I think that learning is like building a skyscraper. If the foundations or lower floors are shaky, it's going to be very difficult to build higher and higher. My approach to tutoring is to find the shaky floor, or topic, which is causing all the problems and help the student to turn it into a strength.
I spent a year teaching Maths in an under-privileged secondary school in Bristol after graduating with a 1st class degree from the University of Exeter in Politics, Philosophy and Economics. Whilst teaching, I also had the opportunity to tutor two students one-to-one and found that to be much more enjoyable for the students and myself! Working in this school gave me experience of teaching students of hugely varying abilities, from those who struggled with adding two digit numbers to those who were aiming for the top grades at GCSE.
University of Bristol June 2016 – July 2017
Professional Graduate Certificate in Education in Mathematics (Teach First)
The University of Exeter September 2013 – May 2016
BA Hons Politics, Philosophy and Economics; First Class
Bristol Grammar School September 2005 - June 2012
Economics (A*), English Literature (A), History (A)
Economics (A), English Literature (A), History (A), Mathematics (A)
5 A*s, 4 As
Teaching Employment History
Trainee Teacher of Mathematics - TeachFirst/Oasis Community Learning September 2016 – July 2017
A charitable organisation which aims to eradicate educational inequality in the UK.
• Solely responsible for the mathematical education of four classes of year 7-10 students.
• Developed intelligently structured and differentiated schemes of work for students of highly variable ability and maturity.
• Tutored a high prior attaining student with intentions of studying Further Mathematics A-Level in extra-curricular material, including mathematical proofs typically reserved for A-Level.
• Contributed to the broader departmental provision of mathematical education. E.g. Created assessments for entire year groups.
• Attained the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (ProfGCE).
• Under my tutelage, my only KS4 class outperformed the equivalently able class in the year group which was taught by a teacher with decades of experience.
• Initiated and played a significant role in the implementation of a daily program of basic arithmetic practice across all mathematics lessons after quickly identifying that a lack of proficiency was limiting students’ access to higher level material.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||Not available||£20|