Hello! I am Gianluca and I am an Italian Ph.D. student in Film and Television Production Techniques at the University of York. I am also a filmmaker who made two silent short films which have been screened in various International Film Festivals around the world. In 2016 I have been chosen as a Member of the Selection Committee of the Globe International Silent Film Festival held in the Michigan State University.
Before moving to York I studied Architectural Engineering at the Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata (BA+MA combined) and I worked as a private tutor teaching Math, Physics, English and History. I lived in Paris for 5 months for an Erasmus programme at the École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture Paris – La Villette. I also worked as a technology assistant and an administrative secretary for a concrete Association, in collaboration with the Italian Ministry of Employment. I taught Italian to Chinese students at the University of York.
My priority is helping students in gaining the knowledge and the confidence they need in order to succeed, finding their individual style of learning and developing an interest towards the topic. As a tutor I am enthusiastic and passionate. I can breakdown complicated concepts into simple ones and I am particularly good with students who suffer of anxiety around exams. I work with each student as an individual to build their knowledge and help them to get a deeper understanding of the topic. Once they have all the knowledge they need, I work together with them in finding the best way to pass the exam.
If I sound like I could be the right person to help, send me a message!
I started private tuition in 2004, and since then I have never stopped from teaching thanks to the enthusiasm that my students showed in participating to my classes. Over the years I have trained dozens of students in several subjects for different schools/faculties. Thanks to my support the students have been able to overcome the gaps and pass examinations that were vital to their academic career. Many of them have ended up loving the topic that we have deepened together and they have specialised through specific university studies.
• University of York, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Film Production Technology and Practice, 2012 – 2017.
Grants: Received a Departmental Bursary.
Title: The director’s method in contemporary visual effects film: influence of digital effects on film directing.
Modules attended: Digital Cinematography, Picture Finishing, Digital Production and Post-Production workflow, Audio Effects Design, Business of Production and Post-Production, Visual Effects Design, Directing and Advanced Production Methods.
Courses attended: Health and Safety on set.
• Università di Roma Tor Vergata, Architectural Engineering, BA and MA combined, 2004 – 2011.
Grants: Received annual Scholarship ADISU 2004 – 2009.
• École Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture Paris – La Villette, Architecture and Art, Erasmus exchange programme September 2006 – February 2007.
Grants: Received an Erasmus Scholarship.
• 2016, The Business of Film by The Open University – online course on Future Learn about the key business decisions in film productions. Mark 90/100.
• Italian Tutor (York), January 2017 – present, paid.
Private tutor for home tuition through Tutora.
• Private tutor (Rome), 2004 – 2012, paid.
Private tutor for home tuition in Art, English, History, Math, Physics.
• Whip Ma Whop Ma Film (York), November 2013 – present, unpaid.
Film production and editing. Marketing and crew management. Social network management. Administration.
• Atecap - Italian Concrete Association (Rome), January 2012 – July 2012, paid.
Technology assistant. Administrative secretary for the Italian project "Osservatorio sul calcestruzzo e sul calcestruzzo armato", in collaboration with the Italian Ministry of Employment. Training on concrete mix at the Unical laboratory of Settimello (Florence) and in various Italian concrete stations.
• Archidea s.r.l. (Rome), April 2011 – July 2011, paid.
Architectural surveying, reconstructions, project consulting, technical consulting, facility management.
As a Member of a Selection Committee
• 2017, Globe International Silent Film Festival, Michigan State University. Fiction category, 231 films.
• Villa Adriana, La Pianta del Centenario 1906 – 2006. Edizioni Centro Di, Firenze.
Collaboration with Prof. Arch. G.E. Cinque.
• L’Osservatorio diventa operativo. Article for In Concreto n. 104.
• Osservatorio sul calcestruzzo e sul calcestruzzo armato: un passo decisivo. Article for “In Concreto” n.105 (online).
• Osservatorio: intervista a due protagonisti dell’iniziativa. Article for “In Concreto” n. 105 (online).
Filmography and Roles
- Admission (2014): short film, no dialogue, drama – producer, writer, director, production designer, postproduction.
- Numeri (2013): short film, silent, drama – producer, director, production designer, actor, editor, postproduction.
• Il Barone (Rome), December 2011 – May 2012.
Actor in “Portami via” by Viviana De Simone. Murder mystery event.
• Senartica Theatre Association (Rome), October 2009 – December 2010.
Assistant director and actor as Gordon in “Key for Two” by John Chapman and Dave Freeman, directed by Mario Fazio. Theatrical laboratory with Anna Greggi focusing on Luigi Pirandello’s works.
• Italian: Mother tongue
• English: Fluent
• French: Good knowledge
Filmmaking, digital painting, collecting vinyl records, videogames, singing.
Archery, football, gym.
Driving License: International license (able to drive on both sides of the road). Due to expire on 16/07/2025.
References: available on request.
italian lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - italian lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - italian lessons for all!
Taking written expression - italian lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|