I'm a friendly and supportive teacher who strongly believes in the importance of developing a solid practice routine for my students in order to improve their musicianship. I can teach both in english and italian.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach the saxophone at any level (from beginner to advance), jazz improvisation, music theory, elements of jazz harmony, ear training, clarinet (beginners)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Jazz master's degree at Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London.
- Jazz bachelor's degree at the conservatory "Vincenzo Bellini", Palermo (Italy).
- High school diploma at Liceo Classico "Empedocle", Agrigento (Italy).
- How much do you charge?
ONE TO ONE
- £40 per hour
- £60 = 1.50h
- £80 = 2 hours
- £30 per person (1hour)
- £35 per person (1.50 hour)
- extra fees for travel (£5), depending on the distance.
- Where do you teach?
At students' houses
, at my place and online (Skype etc)
- When are you available?
During weekdays and weekend
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Any ages, from beginners to intermediates/advancers
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I can prepare students for grade exams with ABRSM and Trinity college of music.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I can teach both in english (very fluent) and italian (my mother-tongue). I would love to help my students discover how beautiful an experience playing music is and how to enjoy and have fun with it. I am aware of what the students really need due to my years of study and training so am well qualifed to help out and pass on my own musical knowledge to students young and old. Whatever their ambitions I do my utmost to help my students reach their playing goals and get as much enjoyment from playing their instrument as possible.
Here is a list of important points the students will learn:
- technique (scales, arpeggios and patterns in all Keys and different tempos etc)
- sound (dynamic, how to develop a personal sound, long tones, overtones, vibrato, mouthpiece's exercies,etc)
- articulation (staccato, legato, jazz pronunciation/swing)
- time feel and expression
- reading music/Learning repertoire
- jazz improvisation
- music theory/ elements of jazz harmony
Although my lessons are booked by the hour, I usually allow them come to a natural ending so may go slightly over the alloted time, give or take 10-15 minutes (same lesson price charged).
I have a 24 hour cancellation policy; this is to give me a chance to fit someone else into the lesson slot.
If you have questions about the way i tailor my lessons or want to clarify anything i am happy to answer, don't hesitate to contact me.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- performances in London and across Europe/Asia.
- performances at international jazz festivals and Jazz clubs.
- private teaching
- collective jazz saxophone masterclass (Hong Kong, october 2017)
- performances for TV shows and radio
- Volunteering at Oxfam bookshop (Herne Hill's branch)
- Volunteering as room attendant at "Handel & Hendrix in London" museum
Marco Marotta (born in Agrigento, Italy, on the 15th of June, 1991) is a professional freelance saxophone player (tenor, soprano and alto), composer and music tutor based in London. He's active in different genres such Jazz, blues, funk, fusion, ambient, soul, rock and free improvisation.
He started studying classical saxophone for 3 years, but afterwards he decided to turn his musical interests into the Jazz world. He obtained his Jazz bachelor degree at the conservatory "Vincenzo Bellini" of Palermo, Italy (2014).
He moved to London in september 2015 and he achieved the Jazz master degree at "Guildhall school of music and drama" (2016).
He took part to several masterclasses with big musicians of the Jazz scene: Joe Lovano, Dino Govoni, Danilo Rea, Emanuele Cisi, Francesco Cafiso, Max Ionata, Seamus Blake, Jerry Weldon, Marco Tamburini and Steve Grossman.
He played in festivals as " Langnau Jazz Nights " (Switzerland), "Concorso Chicco Bettinardi" (Italy), "Cheltenham Jazz festival" (UK), "Isle of Wight Festival".
In 2017 He toured in Hong Kong and China (Guangzhou and Beijing) in the meantime he held his first saxophone masterclass in Hong Kong.
Since he moved to London, he played in different venues such as : Royal Albert Hall, Ronnie Scott's, Oliver's Jazz Bar, 606 jazz club, Rich Mix, Barbican, Pizza Express Jazz Club and many Others.
Across UK he performed in important theatre like "Liverpool Philarmonic","Birmingham Symphony Hall" and so on
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes. Enhanced DBS check.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Jazz bachelor degree at Conservatory "Vincenzo Bellini" of Palermo, Italy (2010-2014). I also attended a classical course there for 3 years.
- Jazz Master degree at "Guildhall school of music & drama", London, UK (2015-2016)
- My tutors during my master's degree: Stan Sulzmann, Iain Ballamy, Trish Clowes, Jean Toussaint, Scott Stromann, Malcolm Edmonstone, Carlos Lopez-Real, Trevor Tomkins, Martin Hathaway, Stuart Hall, Gareth Williams
- masterclasses' tutors and private tutors: Joe Lovano, Seamus Blake, Steve Grossman, Dino Govoni, Emanuele Cisi, Max Ionata, Francesco Cafiso, Brandon Allen, Danilo Rea, Marco Tamburini, Jerry Weldon
- Tell me about some of your current students.
My current students range from children to adults, from beginners to advanced/Professional. I prepare some of them for exame (ABRS, Trinity etc), whilst others wanna take up the sax as a retirement hobbie, Many of them work full time jobs outside of music so just learn for fun and others are aspiring professionals.
ONE TO ONE
£40 = 1h
£60 = 1.50h
£80 = 2 hours
£30 (per person) = 1h
£35 (per person) = 1.50h
• Jazz bachelor degree at "Conservatorio Vincenzo Bellini", Palermo, Italy
• Jazz master degree at "Guildhall school of music & drama", London
• enhanced DBS check
• ISM (incorporated society of musicians
Perfect! He is patient and encouraging even to a 70 year old beginner like me
Perfect! Marco is an excellent teacher and saxophonist. He is providing a tailor made course based on my requirements. He provides very well paced lessons and a good level of challenge. He is reliable, friendly and patient in his approach.
Marco has been a colleague of mine for 5 years now. He is one of the most dedicated musicians I know, transferring love and inspiration for music through his teaching to his students. He focuses on the individual and is always positive. His students particularly like his ability to make lessons fun and inspiring and his great humour.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|