I believe that the best way to learn a language is to practice it - you must practice speaking, listening, reading and writing. All of these skills will be incorporated in my lessons. Furthermore, I believe classes should be fun for the learner and I will strive to create personally tailored classes for your needs. I will create engaging and challenging content based on your goals.
I can also help you with your classwork and any homework you don't understand.
I graduated with a degree in Arabic and Politics from the University of Edinburgh (upper second 2:1).
I recently completed a postgraduate degree in Advanced Arabic from the same university and achieved a first (1:1) which is the highest grade you can achieve.
I lived in Morocco for a year where I studied Arabic and gained important cultural knowledge.
Free cancellation if cancelled more than 48 hours in advance. If cancelling less than 48 hours in advance you pay 5 pounds for every hour cancelled.
Linguist (English, Dutch, Arabic and French) with an expected 1:1 and upper 2:1 degree in Arabic and Politics from the University of Edinburgh, with a passion to further develop interpretation and translation skills, in addition to a strong interest in human rights and refugee resettlement. Has significant experience working with Syrian refugees in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands and has lived for a year in Morocco with an Arabic family, thus gaining priceless cultural knowledge. Has significant experience working with Syrian refugees in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands and has lived for a year in Morocco.
University of Edinburgh, MA(Sc) Advanced Arabic, 2019-2020, expected 1:1 degree.
University of Edinburgh, MA(Honours) Arabic and Politics, 2015-2019, upper 2:1 degree.
• Year abroad at the American Language Institute of Fez, Morocco (2017-2018).
• During my year abroad attended weekly French classes at the Institut Français, Fez.
United World College Maastricht, International Baccalaureate Diploma, 2015, 41/45.
Languages: English (native), Dutch (native), Modern Standard Arabic (C2 on CEFRL), Levantine Dialect (B2), Egyptian Dialect (A2), Moroccan Dialect (A2) and French (B1).
Additional skills: Translation, teaching, communication, organisation, research, analysis, and excellent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Bar staff member at Quick Hire Recruitment, Edinburgh (August 2019 to January 2020)
• Worked as event staff member pouring and serving drinks at Murrayfield Stadium.
Customer Sales Assistant at GAP, Edinburgh (August 2019 to December 2019)
• Worked as a sales assistant and organised the stock and manned the till.
Internship at Infinitum Education, London (25 May 2018-31 July 2018)
• Worked in the business development and sales department and handled all onboarding with Russia, Belarus, Spain, and China.
Refugee Resettlement Internship at Vluchtelingenwerk Nederland, Heerlen, the Netherlands (1 June 2018 to 10 September 2018)
• Worked as an interpreter (Arabic-Dutch; Dutch-Arabic) and as a linguist proofreading documents and flyers;
• Worked as a social worker responsible for individual cases, house visits, and communications with local councils.
Course Representative for the Advanced Arabic class (2019 to 2020)
• Responsible for being the spokesperson between the university and the class and communicated class concerns.
Translator (Arabic-English and English-Arabic) at Syrian Futures (March to May 2020)
• Translated and proofread COVID-19 related documents and translated advertisements for online Zoom activities.
Interpreter (Arabic-English and English-Arabic) at Re-Act, Refugee Action Scotland (January to March 2020)
• Worked as a befriender to Syrian women and interpreted/translated class material.
Syrian men’s group at the Thistle Foundation in Edinburgh (October 2018-December 2018)
• Arabic interpreter for a work skills class and helped teach the men about necessary employment skills in Scottish society.
Teacher’s assistant at Friends of Fez Orphans in Fez (September 2017-April 2018)
• Involved playing and taking care of orphans aged 1-3 every Wednesday;
• Taught health and English classes in female juvenile detention center every Saturday.
English Teacher for refugee children in the Netherlands from the Internationale Schakelklas (September 2014 to April 2015)
• Gave extra-curricular English lessons to secondary-school students aged 15 to 18.
Care-giver at Vastrada retirement home, the Netherlands (September 2013 to June 2014)
• Cared for physically handicapped elderly people, mainly those suffering from parkinsonism.
English tutor, United World College Maastricht (September 2013 to June 2014)
• For middle-school aged children for whom English was a Second Language.
President of the Model United Nations Club at United World College Maastricht, the Netherlands (September 2013-June 2014)
• Planned the debate topics and led debates/club meetings on a weekly basis;
• Made research papers and resolutions for the debates.
Activities and Interests: Ballroom Dancing Society, Model United Nations Society, Edinburgh Political Union, Islamic Society. Passionate about cooking and baking, travelling and learning about other cultures, and growing my own food.
Sophia and I studied together for a Masters in Advanced Arabic, and she helped me a lot as I had been out of education for a while and had forgotten a lot of my grammar basics! Sophia is a great tutor; she is very good at explaining Arabic grammar from the basics to advanced, and is a really friendly and kind person too.
Thanks to her advanced Arabic skills, Sophia is a very competent and knowledgeable tutor who can explain complex matters in an understandable and clear way. She's very approachable and supportive.
Sophia Martin was a very kind and patient tutor to me. She helped me learn the basics of Arabic in a clear and comprehensible way. She’s very professional in her work, and was a pleasure to work with. I would recommend her to anyone!
arabic lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - arabic lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - arabic lessons for all!
Taking oral comprehension - arabic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£10|