Ever thought of having piano lessons in the comfort of your own home taught by an expert teacher? Whether you want to study for exams or just for fun, I can take you from your first steps to advanced piano playing fast!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach Piano, Composition, and Theory, as well as A level and GCSE Music. I also teach orchestration/arranging as I have worked in this area.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I graduated in 2016 with a Masters Degree in composition from the Royal College of Music, achieving a distinction. There I was a full scholar, and was awarded the Joseph Horovitz prize in Composition. Prior to this I gained a First Class Bachelors degree from the University of East Anglia.
- How much do you charge?
£30 per hour
£20 per half hour
- Where do you teach?
I teach at the student's home. I am based in the Wanstead, Redbridge area, but travel to Ilford, Walthamstow, Stratford and surrounding areas.
- When are you available?
Am available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays upon request and availability.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
All ages and levels from 6 to 600! From beginner to Grade 8.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
ABRSM, Trinity, GCSE, A-Level.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
My lifelong belief is that you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it. I am extremely patient and genuinely tailor the lesson to your needs and your tastes. We work together to achieve what you want to achieve, whether you want to be able to play Debussy or the next Disney song, I will come up with a strategy for you to be able to reach this. But please do understand that learning an instrument requires practice, patience and dedication. I can only guide you and point you in the correct direction. But I know that after the first lesson you will fall in love with the piano, and be inspired to learn more and more!
- What kind of experience do you have?
I have been privately teaching piano and composition for 5 years, giving lessons in many styles to students from a wide variety of backgrounds and ages, from 6 - 65. I have taught the ABRSM and GCSE syllabuses as well as A-level, and have prepared students for exams. Aside from my teaching work, I also work in the film/TV industry as a composer and arranger. If you are looking for composition lessons then I can teach the various aspects of this from conception to production drawing on these experiences.
Some of my teaching methods include:
- Apply compositional and creative thought to lessons in order to improve wider musicianship.
- Apply critical thinking in lessons so that the student can confidently solve problems on their own.
- Often emphasise both the ability to listen and play by ear, and also to sight read, as I believe both are equally important for musical development.
- Set specific practice for each week, often creating tailored practice schedules for the student in order for them to understand it's importance, and to make reaching their goals realistic and manageable.
- Emphasise efficient practice whilst eliminating poor practice habits, so that the student can see quicker and stronger results.
- Apply the piano technique and knowledge acquired in lessons to broader musical subjects so that the student can mature into a well-rounded musician.
- Inspire the student so that they can acquire a passion and dedication so that they can reach their full potential.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Tell me about some of your current students.
My youngest student is 6 and is taking his first steps on the piano. We spend time each lesson composing a little piece, then learning to play it so we can focus on creativity as well as technique and practice. He is doing extremely well and we are working towards playing hands together.
My eldest student is 65, and she has come on leaps and bounds since first starting with me in September. She is a natural sight reader so we decided to focus on this strength, and she has improved in this area dramatically. She can now play Bach prelude No. 1 beautifully. She is an avid fan of Barry Manilow so watch this space!
• Masters Degree from the Royal College of Music
• DBS Checked
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£20||£20||Not available|