I have spent 30 years researching how to teach Maths to students in a language they can understand, making their learning experience both simple and enjoyable. Instead of explaining Maths, I help them to see the ‘physical’ world as it really is and relate Maths to all they encounter in their ‘day-to-day’ lives. This helps them accept Maths and see for themselves just how important and relevant it is. Completely’ in-line’ with the UK Maths syllabi, my proven methods help overcome the natural unwillingness of the brain to understand Maths and create a natural balance to learn.
After just a few lessons my students’ understanding of Maths grows and it starts making sense to them and, in due course, becomes second nature. I promise that within a few weeks’ Maths will no longer be a headache in your family and will be just another important subject to pass.
I offer a range of tuition packages ranging from one-to one teaching, either in person or online, plus membership to my forum where students have unlimited participation.
I also offer a referral scheme for friends and family.
I have been teaching Maths to students aged 6 years old through to SATs, GCSE, ‘A’ levels and Adults for 8 years in the UK. My teaching experience is broad and includes working at North Hertfordshire College teaching Maths to students with autism and learning and emotional difficulties, private tutoring to students up to ‘A’ level and teaching in schools in Russia. I also taught Applied Maths, Dynamics, Gear Transmissions (Gear Geometry and Dynamics) to undergraduates and postgraduates at UK Universities.
Dr. Lena Morrish
Experience of supporting students in maths from basic to high level.
Unique formula to teach Maths in a simple language students can relate to, and once taught, apply by themselves.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Tact, patience and Diplomacy
• Good communication skills can explain clearly ideas breaking mathematical problems down
• Good motivator and give good clear examples
• Creative in approach and methods
At Home With Maths 01/2014 > present
Entrepreneurial family business | UK |
• Helping students who struggle with Maths to pass their Maths exams (Primary, SATS, GCSE, A levels)
• Creating and running online Maths forum for English and Russian speaking students
• Research and Development: improving my unique formula to teach Maths by implementing the up-to-date discoveries of psychology of learning Maths
• Customer liaison
• Managing a team of business associates
North Hertfordshire College 09/2014 > 05/2015
Maths course for students with autism and learning and emotional difficulties | UK |
• Teaching Maths to students with autism and learning and emotional difficulties
• Developing Maths teaching methods to students with autism and learning and emotional difficulties
Bridge To Success Company 06/2005 > 12/2013
Entrepreneurial family business | UK |
• Market research
• Customer liaison
• Managing and training a team of business associates
Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow 04/1996 > 09/2004
School of Mechanical Engineering at University of Huddersfield | UK |
• Managed gear research projects that acquired funding from EPSRC, DTI, industrial collaborators/sponsors & managing finances
• The project was awarded ‘outstanding’ and higher marks (including 'world leading' for the research results).
• Teaching Applied Maths, Dynamics, Gear Transmissions (gear geometry and dynamics) to undergraduates and postgraduates (planning and preparing course materials, setting and marking course assignments, tests and exams, providing personal tuition and support to students with problems, supervising student’s practical work)
Research Assistant 03/1993 > 04/1996
Department of Mechanical Engineering at Swansea and Edinburgh Universities | UK |
• Created a computer simulation for a Rubber Tyred Gantry (RTG) crane dynamics.
• Studied the RTG geometry to build a more representative geometrical model.
• Developed a control strategy for RTG based on Fuzzy Logic methods.
• Built a simulation of a basic RTG performance/how it works using the ADAMS computer.
• Teaching Computing to undergraduates (planning and preparing course materials, setting and marking course assignments, providing personal tuition and support to students with problems, supervising student’s practical work)
Systems analyst 09/1992 > -10/1992
European Media Venture Ltd., London | UK |
Computer specialist 06/1992 – 07/1992
‘TELINFO’, Subsidiary of Info-services International, Inc. USA | Russia |
Teacher of Math and English 01/1991 > 06/1992
Schools in Russia (12+), privately (children and adults)
Computer specialist 08/1990 > 01/1991
Joint Venture USSR-USA "Dialogue" | Russia |
Systems manager 06/1989 > 08/1990
Computing Centre of the Institute of Theoretical Astronomy (Academy of Sciences, Russia)
Engineer/Researcher 08/1982 > 06/1989
Lenin Research Institute | Russia |
Child counselling Centre of Excellence, online, diploma with distinction 2019
Mindfulness Centre of Excellence, online, diploma with distinction 2018
PTLLS North Hertfordshire College, UK, completed in July 2013
Math and English
GCSE (a-c) “level 2” North Hertfordshire College, UK, completed in May 2013
Business courses Attended a series of business related courses on teaching and communication styles and methods, 2005-2010
PhD Ph. D. from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Swansea/Edinburgh University, UK, June 1996
MA Electrical Engineering St. Petersburg Electrotechnical Institute, Russia, 1982
School No 373 St. Petersburg, Russia A-level equivalent in Math, Physics. B-level equivalent in Russian, German, Russian Literature, History, 1977
School No 75 St. Petersburg, Russia - GCSE equivalent, 1975
In my spare time, I enjoy listening to music (classical and occasionally pop/rock/country/jazz), reading, singing, watching TV (sports, classical concerts, films, arts) and spending time with my social media friends. Occasionally, I do some sports (gym, table tennis, running are my favourites). I am bilingual (Russian, English) and I can speak limited German. Last but not least: I am spending a lot of my free time reading books on self-development and (educational) psychology .
Available on request
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|