My name is Sophia and I relocated from Germany to Edinburgh to live and work there. Because my partner is learning German, I quickly found myself in the position of a language tutor - and it's pretty awesome :)
I've always had a talent for language itself, and I'm willing to help anyone who has an intrinsic motivation to learn German or people who need help with translations.
Everybody is welcome, beginners as well as advanced learners!
Speaking of learning methods, I'll adapt to whatever you need. This includes for example:
- learning with a standard teaching book of your choice, including the practice of grammar rules, spelling and comprehension, as well as pronounciation and emphasis
- reading German books together - both partners can read out and afterwards discuss the content
- conversations - including standard or job interviews, colloquial language etc. (for advanced learners: we can even constantly talk in German)
- working through podcasts or other online content
- help with other learning methods, e.g. vocabulary apps, tips and advice for usage
- lessons available in Edinburgh or via Skype (voice-only)
As a native, I can offer specific knowledge about the language from an intuitive perspective. Working with non-natives on the other hand gave me a good insight in how they think and what their struggles with German might be.
As a physiotherapist, I'm used to explain and understand any insecurities my patients/clients might experience. Don't worry about any question or issue you have - I will try to get into your way of thinking and figure out which explanatory approach will be the best!
Due to my medical education, I can of course offer language-based service related to medical topics.
I'm looking forward to your requests!
I strongly prefer giving lessons via VOICECHAT (Skype, Discord, Teamspeak, anything is fine). I do NOT offer webcam lessons.
I need to charge increased rates depending on how long the traveltime is (I use public transport and my own feet).
My prices are generally based on both the way to your place and back to mine.
Prices may differ if I combine the lesson with other nearby activities (e.g. if the lesson is on my way from work).
Up to 30 minutes: Free of charge
30-45 Minutes: 5 £
45-60 Minutes: 7 £
60-80 Minutes: 10 £
80+ Minutes: 15 £+
- Born in northern Germany; lived there for 25 years - my German is 99% accent and dialect-free
- I graduated high school in 2012 (specialisations: German, English and Music/Art)
- Diploma in Physiotherapy 2017
- Worked in a private practice until I relocated to the UK in 2018
- I'm currently waiting for my European Professional Card registration, after that I'll continue to work as a physiotherapist, but I will also pursue my hobby of teaching German to you :-)
- Member of dict.cc, I am helping with recording correct pronounciations of German words
Sophia is patient, understanding and has a genuine passion for teaching (and learning!). She's helped me immensely with my German studies and I'd have no hesitation in recommending her as a tutor to others.
german lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - german lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, written comprehension - german lessons for all!
Taking german translation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£15||£15||Not available|