At the first meeting, with the prospective pupil and parents, I establish a working relationship between the three parties to a positive outcome for the pupil. I try to get a general idea of the pupil's ability and aspirations. This enables me to plan a programme of tuition. However, I adapt that programme in view of the pupil's progress and also give them the opportunity to switch, temporarily, to any issues currently arising at school.
I am passionate about mathematics and try to share the magic of the subject with my pupils. I hope to inspire a positive feeling about maths or, failing that, at least remove the fear.
I aim to explain the "why" rather than the "how" to enable the pupil to tackle a wide range of questions. Over the years I have learned a variety of teaching styles and I will select those which best suit the pupil. I encourage the pupil to ask questions so as to ensure that all topics are properly understood.
At the end of each lesson I give the pupil some homework to consolidate the material covered during the lesson. This is checked at the start of the next lesson and any issues arising are tackled as soon as possible - usually before proceeding with the planned tuition.
I did an Bachelor of Science degree in Pure Mathematics (Sussex University, Brighton) followed by a Master of Science degree in statistics at Imperial College. I then worked for 30 years as a professional statistician in various UK Government Departments. When I retired, in 2009, I was Head of Statistics as well as Deputy Director in the Industry Economics and Statistics Directorate at the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (better known as the Department of Trade and Industry).
I have been giving maths tuition since 2008 and, over the years, I have worked with over 200 pupils with a wide range of abilities.
My rates vary according to the level for which tuition is required. The time available before exams can also affect the fee. As a general guideline, my hourly rates are:
KS3: £26 to 30
(I)GCSE: £28 to 32
A Level: £32 to 38
I do not charge for cancellations provided that I have 24 hours' notice. I reserve the right to charge half the fee for later cancellations but have only invoked that on a handful of occasions over the past 8 years.
I am passionate about mathematics and wish to share my passion for the subject with my pupils. I teach mathematics mainly at KS3 to A-Level and can also help university students in other disciplines on statistical aspects for their dissertations.
* 2008 onwards: Tutoring mathematics. I have now tutored just over 200 pupils.
* 1978-2009: Statistician in various UK Government Departments, finishing as Head of Statistics and Deputy Director in the Industry Economics and Statistics Directorate of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (better known as the Department of Trade and Industry).
* 1976-1978: MSc in Statistics at Imperial College, London.
* 1976 Summer: Graduate intern at the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (World Bank) Washington DC.
* 1973-1976: BSc in Pure Mathematics (with statistics) and Economics at the University of Sussex, Brighton.
* I take pupils of all abilities so an analysis of their results sheds no light on the value which my tuition adds.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£26||Not available||Not available|