- Hourly rate £22
- Response Time 2h
- Number of students 19
1st lesson free!
Native bilingual (Mandarin and Cantonese) offering personalised Chinese classes in St Andrews
- St Andrews
- at their home
- at your home
- By webcam
Hilary is one of our best tutors. They have a high-quality profile, verified qualifications, a quick response time, and great reviews from students!
About the lesson
I find it extremely important to personalise my teaching method. Having taught students ranging from toddlers to adults, I know that different students need different levels of motivation and way of engagement. For young children, I recommend learning through games and stories; for mature students, I recommend a more conversational based approach.
- Vocabulary - Chinese
Chinese accent reduction
I grew up speaking Mandarin at home, since my mother is from Beijing. But Cantonese is the native language of Hong Kong where I come from.
I have six years of tutoring experience in language subjects, ranging from toddlers to adults for professional purposes, and children with special needs.
I am currently learning Spanish myself, so I understand the difficulties of acquiring a foreign language!
Perfect! Had a great trial lesson with Hilary, looking forward to learning Cantonese with her :)
Perfect! I think I found the best of the best! Charismatic and talented. Brilliant!
- Hilary's response : Aoliya is a wonderful student. She is motivated, detail-oriented, and talented in the phonetic components of language acquirement. Her passion in languages invigorates my own love for languages and we are able to explore Chinese, and linguistics, on the cultural, philosophical, and practical levels. I look forward to each class with Aoliya!
Perfect! Hilary's lessons are very interesting and well planned. Her content is engaging and helps push you along. I feel like I am getting a really good grounding in foundations of the mandarin.
- Hilary's response : Nicholas is a studious learner who is not only unafraid, but motivated by challenges. He learns rapidly especially because he understands and confronts his own weaknesses. It is a pleasure to accompany his journey in conquering Chinese!
Perfect! Hilary is a brilliant Mandarin teacher! She has a very in-depth knowledge of the subject, and uses her bilingual English/Mandarin to fully explain complex topics. Her lessons are well-prepared and engaging - and I would thoroughly recommend her as a tutor!
- Hilary's response : James is a wonderful student who is already quite advanced in Chinese when he reached out. He is talented in languages and undaunted by complexity, which makes him a perfect candidate for Chinese learning. He is a motivated learner and asks precise questions that helps me understand how to best facilitate his learning. I'm delighted to be accompanying James' studies and look forward to our future classes!
Perfect! Hilary is a fantastic tutor! Clearly has a lot of tutoring experience and able to deal with clients of different ages and abilities. A very systematic approach to her teaching, plans lessons in advance and makes the lessons informative but fun. Would highly recommend her as a tutor to anyone learning English and Cantonese/Mandarin!
- Hilary's response : Saurabh is very sweet to have looked for a tutor for his grandmother, who is an intelligent lady quite undefeated by age Very glad to be teaching Mrs Lau!
Perfect! Hilary is great, highly recommended. Very friendly, explained everything in detail and got a good amount covered in our first lesson.
- Hilary's response : Though we haven't had a formal lesson yet, speaking over the phone, Angus is a student with great potential. He is interested, patient with himself and devoted. Looking forward to our first meeting!
View more reviews
Hilary had been my Mandarin/Putonghua and Cantonese teacher for 6 months in 2017 before I left from Hongkong to Beijing. We had classes 3 times a week. Hilary is a very passionate and responsible teacher, and always tailor made my classes based on my level and needs. We are friends now and I recommend her to all level learners.
Hilary is a very energetic teacher. She taught me not only the language itself but also told me a lot about Chinese culture, introduced many must go places in China and some great Chinese food. I enjoy our classes a lot. Hilary is not only my Chinese teacher but is also my friend.
Hilary is the best Chinese teacher I have ever met! My friend recommended Hilary to me and I have been her student for more than one year. She impressed me at our first class by her lively teaching. She encouraged me to use my existing knowledge to learn Pinyin quickly and I was able to read a full sentence in a short time. I recommend Hilary to all levels of learners.
Hilary impresses me as highly professional; she tailors classes to my interests and adjusts the classes' pace according to my progress. She is quick to understand the problems I'm facing and is very good at communicating how to solve them
View more recommendations
- 5h: £100
- 10h: £200
- + ££5
Rates are approximate and will depend on level of student, their study goals and style. It is estimated based on the number of hours I will put in before and after the lessons for preparation.