I am a dedicated and diligent teacher who endeavours to offer the best service possible by putting considerable thought, research and planning into my teaching practice.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
Improvisation (for all instruments)
Jazz Studies (for all instruments)
Academic music support (KS3, GCSE, A Level)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I am a music graduate of the University of Oxford where I achieved an overall grade of 2.i, scoring 1st class marks in Performance and Analysis modules.
During my degree, I was awarded the Denis Stevens Prize for my academic achievements and a Collections prize for exam success.
- How much do you charge?
Lesson prices are listed above. For longer sessions, I can offer a discount on this rate for each additional hour. I can also offer discounts for group lessons or lessons conducted through Skype.
I endeavour to give good value for money by spending considerable time preparing outside of teaching hours and providing extras, such as detailed and well-researched handouts. Where possible, I supply sheet music, recordings and backing tracks for free. I can also offer recordings of lessons for reference during practice time.
- Where do you teach?
I usually teach at the pupil's house although I also have teaching bases in Stokenchurch. I teach pupils from Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire.
- When are you available?
Daytimes and evenings all days of the week.
I am flexible with regards to scheduling - lessons can take place on a regular basis or more infrequently, as and when the student requires.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
Any age from beginners to advanced. No previous experience or musical ability required.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
Can offer exam preparation.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I conduct lessons online via Skype.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
Lessons can be as in depth or as casual as the pupil prefers. I can assist with exam preparation or teach those who want to learn just for fun.
I draw on the pedagogical approach of Paul Harris as well as the Suzuki and Kodaly musical education methods to deliver lessons that are practical, varied and ear-focussed. Pieces remain the core musical activity in my lessons and any technical exercises, such as scales, are only introduced in the context of actual music. Additionally, I emphasize the primacy of aural skills, teaching techniques with which to learn music by ear. Nevertheless, I can teach students how to read music, but I put less emphasis on this practice than traditional teaching methods. In contrast, I aim to free students from dependency upon notation.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have provided tuition for 8 years to pupils of school, university and adult age.
- I am also familiar with teaching groups having assisted with youth music development on behalf of the Berkshire Youth Jazz Orchestra and delivered musical analysis seminars in the classroom.
- My credits include having performed on saxophone with the Pendulum Jazz Orchestra, Peter King, Guy Barker, Don Weller, Clark Tracey, Mark Lockhart, Julian Siegel, Christian Garrick, Steve Waterman, Pete Churchill, Henry Lowther, Tina May, Nikki Illes, Mark Nightingale, Mornington Lockett, Mike Bradley, Laurence Cottle, Mick Quinn (of Supergrass), Oxford Operatic Society, the Alexander Hawkins quartet, the Paul Jordanous Big Band, The Brazilianos, The Admiral's Calypso Tent House Band, the Paul Jordanous sextet, the Anne Marie Nelson Quartet, Boulevard Swing, the Paul Jefferies trio, the Steve Smith duo Fabios Jazz, the Take Five jazz quintet, the Soul Purpose jazz sextet, the Donut Kings big band, Miles Ahead, Alamakota, and the Phat Sessions Collective.
- I have performed in the Royal Festival Hall and the Bulls Head jazz venue in London, Brecon Jazz Festival, Edinburgh Fringe Festival, Amsterdam Conservatoire's Blue Note, the Russian Tea Rooms and Bryant Park (both in New York City), and The New Theatre in Oxford.
- I also have experience playing and have taken examinations in Piano, Oboe, Drum kit, 'Cello, and Theory of Music.
Additionally, I have experience leading ensembles of chamber to big band size both independently and within institutional settings. As band leader, I have staged regular performances for my ensembles including single-handedly co-ordinating a performance tour to New York.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
I have studied with faculty members of the Manhattan School of Music and Amsterdam Conservatoire, and received one-on-one tuition from nationally-renowned jazz musicians and educators Patrick Kelly, Ben Castle, Stan Sulzmann and Mark Lockheart.
• BA (Oxon) Music
saxophone lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|