I am a recent university music graduate, specialising in degree level, A-Level, and GCSE tuition. I have a particular specialism in aiding prospective Oxbridge music applicants. Lessons follow a meticulously planned structure, from an introduction to music as an academic discipline at university, to how to achieve a first class mark in musical thought, analysis, and critique. Each session will focus on a particular discipline that students will likely encounter at university, and how best to prepare for them. This includes theoretical approach, suggested reading, as well as lateral thinking outside of the subject area. A similar path is followed for both A-Level and GCSE level music study. As a tutor, I utilise a friendly and compatible approach to my students; I will always cater for the specific individual that I teach, meaning that their interests and passions are the focus of the sessions, as well as how to link these to less familiar topics. Music is not only a social phenomenon, but a highly personal one! This means that tutoring sessions will prioritise the individual being taught, and how to advance their academic perception of music.
For trumpet tuition, I focus on medium-level players (Grades 4+) and aim to enhance their professionalism of playing technique through well-established methods, such as the Arban. I will help students with their grading pieces as well as how to tackle the aural and scales tests.
I am an Oxford Music graduate who gained a first class degree in 2019, and now work for an Education Consultancy that specialises in Oxbridge preparation. I have been tutoring for one year, providing one-to-one sessions on music within an academic context. I aim to provide my students with the requisite knowledge to begin studying music within an analytical, historical, and theoretical context, particularly up to the standard of Oxbridge students. Additionally I assist prospective music students with interview practice and assistance, with 100% of my Oxbridge student applicants having received an invitation to interview. Graduating last year with a first class mark means that I have the relevant knowledge and experience to guide students into the current Oxbridge music system.
I also offer lessons for the trumpet, for which I am Grade 8+ standard and have over 16 years of playing experience. At youth level, I have played with the National Youth Music Theatre, National Youth Wind Orchestra, and the LSO Next Generation Orchestra. I have been the principal trumpet at the Kent County Youth Orchestra, and well as the majority of ensembles at the University of Oxford, including the Oxford University Orchestra, Oxford University Jazz Orchestra, and the Oxford Brass Quintet.
Prices of lessons may increase depending on location and travel costs.
Lessons cannot be refunded if cancelled within 24 hours before the lesson takes place.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
2016-2019: University of Oxford, BA Music:
• Music Preliminary Examination (1st Year) – Achieved Distinction
• Music Final Honours School (2nd and 3rd Years) – Achieved 1st
2009-2016: Bexley Grammar School, South East London:
• A-levels: Music (A), History (A), Biology (A), Maths (A)
• GCSEs: Maths (A*), English Literature (A*), English Language (A*), Biology (A*), Physics (A*), History (A*), Music (A*), Drama (A*), Religious Studies (A*), Italian (A*), French (A*), Chemistry (A)
July 2019 – Present: Graduate Executive at Oxbridge Applications
As part of this rotating role I have so far completed a seat in the Programmes team, administrating and delivering mentoring services to high profile clients in an efficient manner. I successfully ensured the completion of the company's annual personal statement drive, where I co-ordinated the marking of 150 student statements amongst office staff as well as former admissions tutors.
Sept 2014 – July 2016 Greenwich Youth Band Music Apprentice
A practical based work experience job assisting young musicians learn wind band repertoire and successfully advancing their progression of musicality and group coherence. Being able to interact with younger children meant I effectively adapted teaching styles in order to encourage instrumental improvement. I would also conduct the orchestra a few times a term showcasing my team working skills and leadership abilities in preparation for delivering key end-of-term concerts.
Oct 2013 – Feb 2014 Southbank Sinfonia Work Experience
Working with the orchestral manager I successfully marketed the orchestra’s concerts and raised concert attendance through tactical advertisement distributions. Furthermore, I helped cut orchestra expenditure and found reliable alternatives for concert provisions (such as food and drink), as well as flyer and music printing costs, keeping track of finances with my Microsoft Excel experience.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- DofE Bronze Award, 2014
- Treasurer of the Oxford University Jazz Orchestra
- Secretary of the University of Oxford Hip Hop Society
- Oxford University Orchestra Instrumental ‘Fixer’
- Music and Maths Prefect at Bexley Grammar School
- Musical Director of a London jazz band
- Confident in all Microsoft Office packages
- Experienced in social media analytics (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Google)
- Extremely quick learner with new software, as demonstrated in my current role with mentoring portals, such as Salesforce, Tutor Cruncher, Calendly etc.
- Trumpet Grades 1-8 and Piano Grades 1-6
- Past member of the National Youth Wind Orchestra, National Youth Music Theatre,
- Attended Junior Guildhall School of Music and Drama every Saturday for three years
- Past member of the London Symphony Orchestra Next Generation for four years
- London Symphony Orchestra Young Orchestra in the 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musical education lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||£30|
|5 hours||Not available||£175||£150|
|10 hours||Not available||£350||£300|