Interactivity and students' involvement are at the core of my teaching. My focus is on the creation of original learning activities.
I have always believed in teaching Italian language and culture in a more dynamic and informal way.
In Italy, I taught elocution classes and theatre for students of all ages. At Reading, I founded the 'Italian Theatrical Group' within the Department of Modern Languages to improve students' linguistic fluency and knowledge. I find extremely useful recording scripts and rehearsals to give students feedback as well as to encourage their creativity and self-correction.
My lessons are specifically tailored on students' needs, individual or groups, children or adults.
Thanks to my theatrical experience, my lessons for CHILDREN will include the use of 'puppets' and other activities to be decided time by time, according to the topic and tutees' needs.
For ADULTS: As well as standard lessons, I also offer to translate/proof-read Cv, COVER LETTERS, AND ANY OTHER DOCUMENT, CERTIFICATE OR CREATIVE WORK.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PRICE AND OFFERS, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Please do note that I can travel to your place BUT there is an additional cost, which will be decided together according to time and locations.
I teach Italian language for a language school, I have taught at University level (in Italy and UK).
Native speakers are not necessarily good teachers. Cheap teachers are not always good. If you are sick, you want to be seen by the best doctors, don't you? Well, it's the same for learning a language: you need a good teacher, not an improvised one (and there are too many out there bragging about teaching Italian for decades).
PLEASE DO NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
1. I offer discounted rates for groups (DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK).
2. There is a CHARGE for travelling and parking, depending on where you leave and peak times.
2017 Ph.D. in Italian Studies, University of Reading. Thesis Title: ‘Isabella Andreini spirituale, morale e boschereccia nelle Rime del 1601: A (Dis)close(d) Reading’.
2010 Master in Filologia Moderna, University of Salerno.
2008 Laurea triennale in Discipline Letterarie, University of Salerno.
2017‒present Member of the research project and digital archive ‘ARCHILET’, led by Clizia Carminati, Paolo Procaccioli, Emilio Russo. My contribution concerns the reconstruction of the epistolary exchange by Isabella Andreini.
2013‒present Member of the research projects, University of Seville.
• Escritoras y Escrituras. The project led by Mercedes Arriaga Floréz aims at promoting scientific research on cultural studies, peripheral writings, gender studies and semiotics.
• AUSENCIAS. Escritoras italianas inéditas en la Querella de las Mujeres. The three‒year research project (FEM2015‒70182‒P), started in 2015 and led by Mercedes Arriaga Floréz, is funded by Spanish Ministry of Innovation and Science.
2012‒2013 Member of research projects, University of Chieti ‘G. D’Annunzio’ (position left to pursue a Ph.D. in Italian Studies at Reading)
• Le riviste letterarie italiane dell’Otto‒Novecento. Indici e problemi. The project led by Vito Rocco Moretti was funded by University of Chieti ‘G. D’Annunzio’ aimed at creating an index and a catalogue of some nineteenth‒ and twentieth‒century literary journals.
• Storia della critica letteraria italiana tra 1800 e 1900. The project, led by Vito Rocco Moretti, surveyed methods and exponents of Italian criticism.
2017‒present Language Teacher, Language Link Up School, Reading. I teach Italian Language as foreign language to children and adults (one‒to‒one tuition or small groups).
2014‒2017 Sessional Lecturer, University of Reading. I taught literary topics (such as Machiavelli’s The Prince and Renaissance Theatre) as well as Contemporary and Modern European History (from the French Revolution to the present day) and European Case Studies (such as Fascism and Feminism) for first‒year and final‒year undergraduate students.
2010‒2015 Leader of study sessions as ‘Cultore della materia’ (subject adviser) and Assistant of Federico Sanguineti, University of Salerno, for the following teaching subjects: Humanistic Literature, Italian Philology and Dante’s Philology and Criticism.
2010‒2011 Leader of study sessions promoted by Vito Rocco Moretti, University of Chieti ‘G. D’Annunzio’. I taught on D’Annunzio, Decadentism and late nineteenth and early twentieth century writers and cultural trends.
2003‒present As a member of the Cultural Society ‘Logopea’ (Avellino, Italy) run by Armando Saveriano, I have been teaching elocution classes and literature in partnership with local communities to students of all ages at school and to local people.
2016‒2017 Study Skills Adviser, University of Reading. I assisted undergraduate, master and PhD students in developing research skills, structuring essays and referencing, preparing for exams, literature reviews, bridging the gap between school and university, and, for our international students, understanding the British university system.
2016‒present Member of the advisory board of the series ‘Donne nella Storia. Riflessi d’inchiostro’ (Aracne editrice), led by Mercedes Arriaga Floréz and Antonella Cagnolati.
2016-present Member of the literary society ‘Premio Nazionale Elio Pagliarani. Centro Studi e Biblioteca della Poesia Contemporanea’.
2013‒present Member of the editorial board of the online international journal ‘Culturas y literaturas’ of the research group ‘Escritoras y Escrituras’, led by Mercedes Arriaga Floréz.
• Isabella Andreini spirituale, morale e boschereccia nelle Rime del 1601: A (Dis)close(d) Reading (Rome: Aracne, forthcoming Spring 2019), pp. 270.
• Isabella Andreini, Rime, introd. e notes by S. Santosuosso, trans. in Spanish by Mercedes Arriaga (Seville: ArCiBel Editores, forthcoming March 2019), pp. 400.
• Per un nuovo regesto dei codici. Inferno, monograph in preparation for the Società Dantesca Italiana (submission by the end of 2019).
• «Songs from the Spirit»: The Tradition of Spiritual Verses in Renaissance Italy, conference proceedings of the RSA meeting, 31March‒2April, Boston, ed. by S. Santosuosso, monographic section of Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa. Classe di Lettere e Filosofia, 1 (2018), pp. 110.
• Genealogìas. Rewriting the Canon: Female Writing in XVI-XVII Century Italy, ed. by S. Santosuosso (Seville: ArCiBel Editores, in press, October 2018), pp. 298.
Chapters in edited volumes:
• ‘Introduzione’, in «Songs from the Spirit»: The Tradition of Spiritual Verses in Renaissance Italy, conference proceedings of the RSA meeting, 31March‒2April, Boston, ed. by S. Santosuosso, Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa. Classe di Lettere e Filosofia, 1 (2018), 3-7.
• ‘I sonetti spirituali di Isabella Andreini: lessico, temi e fonti’, in «Songs from the Spirit»: The Tradition of Spiritual Verses in Renaissance Italy, conference proceedings of the RSA meeting, 31March‒2April, Boston, ed. by S. Santosuosso, Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa. Classe di Lettere e Filosofia, 1 (2018), 67-87.
• ‘Premessa’, in Genealogìas. Rewriting the Canon: Female Writing in XVI-XVII Century Italy, ed. by S. Santosuosso (Seville: ArCiBel Editores, in press, October 2018), 7‒13.
• ‘«L’ardimento filiale: celeste precetto d’onorar la madre»: La continuità familiare da Isabella a Giovan Battista Andreini’, in Genealogìas. Rewriting the Canon: Female Writing in XVI-XVII Century Italy, ed. by S. Santosuosso (Seville: ArCiBel Editores, in press, October 2018), 175-191.
• ‘«Riscrivendo la poesia patriarcale». Il mito di Ero e Leandro in Bernardino Baldi e Isabella Andreini’, in Escritoras en los márgenes del texto, ed. by M. M. Clavijo, D. Cerrato, E. M. M. Lago, M. B. Capel (Seville: Benilde Ediciones, 2017), 220‒234.
• ‘Fra lettere e Lettere: l’epistolario reale e ‘immaginario’ di Isabella Andreini’ (in preparation for Edizioni di ArchiLet, a cura di Clizia Carminati, June 2019).
• ‘Per un’edizione commentata delle Rime di Isabella Andreini’, in preparation for Lingua e Stile, 1 (2019), pp. 10.
• ‘La ridefinizione dei linguaggi: fra performatività e autorialità. Una conversazione con Rosaria Lo Russo’, The Italianist, 37, 1 (2017), 119‒132.
• ‘La Mirtilla di Isabella Andreini e Giovan Battista Marino’, Testo, 72 (2016), 143‒153.
• ‘Le egloghe boscherecce di Isabella Andreini nelle opere di Giovan Battista Marino’, Studi Secenteschi, 54 (2013), 49‒57.
• Elio Pagliarani, Epigrammi, selected and transl. into English by S. Santosuosso, introduction by Maria Galli Stampino, RossoCorpoLingua, 2 (September 2018), pp. 21-26.
• Elio Pagliarani, Epigrams. From Savonarola, Martin Luther, etcetera, transl., introd. and notes by S. Santosuosso, foreword by Maria Galli Stampino (Rome: dei Merangoli Editrice, forthcoming December 2018), pp. 110.
2018 Session: Multifaceted Women: Between Stage and Page, RSA, 22‒24 March, New Orleans.
2017 Four sessions: «Di tentar fama io mai non sarò stanca»: Women’s writings in Renaissance time, RSA, 30March‒1April, Chicago.
2016 Co‒organizer (with Maria Teresa Girardi) of three sessions: La poesia femminile del Cinque‒Seicento, AATI, 22‒27 June, Università Federico II and Università L’Orientale, Naples.
2016 Co‒organizer (with Paola Nasti) of two sessions: ‘Songs from the Spirit’: The Tradition of Spiritual Verses in Renaissance Italy, RSA, 31March‒2April, Boston.
2015 One‒day event funded by The Italianist Fund @ Reading, Society for Italian Studies (SIS) and University of Reading:
• Dante’s Comedy. The Living Text. University of Reading, 15 December.
2011 Secretary of the organizing committee for two national conferences organised by Vito Rocco Moretti:
• Pietro Di Donato e la letteratura dell’emigrazione (Chieti and Vasto, 3‒4 April, 2011)
• ‘La Fiaccola sotto il moggio’ di Gabriele d’Annunzio. Aspetti compositivi e di drammaturgia. (Chieti and Pescara, 28‒29 July, 2010).
2018 Genealogìas. Rewriting the Canon: Female Writing in XVI-XVII Century Italy, ed. by S. Santosuosso (Seville: ArCiBel Editores, in press October 2018), 13 November, Universidad de Sevilla.
2018 ‘Considerazioni premiliminari per un’edizione commentata delle opere di Isabella Andreini’, Voces Masculinas y Voces Femeninas en la Querelle des Femmes en Italy y Europa, XV congreso internacional, organized by the Grupo de investigación Escritoras y Escrituras, 12-14 November, Universidad de Sevilla.
2018 ‘Performing the Writing: Isabella Andreini’s zibaldone for the Scene’, in Multifaceted Women: Between Stage and Page, organized by myself, RSA, 22‒24 March, New Orleans.
2017 ‘«L’ardimento filiale: celeste precetto d’onorar la madre»: La continuità familiare da Isabella a Giovan Battista Andreini’, in Ausencias, XIV congreso internacional, organized by the Grupo de investigación Escritoras y Escrituras, 11‒13 December, Universidad de Sevilla.
2017 ‘Rewriting the ‘Canon’: Isabella Andreini and her influence on male counterparts’, in «Di tentar fama io mai non sarò stanca»: Women’s writings in Renaissance time, organized by myself, RSA, 30March‒1April, Chicago.
2016 ‘Riscrivendo la poesia patriarcale: il mito di Ero e Leandro in Bernardino Baldi e Isabella Andreini’, in Las periféricas. Escritoras en los márgenes del canon literario, XIII congreso internacional, organized by the Grupo de investigación Escritoras y Escrituras, 12‒14 December, Universidad de Sevilla.
2016 ‘La Mirtilla di Isabella Andreini e G. B. Marino a Napoli: ipotesi di un incontro e relazioni intertestuali (con una nota su V. Colonna e G. Carducci)’, in La poesia femminile del Cinque‒Seicento, co‒organized with Maria Teresa Girardi, AATI, 22‒27 June, Università Federico II and Università L’Orientale, Naples.
2016 ‘Isabella Andreini. A Woman in the World of Academies’ in ‘Songs from the Spirit’: The Tradition of Spiritual Verses in Renaissance Italy, co‒organized with Paola Nasti, RSA, 31March‒2April, Boston.
2015 ‘I sonetti spirituali di Isabella Andreini: scelta del genere, fonti e novità’, in La poesia femminile del Cinquecento, organized by Maria Teresa Girardi, Congresso ADI, 9‒12 September, Sapienza‒Università di Roma.
2015 ‘Isabella Andreini’s Rime and the French Court: dedicatees, themes and themes’, in Friendship and Cultural Conversation in Early Modern Europe, organized by EMRC, 6‒8 July, University of Reading.
2015 ‘Isabella Andreini’s 1603 Rime and Henry IV of France’s Court: Structure, Themes and Social Relationships’, in Love, Evil and Poetry in the Renaissance, organized by CSIS, 19‒21 June, Sant’Anna Institute, Sorrento.
2015 ‘Isabella Andreini: A Woman in the World of Academies’, in Italian Academies, 1400‒1700: Proto‒Academies, Small Academies, Geographical Margins and Peripheries, organized by Simone Testa and Clizia Gurreri, RSA, 26‒28 March, Humboldt‒Universität, Berlin.
2017 Freelance translator (from English to Italian) for Netflix’s, Amazon’s, Google’s partners.
2014‒2017 Founder, Director, and Actor of the Italian Theatrical Group within DMLES at the University of Reading and supported by Italian Studies.
2002‒2004 Diploma in ‘Acting’ (‘Teatro d’Europa’, Avellino), artistic director Gianmarco Tognazzi.
2016 American Association of Italian Teachers (AATI) Travel Grant.
2015 University of Reading Led‒Event Bursary.
2015 The Italianist Event Fund.
2015 Society of Italian Studies Event Fund/Grant.
2015 Canadian Society for Italian Studies (CSIS) Travel Grant.
2015 University of Reading Graduate School Travel Grant.
2014 University of Reading Travel Grant.
2013‒2016 AHRC (Art and Humanities Research Council) studentship.
PRIZES AND AWARDS
2018 Bursary Istituto di Studi Rinascimentali (30 Nov-1Dec) for the workshop ‘Commentare le petrarchiste’. Paper title: Per un’edizione commentata delle Rime di Isabella Andreini (1562-1604).
2016 Sponsorship RSA (Chicago 2017) ‘Discipline Representative/Women and Gender’ for the panel «Di tentar fama io mai non sarò stanca»: Women’s Writings in Renaissance Time.
2016 Shortlisted finalist in the second edition of the national prize ‘Elio Pagliarani’ for the translation into English of E. Pagliarani, Epigrammi. Da Savonarola a Martin Lutero (Lecce: Manni, 2001).
2016 ‘Outstanding Contribution to Teaching Excellence Award’ as part of Italian Studies Department at Reading (a. a. 2015/2016).
2012 First prize in the national theatrical writing competition ‘L’inedito’.
2010 Second prize in the national prose competition ‘Lettera d’Amore’.
2007 First prize in the national poetry competition ‘Aspera’.
2007 First prize in the national poetry competition ‘Il nomade e le stelle’.
2005 First prize in the national poetry competition ‘Kriterion’.
2013‒present AATI (American Association of Teachers of Italian)
ADI (Associazione Dottorandi e Dottori di Ricerca Italiani)
AUDEM (Asociación Universitaria de Estudios de las Mujeres)
CSIS (Canadian Society for Italian Studies)
RSA (Renaissance Society of America)
SIS (Society for Italian Studies)
SSEMW (Society for the Study of Early Modern Women).
Italian (native speaker), English (advanced), Latin (advanced), French and Spanish (reading: good command).
amazing tutor, good sense of humour , learnt a lot from stefano
Stefano is passionate, reliable, punctual and professional.
My husband and I are both native Spanish speakers and found in Stefano the most reliable and innovative teacher we have ever had.
His use of technology made lessons fun and interesting. Never got bored.
Last summer we went to Italy on holiday, and for the first time we didn't feel lost and isolated.
Very good tutor, understands what the student needs to progress further. Has helped me and my friend pass our exams
italian lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - italian lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - italian lessons for all!
Taking written expression - italian lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|