I am a proficient teacher with a PhD, educated at Cambridge and Oxford. I have experience teaching the following fields over five years:
- Music theory
- Musical analysis
- Critical theory
I like to get to know each student and understand their level of ability and learning objectives. This allows me to create a tailored training programme.
While theoretical models are useful tools, I like to use these as pedagogical foundations. I encourage my students to find their own expressive voice, whether in playing, writing or thinking style.
Most importantly, I want my students to cultivate an interest in their learning. If they have a particular area of interest, I try to get them to explore that field further and develop a passion.
I have taught private students since 2012 in both London and Germany, spanning the ages of 11 to 35. These private lessons have covered Latin, French, English and music. Since 2015, I have taught academic undergraduate classes at Oxford, covering musical analysis, musicology, music theory and critical theory.
My private students have achieved high marks in independent school admission exams in French, English literature and Latin. The undergraduate courses I covered received an 100% success rate, with all students receiving 1sts and 2.1s.
DPhil in Music (Merton College, University of Oxford): 2014-2017. Submitted, awaiting defence.
- Clarendon Scholar
- Merton College Music Award holder
MSt in Music (Trinity College, University of Oxford): 2013-2017. Distinction.
Studies in Viola da Gamba (Trinity College, London; Hochschule für Künste, Bremen): 2011-2013.
BA Hons. in Music (Jesus College, University of Cambridge): 2008-2011. 2.1.
- Choral Scholar
Faculty of Music, University of Oxford: 2014-2017. Bate Consort Ensemble Tutor.
- Tutored musical ensemble, leading group in rehearsals and concerts.
- Gave individual lessons in viola da gamba.
St Hugh's and Exeter Colleges, University of Oxford: 2015-2017. College Tutor.
- Tutored undergraduates in musical courses covering historical and analytical topics from from 1400-1800.
- Gave critical feedback verbally and in written form to students and organising tutors.
- Assessed and provided feedback on student presentations.
Private tutoring: 2012-2017.
- Tutored students individually and in groups. Available online, at in-house visits and in public locations (cafés, libraries, etc).
- Covered topics from English, French, Latin, music theory, musicology to academic proofreading.
- Provided critical feedback verbally, and via tracked comments systems or written reports.
piano lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, music theory lessons for all!
Taking musical education lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£56||£25|
|5 hours||Not available||£260||£125|
|10 hours||Not available||£510||£250|