I generally prefer 1:1 or small groups, as this allows me to ascertain the level and needs of an individual student. I want to discuss with the pupil what their goal is and we will make the best strategy to achieve this. We will go through the subject, building a firm foundation, and developing your knowledge so you can understand the more difficult tasks. If, however, you just want to go over specific topics, we can find a solution to areas you are finding challenging and focus on what you want.
Whilst I follow the National Curriculum and Board of Studies (you will provide me with which board you follow e.g. OCR vs AQA), I won't be reading off the textbook – you could do that yourself! I will try and engage with the textbook, student and real-life examples (where possible); learning should not just be reading. We will do practical examples and have discussions.
I am a PhD researcher at Cambridge University in Chemical Engineering, and I have a Masters and BSc (Hons).
I have also given private 1:1 tuition to GCSE students for Maths, Chemistry, English Literature; AS and A Level tuition support in Extended Project and Geology; supervised degree-level Natural Sciences/Geology students (1:1 and groups up to 40 people) and supported many students with their University applications from undergraduate to postgraduate for a range of Universities (including Oxbridge).
Previously, I have been employed by Explore Learning (Oxford) as a tutor, where I taught Maths, English and 11 Plus to children between the ages of 5-14 years. As part of their team, I received training in how to best support children with Special Educational Needs (SEN), and I strongly believe with the best support, every student will achieve their potential.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me – even if it's just for some advice!
- PhD Candidate researcher in Chemical Engineering, sponsored by industry (2018 - 2022)
- Masters by Research (MScR) in Geology and Petroleum Engineering, based in the Chemistry and Engineering Department. Predicted Merit.
- Geoscience BSc (Hons), 2:1
2012-2014: Certificate of Higher Education
• Geology of the British Isles: 2:1 (69%).
• Palaeontology and the History of Life Through Geological Time: 1st (92%).
• Mineralogy and Petrology: 1st (85%).
• Introducing Geological Science: 1st (83%).
Recent work (related to education):
2016 – ongoing: Demonstrating (tutoring and supervising) first to final-year undergraduates for the Earth Science and Chemistry Departments, Durham University. This included modules in Maths, Petrology, Geochemistry, Palaeontology, Sedimentary Environments, Petroleum Engineering and Geology (with a focus on structural).
2013 - 2015: Tutor - Explore Learning (Oxford). Tutored Mathematics, English and 11 Plus.
- December 2017: Awarded an iCASE Studentship with The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and BP (industrial partner)
- May 2017: The Stephen Mills Postgraduate Studentship: ‘Relating shale mineralogy and microstructure to swelling activity’
- October 2011: ‘The Gareth Evans Achievement Award’
- July 2011: ‘Youth Achievement Award’ (NAGC)
Tara is a conscientious and keen educator with years of high quality, professional tutoring under her belt. She is able to teach at all levels, and has done, being highly regarded in academia. It's a pleasure to know she'll be tutoring again. On a personal level she is warm, friendly and encouraging, just conversing is a pleasure.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, other sciences lessons for all!
Taking chemical engineering lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|