I am a newly qualified teacher with a postgraduate degree in social science and an undergraduate degree in graphic design. I also have an A-level in Latin and 11 GCSEs grades A*-B in subjects including English, maths, the sciences and French.
I use my knowledge and experience from teaching and teacher training to break learning down into understandable chunks and tailor lessons to students' needs. I focus on fluency in key knowledge and skills before working on applying that learning in different ways.
Lessons will involve recalling and revising previously learned material and linking this to new material. This might be in the form of pop quizzes or challenges right up to formulating more complex responses to higher-order questions.
I am new to tutoring, but I am a qualified teacher with a year's teaching experience. I have helped pupils develop their skills and understanding in maths and English, but also planned exciting learning opportunities in the foundation or 'topic' subjects.
University of Birmingham • 2016-Present
MRes Sexuality and Gender Studies
- Producing research on a number of subjects including the role of gender in primary classrooms - required spending time in classrooms and creating materials aimed at a young audience
- Communicating information to an audience who may be unfamiliar with a topic
- Project management
University of Gloucestershire • 2013-2016
BA (Hons) Graphic Design • 2:1
- Frequently challenged to come up with new and engaging ideas
- Several projects required working as part of a group as well as liaising with clients for optimal results
- Rapid skill acquisition
Learning Volunteer • Holst Birthplace Museum • Nov 2016 - Present
- Leading and supervising primary school group visits, including directing and encouraging engagement in activities
- Creating interactive presentations and teaching resources and occasionally providing basic tech support
Student Supervisor • Cheltenham Design Academy • Sep - Dec 2014
- Supervising use of equipment and materials during Saturday morning sessions with 14-16-year-olds
Other Roles • Sep 2010 - Present
While studying, I also took on a number of part-time, temporary and voluntary roles including retail assistant and university society committee member.
- Working with the general public in sometimes stressful situations
- Balancing work and voluntary roles with studies
School of Art and Design: Best Overall Student • July 2013 • Swindon College
Member of The National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth (later Young, Gifted and Talented Programme)
UK Junior Mathematical Challenge 2008 • Gold Certificate
UK Intermediate Mathematical Challenge 2010 • Silver Certificate
UK Intermediate Mathematical Challenge 2011 • Silver Certificate
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£12||£12|