I am happy to work with pupils up to sixth form level. I traditionally structure my lessons by focusing on topics the student has initially found difficult, then moving towards past papers to practice material further. I also find it useful to work through the syllabus alongside lessons pupils are receiving in school, complementing the work they are already doing and reinforcing complex concepts.
I am a 2nd year Marine Biology & Oceanography student with experience tutoring Biology, Chemistry, and Physics GCSE. I am well-informed of GCSE material in all three subjects, as well as A Level material in Biology and Chemistry. I have been giving lessons for several months now and have noticed improvement in both understanding and retention in my pupils.
University of Liverpool: (Current)
Marine Biology with Oceanography (BSC).
Mill Hill School, London, England (2013-2017)
A-Levels: Biology (A), History (A), Chemistry (C).
AS: French (B).
GCSEs: Chemistry (A*), History (A*), Biology (A*), English Language (A), English Literature (A), French (A), Physics (A), Mathematics (B), Music (C).
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart, Houston, Texas (2009-2011)
Southbank International School, London, England (2006-2008; 2011-2013)
Australian International School, Singapore (2003-2005)
• September- October 2017: I completed a seven week internship with KBRWyle, a science and technology company which contracts with NASA at the Johnson Space Center. This was a valuable learning opportunity as it exposed me to a variety of scientific disciplines, allowing me to further identify where my interests lie. Furthermore, as I was working with the Safety, Health, and Environmental Department, I was able to hone my laboratory safety skills and see how chemicals I had learnt about were actually used and stored in a real-world context.
• 2016-2017: I helped teach young children about recycling, as well as how to conduct chemical experiments during British Science Week.
• 2016: I gained experience working with farm animals while volunteering at Belmont Farm, and developed new skills working with fish while completing work experience at Pond Life Aquatics.
• 2015: I completed St John’s Ambulance First Aid training programme and have taught first aid skills to CCF cadets at Mill Hill School.
• 2014-2015: I wrote several freelance articles for ShoutOutUK.
Additional Interests and Skills
• Languages: I am conversational in Urdu and French.
• Mental Health: I helped create and was a member of a focus group at the Mill Hill Foundation which aims to improve mental health and wellbeing across the foundation. As part of this group I also assisted in developing a module to address mental health and mental wellbeing as part of our personal and social health classes for students.
• Politics and Society: I was a member of Sir James Murray Society at Mill Hill School. As a member of the Society, I gave a lecture on Introduction to Feminism to my peers in March. After giving that talk, I was invited to put together a teaching plan on this topic as part of our personal and social health classes. As a sixth former, I was a member of the Sir Francis Crick Society and assisted in putting together and participating in lectures and debates at school on issues such as the Death Penalty, Scottish Referendum, and Brexit; an invaluable opportunity to engage younger students with current events.
• Debate: I have participated in several Speech & Debating competitions (2009-2011) and have also participated in multiple Model United Nations conferences. I also helped organise a school-wide MUN conference at Southbank International School. This has helped to improve my public speaking skills and my ability to formulate arguments and proposals quickly.
Prizes and Awards
• Senior Monitor- In recognition of my contributions to the school, I was awarded the role of Senior Monitor and Head of School. This duty required me to be extremely careful with time management in order to balance my responsibilities as a representative of the school as well as my studies. It was also a valuable learning experience, as it required me to both lead effectively but also work as a member as a part of a larger team of school staff.
• Distinguished Delegate- I was recognised as a distinguished delegate at the 2016 Haileybury Model United Nations conference.
• Biology Olympiad- I competed in and achieved a Silver Award in the 2016 British Biology Olympiad.
• Barbara Jordan Essay Contest- I won a prize for an essay I wrote on the life and achievements of Barbara Jordan, the first African American woman elected to the Texas Senate.
References available upon request.
biology lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£10||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£40||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£80||Not available|