellation policy; this is to give me a chance to fit someone else into the lesson slot.
If you have questions about the way i tailor my lessons or want to clarify anything i am happy to answer, don't hesitate to contact me.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Freelance musician, performing in London and across Europe/Asia.
- performing my own compositions
- performances at jazz festivals and Jazz clubs.
- private teaching
- collective jazz saxophone masterclass (Hong Kong, october 2017)
- TV (TV Vintage) and RADIO (BBC radio Kent, Tumbridge Wells) performances experience
- Volunteering at Oxfam bookshop (Herne Hill's branch)
- Volunteering as room attendant at "Handel & Hendrix in London" museum
This is my biography:
Marco Marotta (born in Agrigento, Italy, on the 15th of June, 1991) is a professional freelance saxophone player (tenor, soprano and alto), composer and music tutor based in London. He's active in different genres such Jazz, blues, funk, fusion, ambient, soul, rock and free improvisation.
He started studying classical saxophone for 3 years, but afterwards he decided to turn his musical interests into the Jazz world. He obtained his Jazz bachelor degree at the conservatory â€œVincenzo Belliniâ€ of Palermo, Italy (2014). He moved to London in september 2015 and he achieved the Jazz master degree at â€œGuildhall school of music and dramaâ€ (2016). He took part to several masterclasses with big musicians of the Jazz scene: Joe Lovano, Dino Govoni, Danilo Rea, Emanuele Cisi, Francesco Cafiso, Max Ionata, Seamus Blake, Jerry Weldon, Marco Tamburini and Steve Grossman. He played in festivals as " Langnau Jazz Nights " (Switzerland, 2013), â€œArcosoli Jazz festivalâ€ (Italy, 2014), â€œConcorso Chicco Bettinardiâ€ (Italy, 2017), â€œBlackpool Jazz & Blues festivalâ€ (UK, 2017) and many others. He toured in Hong Kong and China (Guangzhou and Beijing) for the launch of the NTBM album â€œAnd orangeâ€ (october 2017), in the meantime he held his first saxophone masterclass in Hong Kong.
Since he moved to London, he played in different venues: â€œVictoria & Albertâ€ museum, â€œHandel & Hendrix in Londonâ€ museum, Barbican free stage (with free jazz musicians as Henry Grimes and Marshall Allen from the â€œSun Ra Orkestraâ€), Rich Mix, VINTAGE TV at Water Rats, Pizza express Jazz club (Maidstone), Pizza express Jazz club (The pheasantry, Chelsea), Oliver Jazz Bar, Ain't nothing but blues bar, Milton Court, BBC RADIO KENT (Tunbridge Wells). Since february 2017 he joined the staff of the â€œHandel & Hendrix in Londonâ€ museum.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes. Enhanced DBS check.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Jazz bachelor degree at Conservatory "Vincenzo Bellini" of Palermo, Italy (2010-2014). I also attended a classical course there for 3 years.
- Jazz Master degree at "Guildhall school of music & drama", London, UK (2015-2016)
- My tutors during my master's degree: Stan Sulzmann, Iain Ballamy, Trish Clowes, Jean Toussaint, Scott Stromann, Malcolm Edmonstone, Carlos Lopez-Real, Trevor Tomkins, Martin Hathaway, Stuart Hall, Gareth Williams
- masterclasses' tutors and private tutors: Joe Lovano, Seamus Blake, Steve Grossman, Dino Govoni, Emanuele Cisi, Max Ionata, Francesco Cafiso, Brandon Allen, Danilo Rea, Marco Tamburini, Jerry Weldon
- Tell me about some of your current students.
My current students range from children at beginner level to aduts who have taken up the sax as a retirement hobbie. Many of them work full time jobs outside of music so just learn for fun and others are aspiring professionals.
• Jazz bachelor degree at "Conservatorio Vincenzo Bellini", Palermo, Italy
• Jazz master degree at "Guildhall school of music & drama", London
• enhanced DBS check
• ISM (incorporated society of musicians
Perfect! Marco is an excellent teacher and saxophonist. He is providing a tailor made course based on my requirements. He provides very well paced lessons and a good level of challenge. He is reliable, friendly and patient in his approach.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£35||£35||Not available|