I'm an enthusiastic 21 year-old university student at Oxford University, looking to give lessons in English and History from Key Stage 2 level (year 3) up to A-level. I have extensive tutoring experience over the past 7 years. I am currently on track to receive a 1st at university and at A-level achieved an A* in English Literature, an A in History and an A in Music. I advocate discussion and debate with analysis of literature, encouraging the student to form alternative and personal interpretations to get under the skin of the text. I think talking about the subject is one of the effective ways to elicit nuanced analysis of the subject material and to form original responses to essay questions. I am open to suggestion by the student themselves concerning the direction of the lessons and will shape the lessons around each student's needs. Any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.
I have been giving lessons since I was 13 years old working as an 11+ tutor with a 100% success rate, teaching a group of 5 ten-to-eleven year olds for four years. I have also tutored pupils for the full 2 years of their GCSEs, leading them to achieve all As and Bs. In 2017 I achieved a Quaker Youth Work Recognition Award and a Facilitation and Leadership qualification for facilitation of children's discussion groups and clerking youth groups- often involving organising creative activities and sparking discussion. I am dedicated and passionate about helping my students to succeed and always love learning as much from them as they do from me.
I am a 21 year old history and politics student at Oxford University. The courses I teach are English Literature and Language and History, both from Key Stage 2 (year 3) up to A-level. My teaching method is founded on a love of discussion and debate in conjunction with ensuring my students have a wealth of knowledge about their subject and are able to express themselves eloquently and cohesively in their essays. I believe the student should have a say in how their lessons are structured planned around what aspects they need to improve on. My goal is to inspire original ways of thinking about English Literature and History.
I am a determined and hard-working individual with a wide variety of experience working in hospitality, youth work, the performing arts and education. I am personable and high-energy, and greatly enjoy working and collaborating with others. At university, I have maintained a strong work-ethic, achieving a 1st overall this year, and am currently looking for a creative and people-focused role that both would challenge and stimulate me. Throughout my previous occupations, I have always focused on developing strong relationships with those around me and go out of my way to support others, earning a Quaker Youth Work Recognition Award as a result. I have had experience working in an environment where making intuitive decisions was crucial whilst acting as a pastoral support for groups of around one-hundred young people at youth events, and have also honed my organisational and management skills through a Facilitation and Leadership qualification. I am passionate about pursuing a career working with young people and am excited to take the next step.
2013 Private Tutor Self-employed
- Independently set up my own tutoring group when I was thirteen where I taught english, maths, verbal and non-verbal reasoning to classes of 10 and 11 year olds in preparation for the 11+ exam.
- Created lesson plans, teaching materials and homework and provided extra support to some students outside of lesson time either over skype or face-to-face.
- Supported students with a wide range in abilities and backgrounds over the course of several years, and continued to offer them educational support after they had left my class.
- Went on to have 100% of my students pass their 11+ exams and attend their 1st choice secondary school.
2015 Quaker Youth Worker Friends House
- Worked on several small committees of between five and ten young people on several Quaker Youth Events, organising events ranging in size from the central national Quaker Youth event of the year (Junior Yearly Meeting, 100 participants), to regional weeklong events (Senior Conference, 80 participants), to local youth initiatives (Junior Young Friends 30 participants).
- Provided pastoral support to young people aged 15-18, running support groups, acting as an onsite councillor and problem-solving when issues arose.
- Became involved in the writing of epistles and the development of various Quaker publications and exhibitions, for example, showcasing ‘This Light That Pushes Me’, a Quaker led peace-building initiative in Rwanda, at my college, and writing regular articles for London publications.
- Organised social activities alongside clerking meetings and facilitating both informal and formal discussion groups.
2017 Waitressing and Hospitality Various
- Worked in hospitality for 1 year and 9 months, initially as a bartender at Brentford Football Club, then as a catering assistant at Pembroke Lodge, and finally as a waitress at Somerset House
- Acted as supervisor of the café at Somerset House on weekends, and often independently both opened and closed the café and the till on week days.
- My responsibilities included ordering and maintaining stock, providing excellent customer service, handling money, updating accounts, depositing cash, cleaning and maintaining the café, training new staff members and preparing food.
- Demonstrated the importance of hospitality and customer service by going the extra mile and maintaining a high standard when preparing food and serving drinks, and successfully resolving customer complaints when they arose.
- Helped with organising, setting up, hosting and facilitating events in galleries in Somerset House and for weddings and fundraiser events at Pembroke Lodge.
2019 King’s College London
Bachelor of Arts (B.A) – History and International Relations
Modules included: World History (1870s-2000s), History of the International System, Historical Skills, Sources and Approaches, International Relations Theory
Left at the end of the first year to attend Oxford as of October
2015 Twyford C of E High School
A-levels: English Literature A*, History A, Music A*
AS-levels: Music Technology A
2011 Arts Educational Schools London
GCSEs: A*s in English Literature, English Language, History, Music, Biology, French, Drama, Expressive Arts
A in Maths
She tutored my daughter ( age 11) and three of her schoolmates through the 11+ She prepared the lessons and delivered them every week for several months. She was patient, thorough and excellent at explaining all facets of the test. Three of the four children passed the 11+ and got into the school of their choice. She is highly intelligent.
Beth tutored me for 11+ a few years ago and the sessions were fun but also ultimately very useful, as she helped me to get into the selective private school I'm in now. She did the same for a few more of my friends. I always loved her lessons and learned a lot! If it weren't for her I don't think I would have passed my entrance exam!
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, 11+ school exam preparation lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|