When teaching music theory, I love helping people approach and understand tricky tasks and concepts. I am very positive and constructive, with a focus on building up confidence to tackle problems and finding creative ways to look at problems which can often feel unintuitive! I like to set homework tasks and then talk through those tasks in the lesson, using my iPad to illustrate solutions in real time when doing online lessons. We can then talk through new concepts for the next week's homework for the remainder of the lesson.
When teaching composition, I love to broaden students' musical and creative horizons using listening, discussion, and experimentation. I often set listening as homework, and then like to discuss that in the lesson - what did we like or dislike about the music, what did we find exciting, what might we like to use in our own work, what might we do differently? We can also focus on writing music for a specific ensemble or context, scoring in Sibelius or by hand, or making electronic music (I have proficiency in Reaper, a free DAW). Teaching over Zoom, I like to use screen sharing to discuss scores and the students' work. I have broad knowledge of different compositional styles, and am happy to tailor the focus of lessons to students' interests whilst pushing the boundaries of their musical knowledge.
I am a composer and musician living in London. I am currently studying for a Masters in Composition at the Guildhall School, and my undergraduate degree was a BA in Music (First Class) at the University of Cambridge. I have several years' experience teaching music theory and composition, mostly to children age 6 to 14, though I am also keen to teach adults. I have a wide range of professional composing experience and commissions, and have a broad knowledge of different compositional styles. I have a Music Theory Diploma (with distinction), as well as Grade 8 Music Theory (with distinction).
24 hour cancellation policy - no refund if cancelled in the 24 hours prior to the lesson
2019 - 2021 (anticipated)
Guildhall School of Music and Drama
Artist Masters in Composition
2016 - 2019
University of Cambridge
BA in Music (Class I)
2009 — 2016
Sacred Heart Comprehensive, Newcastle upon Tyne
• A Levels: Music (A*), Maths (A*), Physics (A*)
• AS Level: English (A)
• GCSEs: 10 A*s
2014 — 2016
Sage Gateshead Weekend School
• AMusTCL (Distinction)
• Grade 8 Piano (Distinction) ABRSM
- Psappha ‘Composing For’ scheme 2019 — 20
- Illuminate Women’s Music 2019 Season II
- National Youth Choir of Great Britain Young Composers Scheme 2019
- ensemble recherche ‘Klassenarbeit’ with Cambridge University (2018 — 19)
- Workshop with the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group, Cambridge University Faculty of Music (2018)
- Sound and Music Next Wave 2 (2017 — 18)
- Helios Collectives ‘Formations’ 2017
- National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain Composer (2015 — 16)
Prizes, grants, competitions
- Winner of the Lord Mayor’s Composition Prize, 2020
- PRS Foundation’s Open Fund for Music Creators - grant for the development of a new opera
- Help Musicians UK Transmission Fund - grant to fund attendance of the Darmstadt International Festival 2020
- Academic Scholarship, Jesus College Cambridge
- Renfrew Prize for most significant contribution to the musical life of Jesus College
- The Sir James Knott Bursary, for academic record and general contribution to the life of Jesus College 2018
- Alan Pars Theatre Fund for hunger at the Edinburgh Fringe 2018
- Cambridge University Music Faculty Ord Travel Fund for travel to Paris 2017
- Shortlisted for the Royal Northern Sinfonia’s Young Composers competition with piece ‘a different kind’ 2016
- Honourable Mention in the Frost School of Music International Composing Competition for composition ‘away’
- Winner of the Gesualdo Six Composing Competition
music theory lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest composition lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, musicology lessons for all!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£35||£35|