Very much student focused around what you want to learn, the best way that you learn and the outcomes you want. Not only from each session, but from all of them as a group.
This could include any or all of: lecture based teaching, tutorials and seminars; debate and discussion; case studies and real time news stories. It could be supplementary or complementary to anything you are currently studying or working towards, or to extend the breadth of your knowledge and understanding. It might also be to explore ideas, concepts, process or options for a project or assignment.
Face to face is good, but I can also do this long distance via Skype when that is not possible. It can individually or as part of a group.
I am a marketer. Mainly B2B, but I have also customer facing. I am also, a board director, a lecturer and mentor.
Business to Business | On the B2B side I have twenty years plus working client-side, in large blue chip corporations as well as SME’s and agency. Over the last few years I have spent a fair amount of time building brands and managing corporate reputation, while looking at internal and external business communications for change, generally where this is aimed at growth, re-positioning and/or anticipating market trends and a need for increasing responsiveness to market demands.
Customer Facing | Six years in a large local authority and three in the third sector for a national charity. In both cases using social marketing to try and change perceptions and pre-conceived ideas. I have worked with government and All Party Parliamentary Groups (cross house and cross party) to influence policy and to lobby. Inevitably this demanded complex, nuanced and diplomatic stakeholder relation management.
Board Director | I have been a director and board member for over twenty years creating strategic, integrated, internal and external communications plans focused on achieving business objectives and strategic KPI’s.
Lecturer and Mentor | I have lectured in marketing at MBA level and on a range of undergraduate courses; and developed and delivered an array of management, business and marketing training courses. I am a CIM mentor and have coached and mentored people at all levels from pre-university to board level.
I am a Chartered Marketer, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing and a Member of the Chartered Management Institute. I have a BA(Hons) in Philosophy, a distinction MA in Marketing Management and an MBA.
• Initial discussion is free.
• First lesson of one hour is free.
• Single session is £33.00.
• Block of five sessions is £157.50.
• Block of ten sessions is £300.00.
Group and joint sessions
• Single session is £24.75 per student.
• Block of five sessions is £23.35 per student.
• Block of ten sessions is £22.50 per student.
• External and internal communications for engagement and change.
• Networking and interpersonal skills to engage diverse stakeholders at all levels both inside and outside an organisation including influential external individuals, the media, and partner organisations.
• 360 degree analysis and solution-oriented scrutiny of issues and barriers to strategic development and operational implementation.
• Brand creation and reputation management.
• Shaping, execution and measurement of inventive marketing and communications campaigns designed to deliver the mission and key business objectives in the Third Sector, Public Sector, in SME’s and in agency.
• Building, managing and developing high performing teams and creating a culture of collaboration across disciplines and departments to deliver a common vision.
• Use of digital and new media to optimise integrated marketing and communications programmes.
• Formulation, management and control of multi-sourced, complex and substantial budgets.
• A Chartered Institute of Marketing mentor, with experience of mentoring directors at board level and developing people from entry level to senior management in marketing, management and strategic growth.
Nov 15 – Jul 18 Non-Exec Director
Helistrat Management Services and Helistrat Group Holdings, Lakeside, Portsmouth
As NED, I had specific areas of responsibility: governance, innovation, brand and reputation and strategic marketing
• Chair of Remunerations and Expenditure Committee
• Successfully delivered a number of Board level projects including:
a. Supporting Royal Dutch Shell to deliver the sustainability feature of its two-yearly Global Extended Retail Leadership Team event
b. Board sponsor for the successful implementation of GDPR across the company before the due date of 25th May 2018.
c. Led on the Due Diligence for the successful sale of both companies in July 2018.
Nov 12 – Nov 15 Head of Marketing and Communications
Helistrat Management Services, The Mill, Royal Clarence Marina, Gosport
Appointed in November 2015 as an external consultant to this environmental consultancy to review the brand and ensure the marketing directly supported growth.
• Turnover increased from circa £15m to £26m
• Client base trebled
• Brand hit well above its weight and reputation increased
• Transitioned brand from waste management to sustainability and environmental consultancy
• Invited onto the Board as NED in Nov 2015.
Nov 11 to Nov 14 Independent Management Consultant
Helping small businesses become bigger businesses by clarifying or identifying marketing and communication goals then providing drive and strategy to achieve them. Clients included:
• Southampton County Council Adoption Service: Commissioned to review the service and make recommendations to enhance its brand and image together with the effectiveness of its communications to attract a wider cohort of adopters.
• Helistrat Management Systems: Appointed to support the re-aligning of the business with the new ambition to support sustainable growth. Specific areas of focus include marketing and communications and organisational change.
• Marks & Spencer: Worked with Marks & Spencer to facilitate the Plan A Supplier Conference. Ensured maximum delegate representation and an engaging, authentic event. Maintained focus on all peripheral activities include event logistics and managing multiple stakeholders.
• St Vincent’s College, Gosport: Local community college undergoing significant change process. Appointed to make recommendations for strategic marketing direction and operational implementation.
• Airmax Remote: Appointed to formulate and drive a change programme to take it from a turnover of £5m annually to £20m within three years. Successfully delivered a plan to align the organisational structure and create a high performing across three UK sites, enabling increased contracts with higher profitability.
• The Rainbow Centre: I worked pro bono with this small, local charity to raise its profile and fundraising effectiveness. Internal uncertainties also meant its strategic priorities and direction required review.
Feb 09 to Nov 11 Head of Marketing and Communications
Dyslexia Action, Park House, Wick Lane, Egham, Surrey
Appointed to re-invigorate the charity’s brand and communication messages, creating increased profile and brand awareness. Managing up to 20 team members over three teams, my key purpose was to promote the brand, engage with stakeholders and support the fundraising function.
• Pioneered the use of new media to reach difficult groups, raise awareness and drive up fundraising and traffic to service areas. Dyslexia Action was, at that time, regarded as a leader in the use of social and e-media in the charity sector.
• Implemented a new internal communications strategy exploiting electronic and social media to optimise staff engagement and reduce costs.
• Stabilised and re-aligned the Marketing & Communications and Trading teams to realise achievable commercial target and better meet the needs of a third sector organisation in a recession.
• Led on the creation and implementation of an employee engagement programme.
• Published a Dyslexia Action manifesto to describe the sector policy, priorities and imperatives for dyslexia over the 2010 general election; supported green paper consultation on SEN; provided the secretariat for the All Party Parliamentary Group for Dyslexia/SpLD’s (Specific Learning Difficulties).
• Partnered with Right 2 Read and RNIB to improve access to reading aids and assistive technology for children and adults with SpLD’s. Member of the R2R Strategy Board and a Trustee of Share The Vision.
• Managed the marketing and communications for a 2 year DfE project delivered in partnership with RNIB, to provide a digital repository of curriculum materials for print disabled students in secondary schools in England. The project was self-sustaining by the end of March 2013.
Jul 08 to Sep 09 Associate Lecturer in Marketing (PT), Southampton Business School
Jul 08 to Sep 09 Tutor and Mentor (PT), University of Portsmouth
In addition to working full time at Hampshire County Council, I used TOIL to lecture on the Business Management undergraduate course at Southampton Business School and work as a mentor for Portsmouth University’s Workplace Learning Department. Here I supported Masters’ and Degree mature students to translate their working achievements into academic awards.
2003 to 2009 Marketing and Communications Officer
Hampshire County Council, Children’s Services, Swanwick, Hampshire
Appointed to support the council to engage in effective marketing with the aim of increasing the number of foster carers in the county and increasing the quality of applicants for specialist groups of children in care.
• Consistently exceeded SMART targets and increased the number of applicants by 500%.
• Improved the quality of applicants and increased candidates for priority and challenging groups.
• Created a strong brand and an energetic internal communications programme.
• Achieved cooperative team working to help achieve the outcomes of Every Child Matters.
• Worked with charities, pressure groups and Quangos to influence policy on fostering.
2003-2004 Lecturer (PT) in Marketing Management on MBA course
Fareham College, Fareham, Hampshire
1996–2003 Marketing and Communications Director (also Managing Director)
Napier Ross Limited, Fareham, Hampshire
A marketing and PR agency providing integrated marketing and communications campaigns for companies in the telematics, transport and defence electronics, finance and construction sectors. Clients included GEC-Marconi, BAe, Queensberry and Alliance Trade Finance.
• Turnover and client base doubled between 1999 and 2003.
• Extended the company’s business to include strategic marketing.
• Introduced a range of creative ‘off-the-shelf’ packages for smaller clients.
• Successfully targeted the SME and SOHO markets.
1992–1996 Marketing and PR Consultant/Account Director
Elstree, Hertfordshire (Freelance)
Strategic marketing planning and business development for clients in a range of sectors.
1985–1992 Business Area Manager
GEC Software Systems, St Albans, Hertfordshire
• Managed 5 teams; 4 each of 10 engineers and 1 of 4 marketing and communications staff.
• Re-aligned and improved after-sales service.
• Bettered business expansion targets by 202% in first twelve months.
• Successfully resolved a series of special project communication, training and management issues including a merger with one organisation and the acquisition of another.
• P&L responsibility.
• Appointed to the Chair of the GEC Vax (Digital Equipment Corporation) User Group.
2018 – 2019 Institute of Directors Ambassador, Hampshire and IOW.
2011 – 2012 Trustee of Share The Vision. A national charity sponsored by RNIB working with local,
national, academic and other libraries and charities to improve access for the print disabled.
2007 – 2009 Trustee of The Well. A local café and bookshop also providing NVQ, on the job
training for long term unemployed and people with learning difficulties.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Portsmouth University: MBA: Master of Business Administration
Southampton Business School: MA: Marketing Management
University of Hull: BA(Hons): Philosophy
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing
Member of the Chartered Management Institute
business studies lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest management lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, marketing lessons for all!
Taking business strategy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£33||£33|
|5 hours||Not available||£157||£165|
|10 hours||Not available||£300||£330|