I can tutor school children on a range of subjects: Eleven Plus exam preparation, English Language, History (up to and including A-Level), Mathematics (up to and including GCSE level), reading practice and music theory.
I use the first lesson to ascertain exactly what the student is hoping to achieve from the sessions, be that help to pass an exam, improve their confidence in a given subject, or simply assistance going through past papers. Following that I write up a structured plan, tailored to the student's ability and aspirations. From my personal experience, the best way to get to grips with various school subjects was to perfect examination technique by completing past papers or writing practice test answers. I am always happy to work through question papers together with students, or to set them work to complete during the week and then look through the answers and address any problems together. I always ensure that my lessons and lighthearted and student-led, I believe that students are at their most engaged when they feel comfortable, relaxed and happy and I try my best to ensure that students enjoy their lessons with me!
I am currently a Master's student at University College London (UCL), where I study Russian and Eastern European Politics and Security. I also completed my undergraduate studies at UCL where I graduated from my History degree with First Class Honours.
I have experience in tutoring students of various ages: most recently I worked as a teacher in Odessa, Ukraine where I taught English language to groups of adults. I also have experience working with children and teenagers. This has ranged from working with individual students to pass the Eleven Plus examinations, or with groups of children to develop their spoken English, or simply helping individuals with reading practice.
At school, I achieved 3 A*s in Maths, History and Music A-Level. As well as studying History at University, I have continued with music as my main hobby, playing the violin in university orchestras and often playing the piano in my spare time.
Isobel Thompson – Curriculum Vitae
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
University College London (School of Slavonic and East European Studies) and the Higher School of Economics, Moscow – International Master’s in Economy, State and Society: Politics and Security.
Year 1 grade (UCL): Distinction
Grades achieved in the following examined modules: Russian Foreign Policy (76), Russian Politics (67), Political Analysis (82), The Making of Modern Ukraine (70), Qualitative methods (70), Russian language (74)
2nd year of the programme at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow currently postponed until September 2021 due to COVID-19
2020 120-hour Premier TEFL qualification
2015-2018 University College London – BA History (1st Class Honours)
Dissertation on UK-Soviet cultural diplomacy (75)
2013-2018 Oakham School - A Levels: Mathematics A*, History A* Pre-U: Music D2 (equivalent to A* at A Level)
EPQ (independent study/research qualification): A
2011-2013 Nottingham Girls’ High School – GCSE’s: 9 A*s, 1A
EMPLOYMENT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Go! English, Odessa Ukraine – Teacher (August – October 2020)
- Taught weekly English classes to groups (ranging from 8-12 students) of adult language learners in Odessa, Ukraine. The classes were focused on developing the students’ vocabulary, comprehension and speaking skills.
Angloville Poland – Teacher and Mentor (Summer 2020)
- 210 hours’ volunteering experience as an English teacher and mentor for juniors (ages 11-19) in Poland.
- I worked closely with participants to develop their spoken language, vocabulary, grammar and comprehension. I was also allocated mentee groups to help prepare presentations, which they gave on the final day of the camp.
Post-Soviet Press Group, London UK – Editorial Assistant (October 2019 – June 2020)
- Worked with others in the editorial team to research and collate content for weekly Press Group bulletins, as well as presenting news at weekly meetings
- Edited submissions for the Post-Soviet Brief – analyses written by UCL postgraduate students and academics on political developments across the post-Soviet region
- Assisted with panel events and roundtables on current events relating to Russia and Eastern Europe
Henry Jackson Society – Russia and Eurasia Centre, London UK – Research Assistant (July – September 2020)
- Conducted research for reports and publications on the behalf of the director of the Russia and Eurasia Centre (acknowledged in the Society’s report: Russian Kleptocracy and the Rule of Law: How the Kremlin Undermines European Judicial Systems). This involved condensing large amounts of information relating to cases where Russian individuals and businesses have exploited western judicial systems. I produced a number of preliminary research reports for the Research Centre’s Director, Andrew Foxall.
- Involved in the drafting and editing process for opinion pieces published in British newspapers, e.g. The Times
- Assisted with HJS events held in the Houses of Parliament, such as ‘Holding Russia Accountable for MH17’ with Ukrainian Ambassador to the UK Natalia Halibarenko
CARE Fertility, Nottingham UK – Assistant to the Head of Marketing (October 2018 – July 2019)
- Managed and significantly expanded the outreach of the Company’s social media business accounts, managed Beacon CARE Fertility website (received training in Wordpress CMS)
- Liaised with patients daily, which required a sensitive, personable approach as well as a solid understanding of confidentiality
- Collaborated with digital marketing agencies to produce content for advertising purposes, assisted with coordinating marketing strategy for the opening of CARE Liverpool
- Initiated and set up weekly progress reports using collaborative software (Smartsheets) sent to Clinic Directors to keep them informed on marketing strategies and digital marketing reports
Next Century Foundation, London UK – Media and Political Intern (Summer 2018)
- Researched and wrote up to date reports for the NCF website on the complex, on-the-ground situation in conflict zones such as Libya and Syria based on first hand interviews
- Coordinated and took minutes at meetings held at NCF headquarters attended by Middle Eastern politicians, Western diplomats, journalists and others
IMG Artists, London UK – Intern in Conductors and Instrumentalists division (June – September 2016)
- Assisted with artist management; organised publicity materials and assisted with complex international travel arrangements
INTERESTS: Russian language (upper-intermediate, B2 level), violin (ABRSM Grade 8 Distinction), piano (ABRSM Grade 7 Merit)
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, 11+ school exam preparation lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£12||£12|