My top priority in teaching is to design lessons suited to each individual student.
If your focus is to improve your speaking, we can spend the majority of our time working on conversation practice, fine-tuning any grammar points and use of vocab, pronunciation etc. If you are preparing for an exam such as the JLPT, I can build a course with built-in assessments to help focus your studies and work on any points that might catching you out.
Essentially, whatever your learning aims and preferences, I will make them top priority! I am always open to feedback and aim to build an enjoyable, supportive learning environment in which you can learn Japanese through a variety of materials and techniques.
Whether you are looking for something intensive or to move at a more relaxed pace, I am more than happy to build a course that works for you.
Learning a language is an incredible way to broaden your horizons, and I would love to share all I can about Japanese language and culture with you!
I began learning Japanese in 2012, when I joined the University of Edinburgh's MA Japanese programme. During my degree, I studied abroad in Japan twice, including one year at Kwansei Gakuin University, and following graduation worked at a law firm in Osaka, operating in an almost purely Japanese language environment. The process of jobhunting and then working in Japan greatly improved my formal/business Japanese, and I attained J1 in the Business Japanese Test in 2017.
I started teaching Japanese as a private tutor in 2018, and love sharing my passion for the language with others, building personalised courses for each and every student. I have also previously taught English as a Foreign Language, and aim to attain a formal teaching qualification within 2020.
- MA Japanese: First Class with Honours and Distinction in Spoken Japanese (University of Edinburgh)
- Year Abroad: Japan and East Asian Research Programme (Kwansei Gakuin University, Japan)
- Summer Session in Japanese Language (Sophia University, Japan)
*Awards & Qualifications*
- Business Japanese Test (J1)
- 2nd place in Nikkei Telecom Japanese Speech Contest
- Award for Outstanding Performance in Japanese Language (Asian Studies, University of Edinburgh)
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (N1)
- Award for Hardest Working Student in Intermediate Japanese (Sophia University, Tokyo)
*Recent Employment History*
January 2020 – present & Jun 2018 – Mar 2019
- Japanese Language Tutor (Private)
Dec 2017 – Aug 2019
- International Projects Assistant (Edinburgh College)
Sep 2016 – Dec 2017
- Paralegal (Support Gyoseishoshi Law Firm)
Elly helped me learn Japanese before going on my 3 month exchange programme to Japan. She tutored me for 6 months which helped me be able to get by and converse using basic japanese.
Her way of teaching is very clear and straightforward and made me fall in love with the language.
I now carry on learning the language with her help.
japanese lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£20||£18|