I believe that everybody has creativity inside of them. Creativity is deeply connected to who we are and most importantly who we can be, our vocation and our strengths. It is the source of confidence which is vital to an open mind and the success of learning. Reading a text, writing about a subject, it should do something to you, speak to you so that you can make up your own mind and think outside of the box and not in predetermined patterns. Everybody has a unique perspective if encouraged and liberated. Our capacities should not be compartmentalised, they should be applied to everything in many different forms and mediums. I think the word "studies" has too many negative associations attached to it which leads to a negatively influenced mind-set from the beginning. I want to decontextualise this word, rewire the brain, get it out of the pressure-filled and competitive classroom and bring the student and the wise voices from the past together, in a one-on-one session, to awake the spirit, burst boundaries and envision a present and a future with a new sense of self-esteem and motivation and connection.
My name is Laura Gentile.
I am a pentalingual blogger, vlogger and writer with two degrees, a Master of Arts in English Literature (Dissertation: The Decadent in Love with his Psychopomp: Thomas Mann's 'Death in Venice' and Adrian Lyne's 'Lolita') and Visual Culture and a Master of Letters by Research in English Literature, Film and Visual Culture (Thesis: Romanticising Decadence and Aestheticising Death: Women as Projection Bodies and Mimetic Identities in Zola’s 'Thérèse Raquin', Schnitzler’s 'Dream Story', Süskind’s 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer' and Eugenides’ 'The Virgin Suicides').
I am a time-relevant driven storyteller with a visual mind and a perseverant creative spirit.
I am the creator of Croque-Melpomene ((concealed information)
My debut novel "Within Paravent Walls" will be published by WiDo Publishing / E. L. Marker.
I write weekly posts for RTL Today, one of the major European Media companies.
I effectively collaborate with international establishments and at the moment I'm working with my US editor and the Luxembourgish media platform RTL.
I have years of media, festival, tutoring and translation experience.
BuzzFeed Berlin has shown interest in my work recently and I would love to collaborate with and work for high profile establishments, brands and magazines.
A pentalingual writer with two degrees and several years of media experience. Excellent communicator with translation experience. Customer care and people skills gained working at Brewhemia, a fast-paced and pressure-filled establishment, and supporting international festival and media projects.
• Analytical and critical thinking
• Creativity & enthusiasm
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Verbal & written translation skills
• Well-mannered & clean
• Emotional intelligence & attention to detail
• Self-discipline & strong work ethic
• Caring & polite
• Good intuition & considerate
• Ability to read body language & awareness of different cultural values
• Punctuality & reliability
• Computer skills (Word & PowerPoint)
• Hosting experience & working with deadlines & good time management
• B-Category EU driving licence
• Resourcefulness & open-mindedness
• Eagerness to learn & improve skills
• Articulate & helpful & dedicated
• Sense of humour
• Promotion experience
• Perseverant & goal-oriented
• Vast knowledge of & interest in global arts
• Easy to work with & kind-hearted & supportive
MEDIA AND FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE
• August 2018: Promoter for Espionage Free Fringe Shows
• April 2018- : YouTube Creator: “Croque-Melpomene”: Female Narratives Channel
• January 2018- : Blogger and translator for RTL Today (Radio Télévision Luxembourg)
• December 2017- : Blog Creator: “Croque-Melpomene”: Female Narratives: (concealed information)
• November 2017- : Debut Novel “Within Paravent Walls” will be published by E. L. Marker (currently working with editor)
• September 2017-August 2018: Server at Brewhemia
• June-July 2017: Display Coordinator at the Edinburgh International Film Festival
• January-June 2017: City Promoter for & FOH cashier at the Vintage Weigh and Pay Event (Edinburgh, Dundee & Glasgow)
• 2016-2018: City Promoter for, Event Manager Assistant for & FOH cashier at Lou Lou’s Vintage Fair (Edinburgh, Dundee & Glasgow)
• 2015-2016: Creator of Ara City Radio show, “Chasse-Sirène”, covering poetry/prose readings, literary criticism, film reviews and theme-specific music.
• October 2016- : German Translator of Joan Barbara Simon’s trilogy “Verses Nature”
• 2010-2014: FOH & General Assistant at the Ciné Sura Open Air Film Festival in Luxembourg
• August 2013: Publication of anthology “Seraphic Addiction” on Amazon worldwide
• 2013: My work was part of the obligatory reading for the academic course “Creative Writing” at the University of Luxembourg
• 2012: Article on “Biblical Imagery and Apocalyptic Visions in Films” published in Luxembourgish film magazine “Graffiti”
• 2011-2012: Creative writing published in two anthologies entitled “Shaking Thoughts” and “Until Forever Becomes The End”, edited by Joan Barbara Simon, PhD PhD
• March 31st 2018-June 2nd 2018: Actress in “The Hour We Knew Nothing Of Each Other”, written by Peter Handke, directed by Wils Wilson and Janice Parker at the Royal Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh
• January 2018: Part of Mollie Hodkinson’s student film “Oasis”
• July-August 2017: Soprano in the Choir for “The Divide”, written by Alan Ayckbourn, directed by Annabel Bolton, at the King’s Theatre in Edinburgh during the Edinburgh International Festival
• November 2016: Leading role in student short film “Tartlety Blinks”, directed by Iris Janković and Joao Cabrita
• August-October 2016: Actress in “The Suppliant Women” written by David Greig, directed by Ramin Gray, at the Royal Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh
• English (fluent), German (mother tongue), French (fluent), Italian (fluent), Luxembourgish (fluent), Romanian (beginner)
2015-2017: University of Aberdeen- Master of Letters, English Literature, Film and Visual Culture by Research
2012-2015: University of Aberdeen- Master of Arts, English Literature, Film and Visual Culture
2011-2012: University of Luxembourg- Bachelor in English Studies
2001-2011: Lycée classique et technique d’Echternach (A-Levels, Section A : Modern Languages: English, French, Italian & German Literature, History & Philosophy)
• Thesis : Romanticising Decadence and Aestheticising Death: Women as Projection Bodies and Mimetic Identities in Zola’s “Thérèse Raquin”, Schnitzler’s “Dream Story”, Süskind’s “Perfume: The Story of a Murderer” and Eugenides’ “The Virgin Suicides”
• Dissertation: The Decadent in Love with his Psychopomp: Thomas Mann’s “Death in Venice” and Adrian Lyne’s “Lolita”
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, english literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£29||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||£140||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||£280||£250|