I believe that all students learn differently and it is essential that the process in which they work best suits them in order to ensure they have the best chance at achieving their goals and progressing their education. Working with a variety of students has enabled me to recognise and understand how I can help students with their work and development by tutoring them in a way that best caterings to their learning techniques.
My name is Will I'm 22 and am passionate about becoming a tutor.
My principle experience with tutoring came whilst at secondary school when I was the prefect in charge of scholarship and learning. This meant that I was responsible for engaging with younger student’s work, ensuring that I was there to help them manage their workload as well as be an individual who they can go to for support with projects and course work. Throughout this period, I helped students prepare for exams by practising different revision techniques with them, as well as ensuring that they best understood the exam requirements and the marking criteria. Another one of my responsibilities was to also focus on the holistic approach to student’s education helping to organise guest speakers at the school. I believe that whilst it is important for education to help students achieve their goals and progress to the next stage, it is all essential for education to teach students important life skills that will help prepare the next stage of their life. Having this responsibility helped me to better understand how different students have a variety of requirements in order to maximise their capacity to learn and understand the work they are being set.
Furthermore, I am incredibly passionate about my specialist subjects and academics in general, and hope to be able to share that passion with others. Studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics as my chosen A-levels as well as my university degree has enabled me to develop both a broad and deep understanding of the subjects and their many intricacies. It has also given be the ability to understand the different requirements of competing subjects and how to perform to the highest standards in each with regard to essay writing techniques and numerical reasoning.
Travel costs will depend on the distance required to travel, I have a car so am able to easily travel to a student's home or an alternative location.
University of Exeter 2017 to date
Degree – Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Graduated with First Class Honors
Dean’s commendation obtained in first and second year
Modules studied include: Economic Principles and Policy (89%), Policy Issues in the Global Economy (83%), Personal Finance Management (79%), Basic Quantative Methods (79%)
Wellington College, Berkshire 2011-2016
A-level - Economics – A*, Politics – A*, RS: Philosophy and Ethics – A*
MYP (International Baccalaureate)
Eight 7’s (A* equivalent) in Maths, Biology, Physics, Philosophy, History, Spanish, Drama, DT
Three 6’s (A equivalent) in Chemistry, English, Personal Project
GCSE: A* Maths
Windlesham House School 2008-2011
Staxy - Co-founder of business 2019
- An application designed to improve efficiency and cost effectiveness of student travel.
Tate & Lyle PLC internal communications department 2019 (4 months)
- Worked on transferring large quantities of data from hard drives to a cloud server to improve access for employees. Worked on external communication methods with clients, researching and assessing different options available to the company focusing on cost effectiveness and ease of use for employees.
TTG - intern 2019 (3 weeks)
- Worked performing research tasks in order to source crowdfunding options, helped with website development and advised on the pitch to perspective donors. This taught me how to priorities tasks based on different factors such as necessity compared to timescale.
PwC Middle East - intern 2019 (3 weeks)
- Worked in the government consulting department on projects that required me to be able to analyse large data sets and draw conclusions from the information presented. I was tasked with aiding a spending review of a Saudi Arabian Ministry by collecting and reviewing information in order to perform a presentation to my team on my findings.
Tate & Lyle PLC - internal communications department 2018 (3 months)
- Headed projects focusing on removing all single use plastics from the offices, redesigning and creating a new Tate & Lyle office template as well as assisting with the publication of the annual report. This involved me working on the logistical side of office management as well as developing working relationships with other employees and business.
Tate & Lyle PLC internal communications department 2017 (3 months)
- I was part of the team that designed and created the new Tate and Lyle website as well as established a system for improving the accuracy of the distribution of their newsletter.
Gowlings WLG 2016 (3 months)
- Worked as a pupil performing research tasks to assist with on going cases within the Dubai Financial Centre. Enhanced my ability to identify key information and correlate sources in order to draw relevant conclusions. It also helped me to gain an understanding of different legal systems and regulations governing employment and financial services.
Bank of Middle East Dubai 2015 (1 month)
- Researched sovereign wealth funds and high net worth family offices and gained insight into wealth management industry. This help my ability to be able to gather large quantities of information and analyse them effectively to identify what is relevant
218 Strand Chambers London – Dubai 2015 (two weeks)
- Experienced various aspects of commercial and injury law whilst developing key skills regarding assessing, understanding and condensing large amounts of information.
Trowers and Hamlin LPP Dubai 2015 ( two weeks)
- Studied the workings of the Dubai court system, the different jurisdictions as well as developing a basic understanding of Sharia Law.
Windlesham House Prep School 2015 (1 month)
- Worked as assistant teacher/coach. This involved coaching PE classes and sports teams, helping to direct the leaves play, as well as taking junior maths and science classes.
CRED foundation 2011 (3 weeks)
- I participated in a charity trip to Hyderabad, India, where I worked at a local orphanage and school teaching all subjects to children ages 10-11. I also worked in the kitchen to help prepare school meals and as a sports teacher organizing games.
Leadership and working in a team
− Captain of school debating team – this involved organizing training sessions and performing research into current affairs for discussion as well as hosting and entering competitions
− House Prefect for Scholarship and Learning– this meant that I was responsible for ensuring individuals were coping with their workload and was an individual they could go to for support if required
− CCF RAF section for four years – this involved participating in leadership, first aid and team building courses
− Member of a team of 3 that designed an app as part of the Barclays young enterprise scheme that came in the top 20 out of 700 designs - 2015
− Wellington College Leadership Course
− Vice - Captain of school 1st football team – This meant being a leader both on and off the pitch as well as helping organise training
− Vice - Captain school Squash 1st team
− Major roles in 5 Schools plays - throughout my school years I have performed in plays, musicals and pantomimes in lead roles
− Invited to trial for the England schools debating team
− Grade 8 distinction for Public Speaking and Acting as part of a LAMDA course
− Performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival including one-man stand-up comedy in 2014
− Competed in the final of Oxford schools international schools debating competition – winning one of the 3 times I was there
− Wellington College student ambassador
Self motivation and independence
− Awarded an Scholarship at school for all-round achievement
− Commendation for academic and extra-curricular effort for all 5 years at Wellington
− Travelled extensively around South East Asia in 2017 – this taught me how to use my initiative to solve problem and work independently
− Qualified Master Scuba Diver and first aider
− Completed a PwC governance course
− Member of University of Exeter societies: Politics, PPE, Business and Finance society, Football
− Sports: Football, Squash, Rugby, Cricket
− Current Affairs
Mr. David Edwards, House Master, Wellington College
Jennifer Bibbings, ex Partner, Trowers and Hamlin
Alissa Clarke, Senior Manager, Tate & Lyle PLC
(contact details can be supplied)
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest economics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, philosophy lessons for all!
Taking politics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|