I am a pro trombonist based in East London My musical tastes are mainly funk & soul along with jazz but I have an eclectic passion for music across the board and I hope that my diversity will attract you to invest in my abilities.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I can teach Jazz Trombone, Classical trombone, Jazz Trumpet, Classical trumpet, Pop trumpet/trombone, Tuba, Tenor Horn, Euphonium, Theory, Musicianship, Popular music Songwriting
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a BA Hons in Jazz along with Grade VIII Trombone and Grade V Theory. I also have 3 higher grade A-levels and 9 higher grade pass GCSEs
- How much do you charge?
I charge first lessons at a 25% discount rate. Group lessons of 2+ are rated at £10 per pupil. Any lessons outside of the London general area are subject to an extra charge to cover transport.
- Where do you teach?
I am willing to teach at both home or the pupil's home.
- When are you available?
I am available Monday evenings and Wednesday and Thursdays. (Weekends may sometimes be available, subject to gigs) I am available most holidays with the exception of Christmas week.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I am happy to teach all age groups. I teach trombone up to Grade VIII, Beginner to Intermediate Trumpet, Tenor Horn, Cornet, Euphonium and Tuba. I also teach Beginner Saxophone and beginner to intermediate composition
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
I am willing to enter pupils for ABRSM exams should they wish, and also the Trinity Grade exams
- Do you have a personal message for students?
I offer a friendly, relaxed and encouraging environment for my pupils to learn in. I like to make sure that pupils are inspired to do practice as music should be fun!
I have been gigging professionally and tutoring since 2011. I have worked on with Salut band ltd, Soul Brothers band Chicago Blues Brothers show.
I have valid DBS and I am on the update sevice
I studied at Leeds Conservatoire.
Reliable and enthusiastic in the teaching environment. Adaptable to different ages. Encouraging in with a positive attitude towards pupils. Flexible to working with pupils’ different levels and skill potentials. Relaxed and calm with ability to weigh up situations logically. Emotionally mature with sensitivity to pupils’ needs.
• Effective communication in face to face, telephone, letter and Email
• Organisation skills from managing rehearsals and concerts
• Effective leadership skills through artist management
• A proactive attitude to team work
• Good planning skills with the ability to work towards deadlines
• Adequate use of IT equipment (MS word, Sibelius, Cubase)
• Ability to maintain records and reports
• Professional standard trombone (Grade VIII, Grade V theory)
• Ability to read all clefs
• Good transposition skills
• Rudimentary keyboard skills
Peripatetic music teacher
September 2019 – Current. Self employed Lister Music Cluster/Music Education Islington
Teaching and developing skills in instrumental technique, Music theory, ensemble performance and general musicianship. Developing pupils’ self and peer assessment. Leading pupils through performance scenarios both publicly and (through covid 19) Virtually.
September 2017- current. Self employed Langdon Academy
Teaching and developing students’ skills in tone, flexibility, reading, aural and improvisation. Developing musical language for both performance and composition up to GCSE level.
Supporting students with both GCSE and ABRSM exam work.
September 2016-Current Every Child a Musician
Encouraging pupils to develop aural, reading and technical skills on their chosen instruments.
Preparing pupils for PAG assessments step 1,2 and grade 1.
Leading and assisting the various ECaM music ensembles including the ESOC orchestra, Brass band and Wind band.
Preparing solo and ensemble music for pupils to learn and perform.
Ensuring the safety of pupils both at school and at public events attended by ECaM.
February 2013- March 2014 Self Employed
• Showing pupils how to perform technical exercises including range and stamina building, breathing and tonguing.
• Introducing a wide variety of musical styles and genres to pupils to facilitate a broad learning experience
• Helping pupils develop reading and aural skills including harmony, rhythmic and improvised skills
August 2011- Self Employed (associated with CBB Entertainment, Salut London ltd, Avenue 54, Shadows of Motown)
• Good sight reading ability
• Skills in technique and musicality training
• Able to adapt and improvise on the spot
• Able to learn things quickly by ear
• Good at working in an ensemble situation
1st August 2011- 22nd August 2014 (associated with Ultimate Soul Capacity, Candessence)
• Good customer relations from dealing with clients for weddings and corporate events
• Management skills in organising groups of staff for rehearsals and events
• Managing organisation and logistics for artist equipment
• Time keeping skills with arranging music for certain dates and measuring set times
• Good interpersonal skills from interacting with the public from stage
• Good diplomacy and listening skills from addressing both client and artist needs
September 2010- October 2013 Horsforth Music Centre
• Organising and arranging equipment
• Assisting clients with general issues
• Assisting with sales in Music Centre shop
• Assisting with administrative problems
• Acting as substitute for absent teachers in one to one and group situations
• Maintain good relations between staff and pupils
July 2009-November 2010 Verve Bar Leeds
• High level of customer contact with a need for patience and positive and friendly attitude required
• Worked well under pressure, including handling difficult customers
• Good diplomacy skills acquired from dealing with customer complaints
• Maintained stock replenishment
• Responsible for keeping bar clean and hygienic
Education & Qualifications
2007 - 2010
Leeds College of Music
BA (Hons) Jazz 2:2. The study of the music industry, teaching skills and academic writing was also included.
A levels in Music, Music Production and Film studies.
AS level in Business Studies
Eggar’s secondary school
9 higher grade GCSEs in Maths (B), Double Science (B, B), English Literature (C), English Language (C), History (C), Music (A), Product Design (C) and ICT (C)
Working for charity concerts
Participating in sponsored swims
Participated in sponsored bike rides
-References available on request-
A lovely guy who genuinely cares about what he does and how well it's done. I toured with Chris for several years, he's a first-rate musician whose heart is absolutely in what he does and I'm sure anyone learning from him will benefit from his knowledge and energy.
I have worked with Chris on and off for over 9 years with my theatre production. Chris is the ultimate professional, clear and concise in his work. Chris is also a very nice guy, easy to work with and fits in well which always helps in a tight knit team. a great musician and all round good guy.
Chris is an extremely professional and highly talented musician/tutor. I thoroughly recommend Chris for music teaching.
Chris is an excellent tutor. He is patient and has a good knowledge about brass instruments. He will build confidence in performing and takes the time to tailor his lessons personalised to you.
trumpet lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest trombone lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, euphonium lessons for all!
Taking cornet lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|