Bonjour! I graduated from Oxford in 2016 with a First-class degree in French & Linguistics, and am willing and eager to offer help to students of French from school age up to and including undergraduate level; I am also able to tutor students ab initio, introducing them to a language they've never studied before. Depending on individual requirements, I can drill grammar from the present tense of avoir to the imperfect subjunctive of zézayer, brush up basic vocabulary and structures, or simply offer an attentive ear for informal conversation with gentle correction.
Quoted travel costs are based on the lesson taking place in central Cardiff; small extra charges may be necessary to cover greater distances.
I met George when he was teaching in my school and would have loved him to teach my own children! His instinct for translation, linguistic skills and sense of humour make him a Superprof without the shadow of a doubt. Sophie, Head of French.
French is to George what the electric guitar was to Hendrix. His ability to pick out the most elegant notes of the language -
in both debate and written prose - so effortlessly was the source of some envy for his Oxford peers.
Contrary to Hendrix, however, George's command of French is allied with consummate professionalism and rigour. Any student could rest assured that no obscure syntactical stone would be left unturned; with George as your drill sergeant you will make a mockery of any upcoming exam.
All this with a gentle, respectful manner and a passion for imparting knowledge! I struggle to see how other tutors could compete. Good luck!
-- envious Oxford peer
George is an incredibly knowledgeable person with an amazing breadth and depth of understanding about French language and culture. He's a very understanding teacher who will open your eyes to elements of French culture and literature that you might never have considered. Highly recommend!
I graduated from Keble College, Oxford, in 2016 with First-class honours in French & Linguistics, and then completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Education the next year, training in two state comprehensive schools in Oxfordshire before teaching for a term at Repton, a public school in Derbyshire. As I undertake a part-time Master's degree in Translation Studies, I look forward to applying this experience to the one-on-one teaching environment I have long sought, and to continuing to open up the beauties of the French language.
2018-2020: MA Translation Studies, Open University
2016-2017: Postgraduate Certificate in Education, University of Oxford
2012-2016: BA French & Linguistics, Keble College, University of Oxford
• Final Honours School: First Class Honours
• Preliminary Examinations: Double Distinction
2005-2012: Barry Comprehensive School, Vale of Glamorgan
• A-levels: French A*, History A, Politics A
• AS-levels: Mathematics A, Critical Thinking A
• GCSEs: 10 A*, 3 A, including A* in English, Mathematics and Science
2017: Teacher of French & Chapel Sacristan, Repton School, Repton, Derbyshire
• Taught pupils aged 13-18
• Delivered the Cambridge IGCSE and Edexcel A-level syllabuses
• Had responsibility for helping the School Chaplain organise four services a week in Chapel
2017: French & Spanish Teaching Intern, King Alfred’s Academy, Wantage, Oxfordshire (PGCE placement)
• Assumed sole charge of six classes of pupils aged 11-16
2016-2017: French Teaching Intern, Saint Birinus’ School, Didcot, Oxfordshire (PGCE placement)
• In tandem with theoretical tuition at Oxford, trained in the teaching of French
• Assumed sole or joint control of six classes of pupils aged 12-18
2014-2015: English Language Assistant, Lycée Jean-Antoine Chaptal, Quimper, France (British Council)
• Regularly had sole charge of classes averaging 15 pupils aged 15-18
• Worked with another assistant to offer an intense one-week oral practice course at Lycée Auguste Brizeux, Quimper
2011-2012: Helper, SEN Department, Barry Comprehensive School (part-time volunteering)
• Assisted SEN teachers in English and Mathematics classes in various roles as required throughout the year
• Worked with pupils with reading difﬁculties under the Catch Up Literacy programme
2011: Help Lanka School Volunteer, Lumbini College, Gampaha, Sri Lanka (two-week charity placement)
• Worked with peers and Sri Lankan colleagues to help teach English
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY & AWARDS
2013-2016: Chapel Warden, Keble College Chapel
• Part of a team responsible for helping the College Chaplain organise and run services six days a week in Chapel
2014: Philpotts-Shawcross Prize in Church History or Philosophy of Religion
• “The Papal encyclical Humani generis and the origin of Language: Language and the Soul”
2013: College Prize for the best Keble result in the Preliminary Examinations in Modern Languages and Joint Schools
french lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking written comprehension -french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£41||£28|
|5 hours||Not available||£195||£140|
|10 hours||Not available||£360||£280|