I have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and I am offering lessons up to degree level.
Lessons are flexible based on an early conversation to determine exactly the best way to use the student's time. Typically, I will structure my lessons by swiftly reviewing the syllabus and ensuring the student is aware of all the topics involved, then completing tutorial questions and finishing with exam-style questions. Again, flexibility and communication during the entire process is key to ensuring that the student is making the most of their time.
I am very relaxed and easy to converse with, and more importantly, I will always listen to your concerns!
I am an MEng Mechanical Engineering graduate from Cardiff University with a Year in Industry working at Valero Pembroke Oil Refinery - one of Europes most complex sites.
I am highly proficient in mathematics and applying maths to real-world situations.
I have taught other students whilst at university to both help them and improve my own understanding to strong success!
Highly motivated graduate Mechanical Engineer, with experience working independently, and as a part of multi-disciplined teams. Flexible approach to work, with proven experience working in multiple sectors including research and development, inspection and reliability, mechanical and aero design, and manufacturing.
2:1 MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry, Cardiff University 2014 – 2019
• Year In Industry, Reliability and Inspection Engineer, Valero Pembroke Oil Refinery
Pembroke High School and Sixth Form 2006 – 2013
• A Levels: Physics, Mathematics, ICT
• GCSEs: 11 x A*- C, including Maths, English and Triple Science
• Achieved Sapper’s Scholarship from the Royal Engineers, July 2013 - for exemplary improvement and commitment in studies, specifically in physics.
COMMUNICATION: Contributed to weekly meetings by reporting and discussing project progress in both an academic and industrial environment. Developed technical engineering reports and gave technical presentations to audiences that were unfamiliar with the projects being reviewed. Effectively interfaced with project team members (both at Cardiff University and Valero Pembroke Refinery) to quickly and accurately complete tasks. Possess a basic to intermediate understanding of both written and spoken Spanish.
TEAMWORK: Worked at Pembroke Refinery as a part of the Reliability and Inspection Team. Quickly built relationships with people of many ages and various backgrounds, to ensure the effective and safe completion of work.
COMMERCIAL AWARENESS AND ANALYTICAL SKILLS: Strong analytical skills developed through completing mathematical modules throughout each year during my academic career, business management, accounting and economics modules, and statistical-based modules (Quality and Reliability) (Condition Monitoring, Modelling, and Forecasting).
IT: Experienced with I.C.T, heavy use of Microsoft Office package, internet technology, and self-taught Python and C++.
CREATIVITY: Consistently displayed creativity and innovation when designing the front wing of the Cardiff Racing Formula Student car, through many iterations of design and testing – both in 2D and 3D.
TIME MANAGEMENT, ORGANISATION, AND FLEXIBILITY: Fourth year at Cardiff University required the ability to manage multiple projects along with exam revision. Projects required the production and use of Gantt Charts. Time at Valero was spent managing multiple projects at a time, each with varying deadlines throughout the year. In both University and at Valero, I developed a high degree of flexibility and organisation to effectively manage my time.
Automotive Design Project, Cardiff University 2018 – 2019
• Ambitious team project to completely redesign the aerodynamics of the Cardiff Racing Formula Student Car, to drastically improve car performance.
• Achieving a 67% increase in cornering downforce for the Cardiff Racing CR15 Formula student Car, as a part of the 8-man aerodynamic improvement team.
• Combining individual and teamwork within a project setting, requiring weekly progress meetings and the use of Gantt Charts for effective project management.
• Conducting extensive research gathering technical knowledge, and displaying creativity in the design iteration stage, as well as strong teamwork and communications to synchronise the design with other aero packages and other car design teams.
Renewable Energy Design Project, Cardiff University 2018 – 2019
• Effectively working in a multi-discipline group setting to complete a feasibility report to determine whether an offshore hybrid wind and tidal energy park in the Cardiff bay area, would be both physically and economically possible.
• Communicating and working well with members of different engineering disciplines, to effectively create a report that accurately reflected the combined knowledge and experience of each member, regardless of familiarity in each engineering field.
• Implementation of a Computational Fluid Dynamics Study, to analyse methods of improving the feasibility of the Tidal Stream Turbines.
‘Fundamental two-phase benchmark problems for model validation’ Project, Cardiff University 2017 - 2018
• 63%: Experimental validation of Kensuke Yokoi’s 2011 paper “Numerical studies of droplet splashing on a dry surface: triggering a splash with the dynamic contact angle”.
• Successfully proved the theoretical concept that Dr. Yokoi proposed, despite the limited resources available as an undergraduate project.
• Promptly sought out and effectively communicated with university technicians, researchers, and professors to ensure the timely yet superlative completion of this project.
Inspection Engineer, Valero Pembroke Oil Refinery 2016 – 2017
• Combining individual and team project work within the reliability and inspection department.
• Developing a Microsoft Access database to record more efficiently, and report heater trips.
• Working closely with a senior inspection engineer to contribute to the development of multiple Material Operating Envelopes (MOEs).
• Organising and leading a project to determine the nature of flow at all the injection points on site. This was achieved through the recruitment of Ansys to complete detailed Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations and subsequent analysis. The project required meetings with contractors and senior management, as well as the creation of reports and assisting documentation.
Currently an Associate Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), which allows me to broaden my industry knowledge. I also began Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS) during my Year in Industry placement.
Strong interest in self-development. Currently learning Spanish, improving Python and general problem-solving ability, and studying philosophy in my spare time.
I have a keen interest in fitness, previously completing multiple Cardiff Half Marathons, raising money for cancer research at Cardiff University. I am currently running 200km over 26 days in may ending with a half marathon to raise money for the same cause. I enjoy cars and motorcycles, looking to acquire a full category A motorcycle license.
If you want a tutor with patience, ambition and who's full of knowledge then Josh is the perfect person for you! If it's success you're after then I highly recommend that you choose Josh to tutor you.
Though we studied different courses, I worked through several maths modules with Josh (as well as Mechanics and Thermodynamics/Fluids) during our time at Cardiff, and he really helped me understand some of the more difficult topics I encountered (Eigen-vec/values and Fourier in particular come to mind.)
He was able to present them in a totally different light and made them much more approachable when reviewing after lectures.
I always enjoyed studying with Josh because it's definitely a two-way conversation with lots of concepts and clarifications back and forth, but once the approach was fully established and made sense, he has a great ability to help you focus through a whole raft of example questions to really cement the working method.
I would highly recommend him as a tutor!
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, algebra lessons for all!
Taking trigonometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|