I believe that the most important role of an educator is to build children's confidence in their own natural abilities. Inspired by Carol Dweck's research into 'fixed' and 'growth' mindsets, I develop a 'growth' mindset in each of my students so they know that through dedication, hard work and a supportive learning environment, they can comfortably and confidently achieve their learning goals. To do this, I tailor my programme to suit the needs and talents of each individual child, and make learning a fun, positive experience for all my students.
I have over 500 hours of teaching experience and am trained in Singapore Math and balanced literacy curricula (phonics, phonological awareness, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension).
In addition, I offer Spanish, German, Russian and Latin language and literature teaching, and have intimate knowledge of the US college application process (in particular Ivy League).
I can offer one-on-one or group tutoring, in person or online.
Columbia University, MA in Philosophy and Education (admitted for autumn 2021)
Princeton University, BA in Comparative Literature (2015-2019)
- Courses in linguistics, German language and literature, Russian language and literature, social psychology, philosophy and ethics, et al.
- Two-time recipient of German Department book prize awarded to top student in course
Stephen Perse Foundation (2008-2015)
- Academic Scholar and Student President
- A Levels: Latin A*; History A; Spanish A; Maths A
- GCSEs: 9 A*s in English Language, English Literature, Spanish, Maths, Latin, Physics, Religious Studies, Russian, History; 3 As in Chemistry, Biology, Drama
Associate Teacher, MUSE Academy, New York, USA (2019-2020)
- Instructed Kindergarten and First Grade classroom
- Developed curriculum and instructional material for science and social studies classes
- Taught Lucy Calkins' Teachers College Reading and Writing Project for language arts instruction and Singapore Math
- Significant remote teaching experience
- SAT exams
- Constructed and executed weekly lesson plans
FEEDBACK FROM PARENTS:
"It's hard for us to even express the extent of our gratitude for your work with [child's name] over this year. You really just rocked it and [child's name] thrived because of your work."
"We really appreciate you and your genuine compassion for your students."
I had the privilege of working with Cecily this past year. She is a wonderful person and educator. I was so impressed with her ability to meet the individual needs of each student in the large classroom. She gets to know her students and figures out how to challenge them and educate them in a loving, nurturing, supportive way. I imagine she could do this incredibly well with any age group. She's smart, compassionate, curious, and dedicated. Since knowing her, she has taught me so much about childcare and totally changed the way I view teaching. She educates me in new ways every time that I interact with her.
Cecily is a very good teacher - she has a lovely manner and an infectious enthusiasm for her subject. I would definitely recommend Cecily.
Cecily is an inspiring tutor who has a real gift with children. I have been very impressed by her infectious enthusiasm for the subjects she teaches and patient guidance. I would not hesitate to recommend her.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest test prep lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literacy lessons for all!
Taking phonetics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£50||£50|