I base my classes on a student centred approach, finding different ways to approach the texts, writing styles, or exams. My lessons would be suited to beginning / emerging writers or GCSE/Alevel English students; I am also happy to offer dissertation/uni-support.
I am a poet and editor based in Thanet Kent offering literary tutoring, whether it be creative writing or exam prep. In my experience as an editor I have supported poets and creative writers in their journey to publication in magazines. I also have extensive experience in GCSE/ ALevel English.
Education & Qualifications
University of Chester – 2015-2018
- First Class English Literature with Politics BA
o Valedictorian Prize English Departmental Staff Prize. For ‘most notably contributing to the cultural life of the department.’
o Dissertation in Beat Literature, researching the importance of the Spontaneous Prose Method
Chatham & Clarendon Grammar Sixth Form College – 2012-2015
- English Literature A Level: B
- Philosophy and Ethics A Level: C
- Politics A Level: C
Charles Dickens Secondary School – 2008-2012
- Maths GCSE: C
- English Language GCSE: B
- English Literature GCSE: A
- Food Technology GCSE: A*
- French GCSE: C
- Religious Studies GCSE: B
- History GCSE: B
- OCR Computer Studies: Distinction
Chief Editor Foxtrot Uniform – 2017-present
- In 2017 I founded the poetry and art magazine Foxtrot Uniform. This involves running a small team of editors, liaising with the printers, building and running the website, networking with libraries and arts organizations to sell the magazine.
- I recently secured a listing at the National Poetry Library for Foxtrot Uniform.
- I am currently in the process of making an Arts Council Funding application to help fund the production of the magazine.
- In this role I also built a database of readers, have experience formatting the magazine and other publications on Microsoft Word and Publisher
Swimming Teacher: Making Waves Swim School – 2015-2018
- In this job I taught and organized lessons for children (3yrs-15yrs)
- In this role I was also in constant contact with customers, answering their questions and giving information about upcoming lessons.
Assistant Editor: Pandora’s Box (University Literary Magazine) – 2017-2018
- In this role I worked under the poet and lecturer, Dr Ian Seed, reading and choosing poetry and prose to be included in the end of year publication.
- In this role I was also in charge of organizing and hosting termly Open Mic nights and a publication launch night. This involved setting up the performance space, advertising the event, and compering the events.
- Writing and publishing
o I have been writing poetry seriously for around three years now, and have been published in some literary magazines
Foxtrot Uniform: ‘001’ and ‘002’
Pandora’s Box 2016 and 2018
2nd Annual Haiku for Change Event 2017 (Stanford University: 100,000 Poets for Change, 2017)
o I have been performing my poetry across the country for two years at small open mic nights and larger shows:
In March 2018 I was commissioned to perform at London’s Round House in their Rising Festival. This included a half hour show of poetry and discussion.
In February 2018 I was the support act for poet Mike Garry at Chester’s Live Lounge
In March 2018 I was a support act for the well-known poet John Hegley at Chester’s Live Lounge.
- I am an avid reader of many classic and upcoming authors. I enjoy experimental narratives and poetry best such as Jack Kerouac and Ocean Vuong. In my role as chief editor for Foxtrot Uniform I especially look for unpublished experimental writers who are doing something new and exciting in their chosen form.
I was friends and coursemates with Joshua at university. As far as I can tell he was the only person who knew what he was talking about.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|