My teaching method is based entirely around student needs. For children, I focus on making music fun and exciting while sneaking bits of theory and technique, all the while developing problem solving skills, confidence and resilience. Children learn at vastly different rates, and my philosophy is to provide a low-pressure environment where children can learn at their own pace and develop in their own way, as well as be further challenged when they excel.
For Adults, I work around the aspirations of the student, be it to learn as a hobby, prepare for a performance or advance your skills. I try where I can to teach skill, technique and theory through learning music, rather than doing exercises.
I am a musician and teacher, with professional experience in both since 2013. I Teach 1-1 at Chichester Music Academy and Portsmouth Music Academy as well as privately. I also play in bands for pubs, weddings and functions, as well as the odd festival. I also love to compose music, and I do so regularly for fun and occasionally professionally.
Cancelling outside of 24 hours is absolutely free, cancelling within 24 hours will result in the lesson being charged for. However I am flexible with this when it comes to accidents and emergencies.
Matthew Fearnley - Guitar Teacher
Passionate and energetic guitarist with a breadth of performance and tuition experience. Strong
communicator, with a focus on creative and tailored forms of learning with comprehensive feedback
and direction. Good time management and organisational skills.
• Professional music experience
• Musical theory proficiency
• Songwriting and composition experience across rock, pop, metal and classical.
• High level of understanding for guitar technique and musicianship skills
• Teaching experience across a range of ages, group sizes and institutions.
• DBS certified
• Member of ISM (covered with Public Liability Insurance).
• Safeguarding Training
Solent Infant School (23rd April 2019 – September 2020 – School ended my services due to Covid-19
measure to arrange classes in to bubbles and not allowing teachers who are not in that bubble to move
• Class teaching
• Behaviour management
• Working with young children to develop basic musical skills such as pulse, rhythm, dynamics,
basic understandings of pitch and harmony.
Portsmouth Music Academy (12th September 2018 – Present)
• Teaching 1-1 lessons in Guitar, bass and music theory
• Working with children towards concerts
Chichester Music Academy (1st April 2017 – Present)
• Teaching 1-1 lessons in Guitar, bass and music theory
• (Working with groups and bands of young people in workshops)
• Working with children towards concerts and exams
Sidlesham Primary school PPA cover (January 2017)
• Teaching class groups ranging from infant to primary.
• Covering a wide range of subjects within music, from aural perception to reading basic notation.
• Providing engaging activities such as clapping and listening exercises as well as performances.
Garden Music school (3rd October 2016 – 11th April 2019)
• Teaching 1-1 lessons in guitar, bass, and music theory.
• Helping students of a variety of ages and backgrounds with their goals, ranging from passing a grade
to auditioning for university or simply wanting to play along at home.
• Dealing with payments from students and cashing up at end of day.
Sussex Academy of Music (14th September 2016 – February 2017)
• Teaching 1-1 lessons in guitar.
• Many young students are complete beginners, and so lessons have to be fun, achievable and
• Focus on structured lessons, as students are mainly young, and need help to stay on task.
GB Music (September 2016 – September 2019)
• Providing live sound for local festivals/functions
• Stage planning/set up/sound checking bands
• Working with artists from all ages in a supportive role.
Sound Engineer at Vestry Open Mic Night (September 2016 – present)
• Setting up and running PA system for the Vestry Open Mic Night every Tuesday.
• Confident using a mixing desk.
• Lots of on-the-fly mixing to keep levels at the right place throughout the night to maintain high
quality of sound.
Private Guitar Tutor (August 2013 – Present)
• 1-1 teaching for students of all ages and abilities.
• Making professional learning materials for students.
• Tailoring lessons to the needs of the student by planning ahead, and teaching with the right
approach for that person.
Composition contracts August 2014 - May 2015 ('A City of Foxes'), February - May 2016 ('Six Ways to
Break a Bird')
• Contracted to compose 30-40 minutes of incidental music.
• Using music technology effectively
• Working proactively to deadlines, refining creative process to maximise quality.
Learn to Sing and Play Music School (September 2013 - March 2014)
• Teaching 1-1 lessons for guitar to students of a variety of ages.
• Wide range of subjects covered from technique to theory, from beginner to advanced.
• Teaching group lessons in schools.
Functions Musician (November 2012 - Present)
• Professional functions musician for multiple bands.
• Maintaining a large repertoire of music and performing it confidently in a variety of settings from
festivals and pubs to private functions and weddings.
• Logistics management: organising events, transportation for musical equipment.
• Playing in an ensemble effectively.
• Recording demos
Volunteer Teaching Assistant for Fernhill School and Language college (2011-12)
• Helping students with composition coursework, introducing them to new ideas for writing music and
• working and interacting effectively with KS3 and KS4 students.
Postgraduate (Master’s) course (September 2019 – Present)
• Specialising in Music Composition
• Exploring advanced theoretical and analytical techniques such as Schenkarian and NeoRiemannian theories.
• Learning to make music for videogames, including understanding basic coding and proficiency
with relevant audio middleware
BA(hons) Music (Upper 2:1) (2012-15 – University of Chichester)
• Specialism in Composition, studying classical composition (counterpoint, harmony, melody and
orchestration, as well as jazz harmony).
• Strong focus on musical theory and ear training, scoring first class marks in these areas.
• Personal focus on instrumental proficiency to actualise ideas that I have composed.
• Experienced with music technology, can use Logic, Cubase, have set up home studios for
• Confident in using music technology to fuel creativity, using drum and orchestral samples and
synthesis as well as mixing/mastering.
• Possess home studio
Music Tuition Learning Materials
• Ability to produce professional – quality teaching resources including transcriptions, technical
exercises and supporting materials that all feature tablature and standard notation.
• Music Composition – strong interest in progressive metal music.
• Making Youtube videos – semi-regularly writing, recording and editing videos.
• Local Music Scene – regularly playing at open mic nights and informal sessions with other local
musicians around west sussex.
• Other interests include cycling, caving and reading.
Available on request
Matt is a great teacher that tailors his approach and lessons to the individual student to maximise the learning experience. His lessons are always fun, varied and very productive. Really enjoy that you can pick songs you like and practice these instead of following a set teaching schedule.
Matthew (Matt) is very talented guitarist and musician with a deep understanding of music theory and guitar playing technique. He is also an experienced performer.
I am an intermediate (in my mind that is) guitarist striving to improve and Matt is very good at picking up on issues with technique and approach and looking for ways to address them constructively.
Matt teaches. His lessons are well structured and at times challenging...that works well for me.
Location and timing are convenient.
Matt is also a really nice guy.
Matt has been giving electric guitar lessons to my son (15) for a couple of years now. The amount that my son has learned in a relatively short time is amazing - particularly on the theory side as well which has been really useful for his music GCSE and general understanding of music. Matt is a great tutor and has built up a good rapport with my son. He is also willing to give advice on equipment and help with setup etc. Would definitely recommend!
music reading lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest guitar lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, acoustic guitar lessons for all!
Taking electric guitar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|