I support people to get the best from themselves. I work with individuals, groups or companies. Although flexible, I run a 5 week, 10 hour course with 2 hour sessions, offering theory and practice. Helping people with the psychology of learning and mindful practices. This can be aimed at beginners or more advanced practice.
I have 16 years experience of mindful practice and an MSc in the psychology of learning. I am A CBT therapist and teach counselling skills. I have spent 6 years facilitating mindful practice and my own "Feeling Human" course has testimonials on request.
groups and companies can gain this course for £400 for the 10 hours for up to 10 individuals.
I am a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist (CBT) incorporating the modern developments of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and Mindfulness. I have completed an MSc in Teaching Adults and I currently teach the COSCA Counselling Skills course at Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre. I run mindful practice and psychoeducational classes and also have a CBT clinic in Glasgow supporting individuals with mental health issues.
Using my knowledge, skills and practices, I can help people to gain confidence and resilience in all aspects of life.
MSc in Teaching Adults, University of Glasgow (Aug 2015- Aug 2016)
Psychology of Adult Education
Practical Placement Modern Educational Thought
International Issues in Education
Dissertation: Examining how Counselling Skills help us learn.
Pg Dip Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre, (Aug 2013- Jun 2015), accredited by COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
Mindfulness Compassion Focussed Theory
COSCA membership No. 3282
PVG Scheme Membership No. 1311 1061 3613 0306
COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills, Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre. (Jan 2013- Feb 2014)
Award in 1st line management (level 3), Institute of Line management. (2011)
Award in Forest School Leadership (level 3), National Open College Network. (2009)
Certificate in Arboriculture, Scottish Agricultural College & Royal Forestry Society.(2000)
Diploma in Medical Herbalism, School of Phytotherapy, East Sussex. (1996-1999)
Diploma in Aromatherapy, ITEC (1996-1997)
Diploma in Shiatsu, Glasgow College of Shiatsu. (1993-1996)
BSc. Biology, University West of Scotland. (1983-1986)
EMPLOYMENT and EXPERIENCE
CBT Therapist, Self-employed (Jun 2015-present)
Tutor in Counselling Skills, Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre. (Feb 2016 – present)
Support worker (2013-2016), Richmond Fellowship, Scotland
Countryside Ranger/project officer (2001-2013), Glasgow City Council.
Medical Herbalist, Neal’s Yard, & Woodland Herbs, Glasgow. (1999-2004)
Countryside Ranger, (1989-1997) Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park.
Environmental Skills Supervisor, (1986-1988), Grampian Regional Council, Scotland.
Scottish Conservation Projects volunteer. Scottish Conservation. (1986-1987)
Medical Laboratory Scientist, (1978-1983), Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow.
Career and Education History
1983-1986- BSc. Biology from University West of Scotland.
1986-1987- Scottish Conservation Projects volunteer.
• leading outdoor working holidays in Scotland’s Countryside
1986-1988 – Environmental Skills Supervisor,
• Leading and training in footpath design and construction, with landscape work, along Deeside.
1989-1997- Countryside Ranger at Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park.
• Leading people in countryside education and recreation.
• Delivering talks and guided walks.
• Gaining leadership skills, outdoor first aid and rescue.
1993-2000- Founding Director of environmental education charity.
• gaining skills in business and charity administration,
• Strategy development and co-operative teamwork.
• Practitioner in Shiatsu and Medical Herbalism,
1999-2004 –Medical Herbalist.
• Self-employed running my own health clinic, including delivering training in healthy living, nutrition, self-help, and practical Herbal Medicine.
2001-2013- Countryside Ranger with Glasgow City Council.
• I was lead officer for Glasgow City Council in community consultation; connecting people and their issues with appropriate public bodies, partners and stakeholders.
• Working with community groups and partners often in a therapeutic role in an outdoor setting. I gained experience in Forest School leadership and practical habitat management.
• Gained level 3 certificate, with the Institute of Line Management.
2013-2016 – Support worker With Richmond Fellowship Scotland,
• Supporting individuals with mental health issues live more independently in the community.
• Gained COSCA accredited Certificate in Counselling skills. And Diploma in CBT
• CBT Therapist, - self-employed, running clinic in Glasgow.
Qualifications and Professional training
2015/2016- MSc in Adult and Continuing Education at Glasgow University.
2014/15- Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy from Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre, accredited by COSCA (Counselling and Psychotherapy in Scotland)
COSCA membership No. 3282
PVG Scheme Membership No. 1311 1061 3613 0306
2013 – COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills.
2011 - Level 3 Award in 1st line management from Institute of Line management.
2009 – Level 3 Award in Forest School Leadership from National Open College Network.
2000 – Certificate in Arboriculture with Scottish Agricultural College and Royal Forestry Society.
1999 - Diploma in Medical Herbalism from School of Phytotherapy.
1997 – Diploma in Aromatherapy from ITEC.
1996 - Diploma in Shiatsu from Glasgow College of Shiatsu.
1986 – BSc. Biology from University West of Scotland.
Further Skills and Personal Development
Specialist Skills – Mindfulness (16 years’ experience including tutoring) and Compassion Focused Theory. Also I specialise in; plants as; - food, medicine and use in survival skills.
• I am a senior student and volunteer tutor of Philosophy with the “School of Philosophy Scotland” I facilitate open discussion for people interested in understanding themselves and the big questions we ask ourselves.
• I was a lay member of NHS West of Scotland Research Ethics Committee, helping to make ethical decisions on medical research.
• I previously wrote (as part of a team) a gardening column for the evening times, specialising in wildlife gardening.
• I have a certificate in safe working practice and manual handling.
• I enjoy playing badminton, table tennis, and squash, also hillwalking and climbing wall.
References- on request
Ian has the best practical understanding of Mindfulness and coping skills of anyone I have ever come across and he makes the subject understandable.
After his theory and practice I really feel better able to cope with life's emotional difficulties and be myself more than I ever have. His course has helped me to resolve relationship issues and communicate with others more effectively .
His wealth of knowledge and experience comes across really well and he exhibits the benefits of being calm in all aspects of life. Always approachable, he shows compassion, understanding and empathy and is a most genuine and authentic person.
He doesn't just talk the talk but walks the walk as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone to take Ian's courses as I believe they would benefit greatly from any of them .
Ian is kind, reliable, competent, honest, trustworthy, innovative, thoughtful, and open, with a flexible approach that is not constrained by the “one size fits all” perspective that so often blights modern teaching – his supportive and gently challenging way of being fosters a sense of belief in your work. His honesty means that he speaks plainly and directly about what you both think and see, including expectations and productive ways of meeting those expectations, and in a focus on constructive criticism; however, this honesty exudes compassion which builds trust and confidence very quickly. In essence, Ian practices what he preaches.
meditation lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£15||£15||Not available|
|5 hours||£45||£45||Not available|
|10 hours||£60||£60||Not available|